Gustavo Ramos Rehermann's patterns

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Gustavo6046

Gustavo Ramos Rehermann's patterns

Post by Gustavo6046 » December 8th, 2013, 10:21 am

Discuss. With me. Why don't people let me write in other threads?
Last edited by Gustavo6046 on September 30th, 2015, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yawn* What a nothing-to-do day! Let's be the only person in the world to do CGOL during boring times. :)

towerator

Re: Gustavo Ramos Rehermann's patterns

Post by towerator » December 8th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Sorry to say that, but if we had to discover every instable objects/their final state, there would be millions of pages in the wiki...
Besides, the first would be more like the " C-pentomino".
Today's quest in GoL is to synthetise every 20-cell objects with gliders (smallest moving ships) Recently, a replicator "aka a pattern capable of reproducing itself) was built. So there are many trings to discover avout GoL!
But well... If it is without Golly I cannot say many things.
This is game of life, this is game of life!
Loafin' ships eaten with a knife!

Sphenocorona

Post by Sphenocorona » February 2nd, 2015, 7:42 pm

The 'short table' you posted cannot be used as an induction coil, as one of its cells would die from overpopulation. If it could be, then all patterns with buns or bookends as induction coils could be madee smaller.

Also, I would refrain from adding every single new discovery to LifeWiki, as the point of LifeWiki is to document important or otherwise unique objects. Usually, pages should be made when the object has been confirmed to be new on the forums and has a unique property such as smallest known ____ or first known ____ or such. (Some unique and interesting patterns are unfortunately undocumented as of yet; I would definetly be for adding these pages with provisional systematic notation to eliminate redlinks in the wiki.)

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 7:44 pm

Sphenocorona wrote:Some unique and interesting patterns are unfortunately undocumented as of yet; I would definetly be for adding these pages with provisional systematic notation to eliminate redlinks in the wiki.
Yep, like example gratias (e.g.) the Thumbs 1 isn't accessible and if we search for splitters, all we get is a stub with very unholy bad info about splitters in general (and no more). Also for some reason they deleted the "Patterns discovered by Gustavo Ramos Rehermann" category...
*yawn* What a nothing-to-do day! Let's be the only person in the world to do CGOL during boring times. :)

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 7:49 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:Yep, like example gratias (e.g.)
"E. g." stands for "exempli gratia".
Gustavo6046 wrote:Also for some reason they deleted the "Patterns discovered by Gustavo Ramos Rehermann" category...
The reason I did so is that it had not contained any notable patterns yet. (Alas!)
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 7:54 pm

I'm now back, and as that dates of years ago my notability lessons at Conway Life University (I been travelling at California in this mean time!) have shown me superior abilities!
And another pattern I found is the "bomber breeder" (the erroneous name I applied to an quadratic-growth puffer or puffer-rake) that is actually for High-Life (and for some reason is marked for deletal). This time I used, yes Golly as I were permitted to! I got the RLE but I unfortunately can't upload it. My mind is still somewhat messed with that "secret project" of GOL-SSRP I were investigating with the dear admins, but yeah. Here is the link to the wiki and here is the image of the Bomber Breeder 1:
As well as the stable result of many generations later of the Bomber Breeder 2 (not documented) (though it will grow infinitely):

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 8:05 pm

I will try to argue why I think this pattern is trivial. Please do not take it personally.

It consists of two previously well-known patterns, a replicator and a bomber (a spaceship based on the replicator). They interact in a way that replicas are destroyed by the bomber's spark. This interaction is trivial and there are a bunch of similar reactions that can be easily found with a modified version of gencols.

The velocity is not new for HighLife, and puffers of this velocity are known to exist. So this pattern is not novel.

I hope I was convincing enough.

