Introductions

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
shown

Re: Introductions

Post by shown » April 17th, 2021, 3:55 am

Hello everyone my name is shown and I am newbie here and I am also glad to meet you all and I think there is lot of things to learn and have fun. :)

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » April 17th, 2021, 6:09 am

shown wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 3:55 am
Hello everyone my name is shown and I am newbie here and I am also glad to meet you all and I think there is lot of things to learn and have fun. :)
Welcome to the academic forums (in case you are a normal person)! Sorry for any possible offence, but a new user who necroposted about an external CA-unrelated software (regardless of whether someone else has mentioned it or not) like in the following quotation will be suspected to be an advertising spam account and result in some work on moderator's side. So don't do this!
shown wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 4:01 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:16 pm
BokaBB wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:14 pm
I don't know how.
You can compare the first two pictures and deduct.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Just look up how to use WhatsApp web.
Web WhatsApp is very easy to use
All you have to do is open your computer laptop, then go to Google and search for Web WhatsApp, then open it by clicking on WhatsApp's official Web site.

Then you have to scan the QR code from your mobile or tablet from which you are using WhatsApp.

And then you'll be able to use WhatsApp on the computer :D
Moderators, please keep this post as a lesson for future newcomers. (I'm not spamming!)

shown

Post by shown » April 18th, 2021, 2:15 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 6:09 am
shown wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 3:55 am
Welcome to the academic forums (in case you are a normal person)! Sorry for any possible offence, but a new user who necroposted about an external CA-unrelated software (regardless of whether someone else has mentioned it or not) like in the following quotation will be suspected to be an advertising spam account and result in some work on moderator's side. So don't do this!
shown wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 4:01 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Just look up how to use WhatsApp web.
Web WhatsApp is very easy to use
All you have to do is open your computer laptop, then go to Google and search for Web WhatsApp, then open it by clicking on WhatsApp's official Web site.

Then you have to scan the QR code from your mobile or tablet from which you are using WhatsApp.

And then you'll be able to use WhatsApp on the computer :D
Moderators, please keep this post as a lesson for future newcomers. (I'm not spamming!)
Thank you for welcoming me to this forum

And from now on, I will make sure that this does not happen again.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » April 18th, 2021, 3:56 am

shown wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 2:15 am
Okay. Now let's get familiar with cellular automata, the central topic in these forums, starting from a LifeWiki tutorials system. Feel free to ask questions (if answers cannot be found easily) in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2036

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » April 20th, 2021, 3:40 am

shown wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 2:15 am

So you should be aware that advertising the exactly same thing in signature is equally unacceptable.
georgemarhsal wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 1:00 am
I [am] new on this forum. Anyone guide me plz
See my above post if you are a normal person.

Felixor

Post by Felixor » April 27th, 2021, 6:56 am

Hello everyone! I decided to join this forum because some Anon from /sci/ and I discovered a new (at least I think it is) and very interesting cellular automaton which we called Xor-life, and I hope that I will have enough time in the next couple of days to give a detailed report on this. We are fairly sure that it is good enough to be considered a class 4 automaton like B3S23 as many things similar to it are possible, but so far we only scratched the surface. I'm excited to present this.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Conway-gamer

Post by Conway-gamer » May 25th, 2021, 1:57 pm

hello i am conway-gamer and i like cgol (conway's game of life in acronym form) and i came to this forum because why not?

Conway-gamer

Re: introduction

Post by Conway-gamer » May 25th, 2021, 2:06 pm

NotAvailableCooper wrote:
August 10th, 2014, 9:24 pm
Hi! I'm a guy who's been playing around with GoL for 5 years and is particularly fascinated with methuselahs. I'm no expert, but I know enough to have made a video series on the basics on YouTube.
i like methuselahs too and is especially interested in them

Dicuo

Post by Dicuo » August 2nd, 2021, 4:34 am

Hello! I'm Dicuo. I am a 13 year old that got interested in CA and created this account so i could post a few rules i created. :)

Ohhhhhhhhh

Post by Ohhhhhhhhh » August 19th, 2021, 6:14 am

Ohhhhhhhhh I'M INNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Hello.
I'm someone.
My name is Ohhhhhhhhh(1'O' and 9'h')
I'M NEW and I'm Chinese.
I've been reading most of your posts and very happy to register here.
www.conwaylife.com/forums
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

something useless:

Code: Select all

#CXRLE Pos=-8,-6
x = 11, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
5bo$6bo$4b3o$9b2o$9b2o3$3o$2bo$bo!

nicolasstag

Hello!

Post by nicolasstag » August 29th, 2021, 10:27 pm

Greetings!

