Jokes

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
b-engine

Re: Jokes

Post by b-engine » February 11th, 2024, 7:20 am

(Completely fictional, loosely based on Pi-R-Squared spaceship)

I've seen a (282,57)c/10389 spaceship naturally occuring from a 256x256 soup. Unfortunately, I've lost the soup along with the spaceship. The only thing I could remember it that it's made of several common methuselae like Bs, Herschels, pis and more interacting with each other, resulting in a spaceship. This high-period spaceship emits a lot of sparks, means that it destroy almost everything on it's path, make it indestructable. It's population is 5869, having bounding box of 458*799.
Most LtL patterns under 8x8 bounding box and smallest LtL camelship
My rules

-

100th post: 18 November 2023
1000th post: 8 March 2024
10000th post:

-

Do not capitalize my username. Also you can edit quotes cause I don't like very long quotes.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » February 11th, 2024, 7:26 am

H. H. P. M. P. Cole wrote:
February 11th, 2024, 5:52 am
[...] a technology developed in 2031 which was a simple and fast pi to loafer+copperhead had been discovered and used to make loafer guns of all periods.

The predominant spaceship-based technologies in 2050 no longer include the glider; they mainly utilize it as an intermediate to convert between the Big Five: [...]
Unfortunately, what was formerly called the loafer got renamed into flying saucer, what was flying saucer was renamed into UFO 1, and an U-turner-based orthogonal 3c/17 p289 spaceship discovered in 2033 got named 'loafer', all for reasons that are not entirely clear.
[...] However, the most striking thing was when I found out ConwayLife.com had split into several websites. [...]
The proposal Cellular Automaton Stack Exchange finally got implemented in 2029, after restarting it 11 times.
Finally, Dave Greene's nonalogy/ennealogy (is that a word?) of books has been completed and released to the world.
Unfortunately, by the time when the ninth book was released, the planned series expanded to 451 volumes, to be written by future generations of cellular automatologists and recreational mathematicians.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

b-engine

Post by b-engine » February 11th, 2024, 11:58 pm

It turns out to be funny when you translate a LifeWiki page:
笑饵是一个23 细胞静物画,主要以蜂蜜农场催化剂而闻名。它的用途可以在蜂蜜农场麻烦者和蜂蜜农场穿梭机页面上看到。使用笑饵反应的已知周期包括 24、36、43、59、60、70、83 和 102 (对于振荡器),以及34、52、60、61、72、74和143(对于可以加盖形成振荡器的枪)。

“chucklebait”这个名字最初是由用户 confocaloid 提出的,因为它的 apgcode 的第一部分是“4aklb88”。尽管有这个名字,它并不是一个诱饵物体,因为它在用作催化剂时永远不会被破坏。

Chucklebait 催化了蜂蜜农场的前身

使用附加鱼钩的反应动画,除了释放滑翔机之外,还可以防止垃圾撞上笑饵

一个eater和dot Spark配置,通常可以作为chucklebait的替代品

滑翔机合成
截至 2023 年 6 月,已知最便宜的合成成本为 11 架滑翔机。2023年6月发现了11-glider 合成物。2023年3月发现了18个滑翔机的合成。之前的合成需要24个滑翔机,并且使用增量合成,而不是基于汤的合成。然而,它很少出现在不对称汤中,因此很自然。