P. S. It would be much more convenient if you posted RLE instead of images (just copy the pattern in Golly and then paste whatever there is in the buffer.)
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 8:08 pm

I know, thanks for your opinion. It was still not an very bad look so yeah. Also although it's not much trivial, it's quadratic growing (shall this or not be novel because the replicator has directional growth and a pair of replicator for two diagonal directions (quadratic growth) is not one quadratic pattern, but a pair of ones)! It's exactly what it meant to be. A quadratic growth. Just this.
Also I tried and tried to reproduce the Breeder Bomber 2 (because I accidentally lost its RLE, unlike the BB1's) but I didn't, so when I do I will show.

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 8:10 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:I know, thanks for your opinion. It was still not an very bad look so yeah. Also although it's not much trivial, it's quadratic growing (shall this or not be novel because the replicator has directional growth and a pair of replicator for two diagonal directions (quadratic growth) is not one quadratic pattern, but a pair of ones)! It's exactly what it meant to be. A quadratic growth. Just this.
Huh? Sorry, I didn't get what you meant. It's certainly not a quadratic growth pattern, because its total population grows linearly, not quadratically.
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 8:18 pm

I'm sorry but the gliders goes at one side of the square and some junk forms the other side, so it makes a losangle finishing with quadratic growth! Not linear one; it would be an linear growth it if weren't by the gliders. But anyways this is probably just another puffer, though maybe it deserves some place in the lifewiki. The High Life page doesn't even includes spaceships in the frequency/density rank (only the natural oscillators and still lifes!)
Also I discovered an plasma burster though someone mistaked it for an "glider 1717" and I never though it existed! Maybe it doesn't either exist, but i don't know, only it is from the Live Free or Die.
Here is an plasma burster:

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 8:21 pm

As I've already mentioned implicitly, "quadratic growth" refers to the population and not to the bounding box, otherwise one would call also the following pattern "quadratically growing":

Code: Select all

x = 8, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
3o2b3o$o6bo$bo4bo3$3b2o$3b2o!
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 8:24 pm

Maybe. That is quadratic growth but I think... nothing.
Anyways... just another puffer to the high life collection.
But the Live-Free-or-Die spaceship seems to convince me it is novel (making the smoke bursts/tail sparks that resembles plasma engines) because it normally isn't found in rules with explosive characterer, like the Live Free or Die (probably I'm one of the only that's focusing on a forbidden explosive rule like it!).

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 8:28 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:Also I discovered an plasma burster though someone mistaked it for an "glider 1717" and I never though it existed! Maybe it doesn't either exist, but i don't know, only it is from the Live Free or Die.
It's not 'Glider 1717', because it's Glider 7171. It is a well-known glider, that exists in 64 Life-like rules. Though it might be notable in a specialized Live Free or Die wiki, in my humble opinion, it is not so relevant for the LifeWiki, because it is primarily focused on Conway's Game of Life, and patterns from other rules might be there if they're extremely notable or unusual for Conway's Game of Life (like the HighLife replicator, for instance). (Administrators, please correct me, if I'm wrong.)
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 8:33 pm

codeholic wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote:Also I discovered an plasma burster though someone mistaked it for an "glider 1717" and I never though it existed! Maybe it doesn't either exist, but i don't know, only it is from the Live Free or Die.
It's not 'Glider 1717', because it's Glider 7171. It is a well-known glider, that exists in 64 Life-like rules. Though it might be notable in a specialized Live Free or Die wiki, in my humble opinion, it is not so relevant for the LifeWiki, because it is primarily focused on Conway's Game of Life, and patterns from other rules might be there if they're extremely notable or unusual for Conway's Game of Life (like the HighLife replicator, for instance). (Administrators, please correct me, if I'm wrong.)
You're a moderator, and you should be somewhat independant of admins (like an grown teen, it can have its own life independent of their parents, the teen would be the mods and the parents would be the admins!)
Anyways, it's getting near sleep time here in GMT -03:00, but I'll only stop when it's certain. Also it's a long way to see a big glider outside GOL! :P

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » February 2nd, 2015, 8:38 pm

Live free or die has its own wiki. You can get familiar with known patterns in this rule there.

There is also an interesting discussion with many non trivial patterns in the forum here.