I am a computer-science undergrad from the US. I really like mathematics (at the moment, anyway), astronomy/astrophysics, Star Trek (I am attempting to learn Klingon at the moment, only time will tell if I will stick with it. Also, I prefer the older Star Trek to the newer iterations to a very large degree), and a bunch of other miscellaneous and sometimes somewhat obscure interests. I came across Conway's Game of Life moderately recently and I have been mildly obsessed with it. When I found out that it was Turing-complete I was floored. It has been eating up a fair bit of my free time (granted, I do not have much).

I was searching the internet for various facts and configurations of the game, and I stumbled across this website/forum/wiki, and it felt like I had struck gold. I am extensively excited that I found this place. I will most likely just be lurking, considering this is an academic forum and I lack knowledge, but I made an account just in case -- figured I would introduce myself.

I look forward to perusing these forums :)

Nicolas

burair76

New on the forum!

Post by burair76 » September 7th, 2021, 4:20 am

Hello Everyone! I am new on this forum. It's my first post.

Sokwe

Re: New on the forum!

Post by Sokwe » September 7th, 2021, 5:17 am

burair76 wrote:
September 7th, 2021, 4:20 am
Hello Everyone! I am new on this forum. It's my first post.
Welcome to the forums! I moved your post to our dedicated introductions thread.
-Matthias Merzenich

burair76

Post by burair76 » September 7th, 2021, 10:31 am

Oh! Thanks for moving it at the right place. I was just searching for introduction category before posting, but I really don't find it on the forum. Thank you!

Tropylium

Post by Tropylium » September 23rd, 2021, 8:31 am

Hi again, and hello to the plethora of new users too, I've been gone for several years but I might be dropping by every now and then again. I'm a casual Life enthusiast since the 90s and maybe the most interested in things like pattern classification or CA rule typology. I also might be one of the few older-than-college-student people in the scene who's not working in STEM (which is a recent development actually).

erictom333

Post by erictom333 » October 12th, 2021, 4:21 am

Hello! I exist. I've been lurking on here for a while, before Golly for iPad supported non-totalistic rules.

Ponytale

Post by Ponytale » October 14th, 2021, 11:01 pm

Hello!

I am a programmer from Russia, enjoying math, physics, byology, etc. natural sciences. Being well-awared of the Conway's Game of Life in the past, recently I investigated a "just-for-fun" pet-project with the idea to make cool visual effects screensaver or smth. Well, I came to the idea of multi-colors B3/S23 Moore neighborhood Game (not a big deal :) ), but with one additional stohastic rule. The main efforts were made to have a population, which will neither grow too fast, neither end in still patterns. I think I succedeed in that.

Also, while reading all the new recent investigations in the Game of Life, I was surprised at how deep and interesting the whole subject actually is, so I am happy to greet all of you and join this community :).

And also I found, I think - some interesting properties of my stohastic variant of Game's rules. I am not sure if I am the first to find it - anyway, it will be cool to discuss. I made a Windows program, which is primarily intended to make some nice graphics show, but can be used to investigate the new rules.

I will be thankeful, if someone will help me to make a topic in the right section of the forum, any other advices will be appreciated too.

Thank you very much for your attention :)

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » October 15th, 2021, 1:27 am

Welcome to the forums! (We're having quite a number of newcomers recently :) )
Ponytale wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 11:01 pm
...Well, I came to the idea of multi-colors B3/S23 Moore neighborhood Game (not a big deal :) ), but with one additional sto[c]hastic rule. The main efforts were made to have a population, which will neither grow too fast, neither end in still patterns. I think I succedeed in that.
And also I found, I think - some interesting properties of my sto[c]hastic variant of Game's rules. I am not sure if I am the first to find it - anyway, it will be cool to discuss. I made a Windows program, which is primarily intended to make some nice graphics show, but can be used to investigate the new rules.

I will be thankeful, if someone will help me to make a topic in the right section of the forum, any other advices will be appreciated too.
This will be suitable for the Other Cellular Automata board, and the "new topic" buttom is just below the title.

Avengium

Post by Avengium » October 25th, 2021, 12:40 am

Hi. I have a background on biology and lab technician, i currently work on something related. I don't know enough math to understand most of this. I'm interested in creatures, bestiaries and all types of beings, mythical creatures, aliens, etc.

I think cellular automata can be considered collectible patterns so i searched for a wiki that listed the more comprehensive list of patterns.

I love the wiki format and mediawiki features. Wiki has great features, is collaborative, has high performance, easy to write, easy to interlink and categorize, and more advantages.
I would like to help listing even more creatures and patterns.

I usually spend my free time writing on my wiki (the wiki i admin) with the intent of making a bestiary but i came across Conway's Game of Life and the dynamic of the game fascinated me. I still need to read the glossary to follow conversation.

I will most likely just be lurking, because i try to spend time adding creatures and places to my wiki. But i will read forum ocassionally in search of interesting posts and creatures (patterns).