24架滑翔机合成

Chucklebait 催化剂的变体可以用 9 个滑翔机构建;2022年11月发现了9G合成物。
目录: 此处

另请参阅
AK-47反应,另一个蜂蜜农场+物体→滑翔机反应
0 度保色反射镜(2023 年 3 月)
斯纳克64
参考文献
大卫·劳奇(2022 年 11 月 25 日)。回复: ConwayLife.com 论坛上的振荡器讨论主题(讨论主题)
卢克·基尔南(2022 年 11 月 29 日)。回复: ConwayLife.com 论坛上的 Honey Farm Catalysts(讨论主题)
马蒂亚斯·梅泽尼奇(2023 年 6 月 27 日)。回复: ConwayLife.com 论坛上的2022 年年度模式提名(讨论主题)
Adam P. Goucher的Catagolue 的xs23_4aklb88gzw6a871
新宿 (#4493862113) (2023 年 6 月 18 日)。该工作由GitLab Catagolue 项目的Adam P. Goucher触发。
Chris857(2023 年 6 月 17 日)。回复: ConwayLife.com 论坛上的静物合成主题(讨论主题)
GUYTU6J(2023 年 6 月 18 日)。回复: ConwayLife.com 论坛上的静物合成主题(讨论主题)
新宿 (#3869010760) (2023 年 3 月 3 日)。该工作由GitLab Catagolue 项目的Adam P. Goucher触发。
共焦(2023 年 3 月 3 日)。回复: ConwayLife.com 论坛上的静物合成主题(讨论主题)
xs23_4aklb88gzw6a871(存档副本)
affamatodidio(2023 年 3 月 31 日)。回复: ConwayLife.com 论坛上的 Catalyst 讨论主题(讨论主题)
新宿 (#3350466326) (2022 年 11 月 19 日)。该工作由GitLab Catagolue 项目的Adam P. Goucher触发。
轻型太空飞船(通常缩写为LWSS)或(很少)小鱼[1]是最小的正交太空飞船,也是仅次于滑翔机的第二常见太空飞船。它以速度c/2移动,周期为 4(因此通常称为 2c/4)。它是由约翰·康威于1970 年发现的。
My rules

-

10000th post:

-

Do not capitalize my username. Also you can edit quotes cause I don't like very long quotes.

H. H. P. M. P. Cole
Location: Error: 'H. H. P. M. P. Cole' has no attribute 'location'.

Post by H. H. P. M. P. Cole » February 12th, 2024, 1:20 am

(sequel to the first time-travel session)

Hello everyone, I have come back from another time-travel session, just after I left the first one.

Another expert, Dave Greene's student (can't remember his username), came to answer my next question. "What are the new discoveries in Life and OCA?"

He replied five minutes after I asked the question. Calcyman's student, banerjee_a, took on the mammoth task of reducing most of calcyman's megapatterns using modern technology - Snarks, rectifiers, and reduced conduits. The 0E0P metacell was reduced again, this time small enough to fit into LifeViewer.

The mythical Life-Grounded Life spaceship was proven impossible in 2032 using SAT solvers and a method called the Goucher-Waans-Kiernan theorem, named after calcyman, kieven_waans, and ljkiernan respectively. Unfortunately, just after this, dvgrn and Nathaniel retired and decided to add two more mods: hotdogPi and JP21. Haycat2009 and I became mods of our own forums, HaycatGrounded and ColeFactorio.

Catagolue reached 2 undecillion soups in b3s23/C1 on 3 Feb 2050. GPU searches were modified to include all rules that can be supported using apgtables. New quantum symmetries, like Q1 and R8 were created, though this is only in the testing stage.

Among some of the new natural objects found were a Kok's galaxy, a 2EC, and a c/18 ship, which has a minpop of 80 cells. It is currently dubbed the platinumhead.

A 3c/10 based on the pi was created, and it was sufficiently small to build 3c/10 rakes and puffers.

A -find for every letter in the alphabet was created, including jfind, which is a spaceship finding program optimized for quantum computers, and supports HROT rules.

In 2033, pcallahan found a way to make dynamic CGOL constructions in real life using a compound of element 119 (name redacted to prevent paradoxes).

The mythical (7,1)c/8 spaceship was found by wildmyron, silversmith, and tessaron_parker independently in 2028. Here it is, in the Golly 18.pi pattern collection:

Code: Select all

#N falconship.rle
#O wildmyron, silversmith, and tessaron_parker, 17-31 Jan 2028
#C This is the first (7,1)c/8 spaceship found in an INT rule.
#C Smaller spaceships of this velocity have been found
#C in the same rule.
#C Reference: <REDACTED>
x = 60, y = 418, rule = B2a<REDACTED>
<REDACTED>
Sadly, the rule is explosive.