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 8:38 pm

I have my own opinion on what is relevant for LifeWiki, but I admit, that my opinion might be different to what LifeWiki founders implied when they started the project. We are all grown-ups with their own opinions that we mutually respect and I don't see it as a relationship between a parent and a teen child at all.
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 8:39 pm

codeholic wrote:I have my own opinion on what is relevant for LifeWiki, but I admit, that my opinion might be different to what LifeWiki founders implied when they started the project. We are all grown-ups with their own opinions that we mutually respect and I don't see it as a relationship between a parent and a teen child at all.
I meant admins, not LifeWiki creators! :P Also somewhat slow for someone that repeatedly posts. :P

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 2nd, 2015, 8:40 pm

Anyways, it's already gonna sleep here so.... *ronc*

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 2nd, 2015, 8:44 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:I meant admins, not LifeWiki creators! :P
Admins are LifeWiki founders.
Ivan Fomichev

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 3rd, 2015, 9:09 am

Yep. Maybe.
Also I have an methusynthesis though I hated that pattern, really. Itself is just a methuselah pattern made of some gliders and LWSS colliding.

Methusynthesis 1
It is still an methuselah, and novel in the list of Methusynthesae (because it is the first methusynthesis i.e. an methuselah that is basically an spaceship reaction or the result of one, or, less notably, were discovered by one).
I did even made an signature banner for supporters to the new category!
http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewto ... f=2&t=1600
4Zs6g2nl.jpg
4Zs6g2nl.jpg (14.77 KiB) Viewed 753 times

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1600][img]https://conwaylife.com/forums/download/file.php?id=5524[/img][/url]

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » February 3rd, 2015, 9:39 am

1. Please post an rle for the pattern.

2. Can you please explain what Methusynthesae means? The definition in wiki you posted methuselah patterns that looks much like spaceship reactions is totally meaningless - what does it means "looks much like"? It's very bad definition. Why are you interested in Methusynthesae, and can they be used in some other known GOL applications?

3. There is also totally no notability in something which is similar or looks like something else in GOL. If you find something that looks "similar" to oscillator, or "similar" to spaceship, or "similar" to quadratic replicator - it has no value. You either find something notable and well defined, or not.

4. Please explain why your pattern is in some way better than 10 trillions similar patterns. What is notable about it?

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 3rd, 2015, 9:44 am

1) Notable bout it? Well it is the first of a chain of discoveries of "Methusynthesae, (singular Methusynthesis) that are patterns/methuselah that basically/mildly are spaceship reactions, though it is a bit hard to explain the relation. It is way different from syntheses because they are patterns, and don't form other patterns." - definition in the Rehermann dictionary - GOL section.
2) You can't upload RLE, only the admins, to avoid virus contamination (if there ever is any virus of RLE). I will post my RLEs in Mega (the Megauploads' "sucessor of sucess", lol) instead: here. Note I even put the Caterpillar and Waterbear as a bonus for downloading it! Thank you! It is an very cool bonus, not?
Last edited by Gustavo6046 on February 3rd, 2015, 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » February 3rd, 2015, 9:47 am

Why are you interested in exploring "singular Methusynthesis"?

Can you also define this therm in simple and exact words?

Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 » February 3rd, 2015, 9:55 am

simsim314 wrote:Why are you interested in exploring "singular Methusynthesis"?

Can you also define this therm in simple and exact words?
Sorry but I already explained it the best I can, it's a little weird concept. Also I'm very, very ultra sorry if I failed in it. All I wish to was to help. :(
(i hate that sad smiley... i would redesign an better, more circular one, so it dont look like a crying sucking geek)

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 3rd, 2015, 12:01 pm

I share simsim314's opinion, that your definition of "methusynthesis" is totally vague and unclear, and you gave no explanation, why those "mildly spaceship reactions" are more notable than others. By the way, the plural from "synthesis" is "syntheses" and not "synthesae".

And please make your signature shorter.
Ivan Fomichev