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » October 25th, 2021, 1:11 am

Avengium wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:40 am
Hi. I have a background on biology and lab technician, i currently work on something related. I don't know enough math to understand most of this. I'm interested in creatures, bestiaries and all types of beings, mythical creatures, aliens, etc.
I will most likely just be lurking, because i try to spend time adding creatures and places to my wiki. But i will read forum ocassionally in search of interesting posts and creatures (patterns).
Welcome to the forums! Our LifeWiki is mostly on Conway's Life, as you can see, and there are already a lot of fantastic patterns. Once you get the basic concepts, you won't want to miss further generalizations of Life (for example Higher-range outer-totalistic cellular automaton), where much more creatures inhabit!
Something closer to real-life organisms can be found in another field, OCA:SmoothLife,
but this is rarely discussed in the forums.
Meanwhile, have you heard about Shan Hai Jing (山海经 in Chinese)?

Avengium

Post by Avengium » October 25th, 2021, 6:55 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:11 am
you won't want to miss further generalizations of Life (for example Higher-range outer-totalistic cellular automaton), where much more creatures inhabit!
Thanks for the welcome. Maybe i request wiki trusted in some days. I like pixelart so is fine to look smaller patterns too. I was thinking on starting with Conway's Game of Life rulestring B3/S23 before looking for other rules. I have some questions but i don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask. For example:
1. Why people are so focused on period and speed to catalogue patterns instead of population or bounding box?
2. If there are unnamed patterns that are called with a code like 64P2H1V0, Can someone invent a name for that pattern or that is restricted to the first discoverer of the pattern?
3. Is ok to invent an informal name for an unnamed that is formally known for the unnamed code or "population , period" name?
GUYTU6J wrote:
Something closer to real-life organisms can be found in another field, OCA:SmoothLife,
There are equivalents one by one of CGOL B3/S23 and SmoothLife? If yes, then i could try to find the equivalents. If not, then is a different world with different creatures.
Why is rarely discussed? Is because people like to calculate things with integers or some other math reason or because people like pixelart?
What is the place to discuss about SmoothLife?
GUYTU6J wrote:
Meanwhile, have you heard about Shan Hai Jing (山海经 in Chinese)?
Yes! i know that bestiary. Is awesome hoy many creatures there are in chinese literature.

PS: I like your avatar. Looks like a heart-shaped spaceship! How is named?

otismo

Post by otismo » October 25th, 2021, 10:10 am

Welcome Avengium !

I am trying to maintain a video website at Conway.Life -

but YouTube has many more videos on a wide range of Cellular Automata ( CA ) and life related topics.

My interest is mainly focused on Conway's Game of Life ( CGoL ).

I have been trying to collect patterns also and there are many, many thousands of them in CGoL alone !

I have my own thread, otismo, in the sandbox, where I post patterns I am interested in - my own and others.

I like BitMap Printers, and made several different Loafer ( a SpaceShip ) BitMap Printers.

I also like ALL CGoL Art, and I am studying NFTs. This is NFT minting week here, so if you are up and running in Etherium,

AND have patterns to mint, you should look into it...

Cheers !
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://viropet.com
Art Gallery : http://cgolart.com
Video WebSite : http://conway.life

Avengium

Post by Avengium » October 25th, 2021, 11:22 am

otismo wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 10:10 am
I also like ALL CGoL Art, and I am studying NFTs. This is NFT minting week here, so if you are up and running in Etherium,

AND have patterns to mint, you should look into it...
I don't think i can discover a pattern that is unique. I think other people will discover first so i can't mint any as a discoverer.

For me the visual and aesthetic aspect was what attracted me. I know there is math involved but i prefer to look at the beauty of the shapes.

I know that scripts that look for patterns need the math but i don't know programming languages. If i can help with cataGOLue without programming, i could help.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » October 25th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Avengium wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 6:55 am
...I was thinking on starting with Conway's Game of Life rulestring B3/S23 before looking for other rules.
For that we have this page and the Tutorials.
Avengium wrote:
I have some questions but i don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask. For example:
1. Why people are so focused on period and speed to catalogue patterns instead of population or bounding box?
That is true for spaceships, which you can see in LifeWiki:Spaceship Search Status Page. There is a quote from years ago:
dvgrn wrote:
July 2nd, 2016, 2:30 pm
muzik wrote:Futile it may be, but could someone be as kind as to run this reaction through a c/26 orthogonal search (probably a glide symmetric 2c/52 one) to see if any interesting partials come up?
c/26, yikes! I think that's probably a search you'll have to run yourself, if you want it done. And at that width, you'd better have a whole new search algorithm, or some really impressive computer hardware. As a rough guess, probably turning the entire mass of the Earth into computer chips wouldn't be enough.