To allow the exploration of large rulespaces, an automatic rulegolfer, or Rule Explorer was finally created. Here is a transcription of Golly 18.pi Rule Explorer (text altered with my comments):

Welcome to Golly 18.pi Rule Explorer!

Select dimension: 0/1/2/3/4/complex 1-dimensional/fractal (enter Hausdorff dimension)/other
Select geometry: Euclidean/hyperbolic
Select time: discrete/continuous
Select lattice: (depends heavily on dimension)
Select symmetry: (click on a group name in the set of subsets of the full symmetry group of the lattice)
Select neighbourhood: (click on cells in a lattice, cells automatically fill depending on symmetry)
Select number of states: 2/3/4/other
Select changing conditions (this is like an interactive ruletable generator)
Miraculously, nbsearch2a still works with this mess. nbsearch2a was updated and renamed to oscsearch56, the latest version by DvgrnNeverDies.

The 451-volume series of books was incomplete, with only 13 books complete. The four that were not in the Ennealogy were about 2EC technology, building an Orthogonoid/Demonoid, OCA scripts, and a long overview of all the rulespaces in OCA, including a Build-Your-Own-Rule kit. A volume on Factorio is still in the works.

Factorio became the first HROT non-Moore rule with megapatterns, including a Life metacell, a 17c/947 macroship, a ln(2) calculator. It is, by 2050, the most explored HROT non-Moore rule.

On the topic of general INT exploration the CAViewer notation has been supported in LifeViewer, allowing arbitrary isotropic rules with 8 cells in the neighbourhood as well as R2 von Neumann isotropic and R3 Cross isotropic to be explored as fully as INT was in 2030.

I hope this helps! Please let me know which date to time-travel to next...
Last edited by H. H. P. M. P. Cole on February 14th, 2024, 12:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Harfordson Parker-Cole

Factorio

b-engine

Post by b-engine » February 12th, 2024, 2:23 am

(Still completely fictional, based on the fictional (282,57)c/10389 ship)
Me, from 2034, had time-travelled back to 2024. I've finally rediscovered the (282,57)c/10389 ship from a 512x512 soup, which I've seen it at 2024.
The ship is rediscovered at 2030, at time I've named it "PHBRT".
Sadly, the RLE is corrupted when I travel back in time.

#N PHBRT.rle
#O b-engine, 15 March 2030
#C This is the only known (282,57)c/10389 spaceship.
#C It's also the slowest known oblique spaceship.
x = 458, y = 799, rule = B3/S23
<CORRUPTED>
EDIT by "future me":
At 2034, my rule, Hash1 and Hash2 are proven omniperiodic and omnivelocitic. A Hash1 metacell is made in both Life and Hash1.

#N Hash1 metacell.rle
#O APG & b-engine, 25 February 2033
#This is the first Hash1 metacell in Hash1. 
#The pattern below is the metacells emulating a p36 oscillator.
x = 65540, y = 65540, rule = R2,C0,S4-6,B5-6,N#
<CORRUPTED>
EDIT by "me in 2050":
Now there's a 0E0P metacell in Hash2, enough to been fit in LifeViewer. The metacell can simulate any rule the RuleLoader in 2024 can emulate.

#N 0E0P RuleLoader Metacell
#O Haycat & b-engine, 14 June 2048
#C The first 0E0P metacell in Hash2, can simulate RuleLoader rules.
#C The pattern below is emulating B-loop.
x = 1030, y = 1030, rule = R3,C0,S5-9,B7-9,N#
<CORRUPTED>
My rules

-

10000th post:

-

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » February 15th, 2024, 10:32 am

Just found search programs from the future (Although most are already in development, from 2081 if interested.)
nfind (Has a partial rating system, do not want to explain too much)
jfind (Uses fuzzy logic and can operate on infinitely many computers at the same time)
kfind (Even if you put a low RAM limit, it still keeps on going as it selects the most hopeful partial and continues from there, deleting everything else)
ffind (Almost guarenteed to find a spaceship, fast and does not care about period, but uses tons of RAM.)
ifind (Very fast and uses little RAM, but finds oscillators 90% of the time)
lfind (An algamation of LLS and ifind. Slower but will always have spaceships)
dfind (Apparently found by me, an algamation of LLS, LLSSS and ixpx2. Uses much RAM but very effective, and does not care about period)
sfind (Fast, uses little RAM and does not care about period, but has a tendency to find still lifes. Apparently based on afind.)
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

b-engine

Post by b-engine » February 15th, 2024, 11:37 am

(I'm currently designing a UCC, which could in theory programmed to emulate the AI below, but I don't do this first)

While running a 256x256 soup in B-Univ, I found something strange in the center. It seems to have a roughly same design as what I'm making - a UCC.
After it was complete, it starts to clear up the junks around it, but turned out to be very hard. Then, it prints a sentence: "Help, I can't clear those mess".
Afterwards, I cleared everything expect this UCC, then it prints "Thanks!"
I wrote a text below it: "Try to get a prime larger than 65536." The UCC reads the text, then prints a very large prime number (it's too large to write here). It solves an unknown problem!
I told it to simulate a typical 64x64 Life soup, then it start to print some dots at the rest of the universe. When told to simulate itself, it prints larger 2x2 dots as "metacells".
Then, I told it to create a copy of itself, then destruct it. It done exactly what I want it to do.
Unfortunately, it'd attacked by something else (maybe a chaotic growth), then it failed before I can copy it, never come back again.

EDIT:
Am I and GUYTU6J the only active users that understand Chinese?
斯巴达通用计算机构造器

Spartan 通用计算机构造器是康威生命游戏中通用计算机的实现,由Adam P. Goucher于2009 年设计和构建。

架构
计算机包含 11 个滑块存储器寄存器,能够存储任何正整数(包括零)。其中三个由微代码直接使用;其他八个可以免费使用该程序。

除此之外,还提供八个门(简单的两种状态开关)用于快速布尔存储。

最后,计算机具有三种磁带(程序磁带、数据磁带和标记磁带)。程序磁带由eater 1组成并且是只读的,而其他两个磁带由块组成并且可以在运行时更改。

该机器还具有一个查普曼-格林构造臂,能够通过慢速齐射 滑翔机合成来合成任何东西。因为机器本身完全由七个或更少单元的静物组成,所以足够的程序磁带将允许机器永远自我复制。这可以模拟(难度越来越大)吹气机、耙子或宇宙飞船。古彻本人估计最多需要10 18代才能完全繁殖。

与其他通用计算机的比较
由于机器的架构,它比其他通用计算机有几个优点:

它相对容易编程,因为指令集允许使用一串指令来执行基本算术运算、按位移位和逻辑运算。
主存储器是二进制的,这意味着它存储的数据比同等的寄存器机更加紧凑。
条件跳转是相对的,而不是绝对的,因此可以将子例程复制到程序中,而无需更改指针。
设计缺陷
到 2010 年,人们就知道只要读取“1”位,UCC 的内存磁带就会发生泄漏滑翔。这些滑翔机在不损坏机制的情况下逃脱,但需要对内存磁带组件进行一些重要的重新设计,才能产生没有这些“内存泄漏”的“安全”版本的 Spartan UCC。
EDIT 3:
I asked Gemini to give a list of universal CA, then it gives me this:
Gemini wrote:While there are several 2D cellular automata demonstrating computational universality, achieving both computational and constructional universality in the same 2D automaton is a much more challenging feat. Determining constructional universality often involves proving the ability to construct arbitrary Turing machine configurations within the cellular automaton, which can be highly complex.