A good rule of thumb seems to be that it's a few orders of magnitude harder to do a search for a period N+1 spaceship, than for a period-N spaceship. As you increase the period, you increase the number of unknown cells that could be either ON or OFF, and you have to check both options for each new cell.

Even if we were looking for a tiny 5x5 spaceship, let's say, and a lot of the cells were forced by the states of other cells, there might be 10 new choices of cell state for the eighth phase of a theoretical period-8 ship, that weren't there at all for an equivalent period 7 ship (where the eighth phase has to be the same as the first phase).

That's 2^10 times as many cases, or an increase in difficulty of three orders of magnitude.

Again, this is all a gross oversimplification, so please don't take the math seriously -- but it allows for some rough intuition about the difficulty of c/26 searches.

The period-7 Spaghetti Monster spaceship was discovered based on searches that took a couple of months to run. Maybe it could have been found inside a week, if someone had lucked out and tried the right search immediately, instead of going through all the smaller search spaces first. So let's simplify again and say a p7 spaceship search takes a week.

Then a p8 spaceship search with the same methods will take about a thousand weeks, and a p9 search will take a million weeks. Finding a c/26 spaceship will take about 10^54 = 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 weeks of CPU time.

If you only have maybe a week to spend before you run out of patience, you're likely to come up with a partial that represents about 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th of a complete c/26 ship.

Your mileage may vary, of course... but it's probably better if you put in your own mileage in this case instead of asking someone else to do it for you. The reaction you're trying to use as a front end looks like it's about 18 cells wide, so probably the "10 new cells per phase" assumption is a really gross underestimate for this particular front end. So there will be a lot more zeroes in the number of weeks you need to find a complete c/26 spaceship with known search utilities -- i.e., the number will be big enough to make a googol look totally insignificant.
For oscillator searches aiming at a certain purpose — e.g. a domino sparker like 104P9, their search time also grows quickly as period increases, and so period is important. But there are cases where we care about population; sparse quadratic growth patterns such as the 23-cell switch engine ping-pong and small sawtooths such as sawtooth 177 are two examples. As for bounding box, we tend to try every possible means to optimize bounding boxes for glider guns.
Avengium wrote:
GUYTU6J wrote:
There are equivalents one by one of CGOL B3/S23 and SmoothLife? If yes, then i could try to find the equivalents. If not, then is a different world with different creatures.
Why is rarely discussed? Is because people like to calculate things with integers or some other math reason or because people like pixelart?
What is the place to discuss about SmoothLife?
SmoothLife is indeed a different world from B3/S23 and there is no one-to-one correspondence. Discrete cellular automata have abundant possibilities, and are easier both to implement (like in our favourite programs, Golly and LifeViewer — be sure to get a copy of Golly from the link in navbar and play with it a lot!) and to enginner big patterns from small components at our will and then share them.
Searching gives this introduction thread to SmoothLife; it is under a subforum called Other Cellular Automata, which is for discussions about every non-B3/S23 rules.
Avengium wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:22 am
I know that scripts that look for patterns need the math but i don't know programming languages. If i can help with cataGOLue without programming, i could help.
There is not much programming involved — check Tutorials/Contributing to Catagolue. If you are using win10 then there is a better method than described in the article, but apart from that detail the walkthrough is sufficient.
Avengium wrote:
I have not named it. It is the following pattern (not in B3/S23 though) shown with LifeViewer I mentioned above.

x = 5, y = 5, rule = B2n3air/S2-i3-aeky4i
2bo$bobo$o3bo$obobo$bob2o!

Avengium

Post by Avengium » October 25th, 2021, 2:31 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:00 pm
SmoothLife is indeed a different world from B3/S23 and there is no one-to-one correspondence. Discrete cellular automata have abundant possibilities, and are easier both to implement (like in our favourite programs, Golly and LifeViewer — be sure to get a copy of Golly from the link in navbar and play with it a lot!) and to enginner big patterns from small components at our will and then share them.
Searching gives this introduction thread to SmoothLife; it is under a subforum called Other Cellular Automata, which is for discussions about every non-B3/S23 rules.
I downloaded the program from sourceforge but when running it i don't see any UI in most of the cases, but if i press "W" and "D" the software reacts. Then i think the program has interactivity but is hidden from the novel user.

The post you linked is from 2012. Is fine if i comment on the SmoothLife tutorial, or is better to start a new thread?
GUYTU6J wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:00 pm
Avengium wrote:
I have not named it. It is the following pattern (not in B3/S23 though) shown with LifeViewer I mentioned above.

x = 5, y = 5, rule = B2n3air/S2-i3-aeky4i
2bo$bobo$o3bo$obobo$bob2o!
Maybe you could name it if it's your discovery.

I saw your post on some alternative rules called 熠熠种花 - Glimmering Garden (B3-jknr4ity5ijk6i8/S23-a4city6c7c). That rules look great too.