Currently, no single 2D cellular automaton is definitively proven to be both computationally and constructionally universal. However, several promising candidates exist and are actively researched:

1. Game of Life: While not proven constructionally universal, the Game of Life exhibits computational universality through simulating Turing machines with specific configurations. Research suggests its potential for constructional universality, but significant theoretical challenges remain.

2. X-Rule, Precursor-Rule, and Sayab-Rule: These relatively simple 2D automata demonstrate computational universality, but their constructional universality is also unproven. Further research is needed to explore their capabilities in this regard.

3. Isothermal 2D Automata: Theoretical considerations suggest that specific isothermal 2D automata with a large number of states (over 32) have the potential for both computational and constructional universality. However, proving this rigorously remains an open problem.

4. Quantum Cellular Automata: Recent proposals for 2D quantum cellular automata raise intriguing possibilities for achieving both types of universality by leveraging quantum phenomena. However, these are still highly theoretical and require substantial development.

It's important to note that research in this area is ongoing, and discoveries could change the landscape in the future. If you're interested in this topic, keeping track of advancements in cellular automata research is recommended. Additionally, understanding the complexities and nuances of defining and proving both computational and constructional universality is crucial for evaluating any claims of universal 2D cellular automata.
Gemini wrote:Unfortunately, there are currently no known 2D cellular automata that are both computationally and constructionally universal. While some 2D CA rules exhibit computational universality, meaning they can simulate any Turing machine, none have been proven to be constructionally universal.

Here's a breakdown of the terms:

Computationally universal: This means the cellular automaton can perform any computation that a Turing machine can do. Essentially, it can simulate any computer program.
Constructionally universal: This means the cellular automaton can be used to build any other cellular automaton, including itself. In simpler terms, it can be used to create any other CA configuration.
Here are some key points to understand:

Computational universality is easier to achieve than constructional universality. Many 2D CA rules have been shown to be computationally universal, including Conway's Game of Life, Rule 110, and BJKL.
Constructional universality is incredibly difficult to achieve, especially in 2D. While 1D cellular automata have numerous constructionally universal examples, the added complexity of 2D makes it much harder to find similar rules.
There's ongoing research in this area. Researchers are constantly exploring new CA rules and methods to determine if constructional universality in 2D is possible.
While there's no definitive list of both computationally and constructionally universal 2D CA, here are some resources you might find helpful:

List of computationally universal cellular automata: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_automaton
Paper on the difficulty of constructional universality in 2D: https://arxiv.org/list/nlin.CG/recent
Research group dedicated to cellular automata: https://www.wolframscience.com/nks/p176 ... -automata/
I hope this information is helpful!
My rules

-

10000th post:

-

b-engine

Post by b-engine » February 17th, 2024, 4:25 am

(Ok doublepost)

Normal person: What's construction arm?
Another normal person: Crane or something like that.
Life enthusiast: No no no. They're done using gliders and a block.
CA enthusiast: Not that. The arm is signals inside a wire.
Another CA enthusiast: You're all wrong. They're done using "particles".
Life enthusiast: Wait. The spaceship you called "particles" should be called gliders.
CA enthusiast: No. They should run in wires instead of empty space. Wa-
*Everyone rebelling and blaming*
Normal person: Stop. Everyone stop. They're all construction arms.
Everyone else: *slap*
My rules

-

10000th post:

-

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » February 18th, 2024, 8:47 am

crossposted from irc:
what does a goat buy at a hardware shop? ram.
If there is UNO and DOS there should also be a TRES...
WP:GOLDiLOCKsANDTHETHREEBEARS
whats a bad admins favorite game? badminton
which part of wikipedia does a tiger spend most of his time? the CATegories!
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

my hands are typing words!

currently offline. work sucks.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » February 18th, 2024, 11:24 am

haaaaaands wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 8:47 am
WP:DRAGON wrote:The WikiDragon contributes through usually dramatic, bold, and often grandiose edits. These enhancements and improvements are often based on their vast knowledge or a long night of searching for references. A WikiDragon may tend to leave trivialities such as correcting grammar, adding wikilinks, and overall wordsmithing to WikiElves, WikiGnomes, and other WikiFauna creatures. WikiDragons typically fall into one of two types: focusing intensely on a single article, or making a much broader number of changes throughout a large variety of articles within a small timeframe. As a whole, there's no evidence they consistently fit into either of the two common Wikipedia user realms of battleground or playpen.

#C https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Dragon
x = 29, y = 18, rule = B3/S23
12bo$12b2o14bo$10bob2o5bobo4b2o$5bo3bo3b3o2bo4bo$2o3bo2bo6bobo5b3o2bo
$2o3bob2o6bo3bobobo$2o3bo10bobo7b2o$5b2o14bo6bo$7bo12bobo$7bo12bobo$5b
2o14bo6bo$2o3bo10bobo7b2o$2o3bob2o6bo3bobobo$2o3bo2bo6bobo5b3o2bo$5bo
3bo3b3o2bo4bo$10bob2o5bobo4b2o$12b2o14bo$12bo!
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » February 19th, 2024, 2:10 am

b-engine wrote:
February 15th, 2024, 11:37 am
Am I and GUYTU6J the only active users that understand Chinese?
Nope! I was thought Chinese at Raffles Institution.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » February 19th, 2024, 2:11 am

confocaloid wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 11:24 am
WP:DRAGON wrote:The WikiDragon contributes through usually dramatic, bold, and often grandiose edits. These enhancements and improvements are often based on their vast knowledge or a long night of searching for references. A WikiDragon may tend to leave trivialities such as correcting grammar, adding wikilinks, and overall wordsmithing to WikiElves, WikiGnomes, and other WikiFauna creatures. WikiDragons typically fall into one of two types: focusing intensely on a single article, or making a much broader number of changes throughout a large variety of articles within a small timeframe. As a whole, there's no evidence they consistently fit into either of the two common Wikipedia user realms of battleground or playpen.
You are referring to me, right? (All the more reason not to be hammered, apparently there are few in the world, and it would contribute to stereotypes!)
WP:DRAGON wrote: WikiDragons most often make bold edits that may attract attention. These edits will at times, lead to edit wars, are tagged for deletion by another user—perhaps because that user is attempting to "clean up" – or maybe reverted on-sight as POV-pushing (even though the majority of WikiDragons keep their biases well-hidden or subdued). This and other vilification of WikiDragons by angry mobs (sometimes as small as even three or four users banded together—unless one of them finally gets permablocked) has led to a drastic reduction in WikiDragons willing to emerge from their cave homes.
While some may consider this to be a problem, Wikipedia administrators, in large part, hesitate to stop the destruction of these noble WikiFey for reasons of wikipolitics, fear of repercussions, personal hatred of WikiDragons in general, or other motivations. Some administrators have even been known to actively hunt WikiDragons!
Anyways, time for me to get the template on my profile. All the more protection for me, against something that seems UNREASONABLE. That hammer for nothing is ridiculous!

(If the trout was used, at least I knew what I did wrong)

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » February 19th, 2024, 6:52 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 2:11 am
You are referring to me, right?
As with the memes thread, I am instituting the following rules:
  1. Jokes about cellular automata only.
  2. No jokes about other users.
The first post in this thread has been edited to include these rules.
-Matthias Merzenich

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » February 19th, 2024, 11:57 am

Just to be clear, no I was not referring to anyone in particular. There are enough dragons in the universe to make it hard to count or sometimes distinguish them.
That was not CA-related though, besides a mention of the pattern dragon.
confocaloid wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 11:24 am
haaaaaands wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 8:47 am

#C https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Dragon
x = 29, y = 18, rule = B3/S23
12bo$12b2o14bo$10bob2o5bobo4b2o$5bo3bo3b3o2bo4bo$2o3bo2bo6bobo5b3o2bo
$2o3bob2o6bo3bobobo$2o3bo10bobo7b2o$5b2o14bo6bo$7bo12bobo$7bo12bobo$5b
2o14bo6bo$2o3bo10bobo7b2o$2o3bob2o6bo3bobobo$2o3bo2bo6bobo5b3o2bo$5bo
3bo3b3o2bo4bo$10bob2o5bobo4b2o$12b2o14bo$12bo!
Haycat2009 wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 2:11 am
You are referring to me, right? (All the more reason not to be hammered, apparently there are few in the world, and it would contribute to stereotypes!)
Unlikely events happen.

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » February 21st, 2024, 11:52 am

i don't really know where to post this.
inspired by the comic depicting a checkmate as seen by the chess pieces, this is a collision as seen by a pair of gliders.
Attachments
i drew this during a job meeting xd
i drew this during a job meeting xd
IMG_20240221_164719_600.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 716 times
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » February 23rd, 2024, 12:17 pm

The best rule is one where soups don't boil over despite the high collision frequency, and yield many toads, snakes and scorpions. Let a spider approach a loaf on a billiard table, and hassle the rulestring until singular killer toads start escaping from the collision. Evolve the resulting broth in an inflated ring of fire for 100-200 ticks and put the ash in the refrigerator.
Unlikely events happen.

b-engine

Post by b-engine » February 24th, 2024, 1:49 am

Why Spartans need to cooperate to win? Because they're SUCCess!
My rules

-

10000th post:

-

hotcrystal0

Post by hotcrystal0 » February 24th, 2024, 10:43 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
February 15th, 2024, 10:32 am
Just found search programs from the future (Although most are already in development, from 2081 if interested.)
nfind (Has a partial rating system, do not want to explain too much)
jfind (Uses fuzzy logic and can operate on infinitely many computers at the same time)
kfind (Even if you put a low RAM limit, it still keeps on going as it selects the most hopeful partial and continues from there, deleting everything else)
ffind (Almost guarenteed to find a spaceship, fast and does not care about period, but uses tons of RAM.)
ifind (Very fast and uses little RAM, but finds oscillators 90% of the time)
lfind (An algamation of LLS and ifind. Slower but will always have spaceships)
dfind (Apparently found by me, an algamation of LLS, LLSSS and ixpx2. Uses much RAM but very effective, and does not care about period)
sfind (Fast, uses little RAM and does not care about period, but has a tendency to find still lifes. Apparently based on afind.)
yfind: very slow and consumes a lot of RAM, but is useful in finding high-period spaceships. As an example, the first 2c/11o was found using it
There are even ones that use accented letters:
áfind: Like afind, but three times faster, but doesn’t care about period
üfind: does not support finding spaceships, but can find high-period oscillators. Found a P41 sparker that was used for completing vex
éfind: only supports French as a language, so I wasn’t able to know what it does, even by just playing around with it
èfind: fast and consumes little RAM, basically a combination of gfind and LLS, but doesn’t support speeds higher than c/3o or c/5d
ñfind: only supports Spanish as a language, so if anyone has information on it, then tell me
ğfind: gfind but fast and can only be used to extend partials

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » February 24th, 2024, 1:33 pm

hotcrystal0 wrote:
February 24th, 2024, 10:43 am
ñfind: only supports Spanish as a language, so if anyone has information on it, then tell me
es como qfind pero en español
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

NimbleRogue

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by NimbleRogue » February 29th, 2024, 12:53 am

confocaloid wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 9:55 am
I made these spaceships into [url=viewtopic.php?p=164871#p164871]oscillators in a weighted-neighbourhood rule
This glider is so cursed

x = 5, y = 5, rule = R3,C2,S5-7,B5-7,NW0000000002020200000000020102000000000202020000000
2bobo2$o3bo2$4bo!

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-cnqy4e5kr6n7c/S2-i3-ay4einrtyz5cejn6cin78
bo$3o$ob2o!

#14c/85265o
x = 10, y = 4, rule = B2-an3-iqy4iknrtz5aijqy6aei78/S02ck3nqy4eiqrtwy5-ekq6-i78
2bo4bo$3b4o$ob6obo$2b6o!

H. H. P. M. P. Cole
Location: Error: 'H. H. P. M. P. Cole' has no attribute 'location'.

Post by H. H. P. M. P. Cole » February 29th, 2024, 2:44 am

hotcrystal0 wrote:
February 24th, 2024, 10:43 am
There are even ones that use accented letters:
áfind: Like afind, but three times faster, but doesn’t care about period
üfind: does not support finding spaceships, but can find high-period oscillators. Found a P41 sparker that was used for completing vex
éfind: only supports French as a language, so I wasn’t able to know what it does, even by just playing around with it
èfind: fast and consumes little RAM, basically a combination of gfind and LLS, but doesn’t support speeds higher than c/3o or c/5d
ğfind: gfind but fast and can only be used to extend partials
(I have time-travelled from 2050 again)

öfind: gfind, aber es ist auf Deutsch

In addition, I have heard of ubsxyegfind, which in 2033, was used to find the second 0EC, which is c/12d. The first 0EC, found a year earlier, had a speed of 8c/96d, but it used the LoM-based reaction instead.

There is also rulefind, a github program which finds rules with a specific property. However, it only operates within the HROT isotropic weighted set of rules. Still a lot of rules, mind you. The default weights are of the form 5^m*9^n to allow the maximum number of rules in the smallest space of numbers. For example, rulefind's Weighted Moore preset is:

1 5 1
5 0 5
1 5 1
And weighted R2 Moore is (in decimal):

0001 0005 0045 0005 0001
0005 0225 1125 0225 0005
0045 1125 0000 1125 0045
0005 0225 1125 0225 0005
0001 0005 0045 0005 0001
It's method somehow involves graph theory, but I'm not sure which algorithm it uses (it was written in Python 11 and C++34), so I can't read the code.

Rulefind uses a machine learning algorithm (or so it seems), which was used to solve several CA-related challenges. It is an extension of a combination of EPE, rlifesrc, and apgsearch, and does the exploring for you in a rule, so you don't have to. The fun bit is when you discover technology that the program hasn't found. Only then it is considered notable.

============================================================================

Another one of mine:

Lepatitis: When you have done too much LeapLife
Last edited by H. H. P. M. P. Cole on April 19th, 2024, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harfordson Parker-Cole

Factorio

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » February 29th, 2024, 5:27 am

February 29th, 2024, 2:44 am

Another one of mine:

Arn't lepas carriers of leperosy?

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » February 29th, 2024, 7:31 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 5:27 am

Another one of mine:

In reality, such rumours and fears are absolutely unfounded. Lepas are totally safe, and are a great choice as a pet for kids.
Unlikely events happen.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » February 29th, 2024, 10:22 am

confocaloid wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 7:31 am
Haycat2009 wrote:

Another one of mine:

In reality, such rumours and fears are absolutely unfounded. Lepas are totally safe, and are a great choice as a pet for kids.
Yeah, of course they are good when quarantined and vaccinated. They often carry Mycobacterium leprae when infected, though.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » February 29th, 2024, 10:35 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 10:22 am
confocaloid wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 7:31 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
Yeah, of course they are good when quarantined and vaccinated. They often carry Mycobacterium leprae when infected, though.
^^ Another unsubstantiated claim, apparently.
...even with the increased use of fish as experimental laboratory animals seen in recent years, there have been no credible reports of successful infection and replication of M. leprae in fish.[1]

[1] Lepr Rev (2010) 81, 89 – 95
Unlikely events happen.