ClickLife/iLife

For discussion of other cellular automata.
Extrementhusiast

ClickLife/iLife

Post by Extrementhusiast » November 15th, 2010, 8:47 pm

This variation on Life obeys the same general rules as ordinary Life, except for the fact that there is an "intelligent" cell, which can move around. (The cell must always stay alive, however.) This allows for many interesting patterns!

I also posted this site in the General Discussion board.

http://www.clickmazes.com/life/ixlife.htm

They give the formation of the "Y-start" (see the links at the bottom):

Code: Select all

o.o
.O.
.o.
where the big O is the intelligent cell, and the little os are normal cells. I like to use this one:

Code: Select all

.o..
o.O.
o..o
.oo.
Assuming the loaf is in this orientation, one can make a trans-boat with tail! This is done with the moves D/\RLDSUS<SSD, assuming it starts from the loaf in the orientation above. Here are some more patterns one can make from the loaf, according to their format:
Barge: L>>DUSSSRDS/DUSLR
Mango: L>>DUSSSRDS/DUSLS/
Ship: L>>DUSSSRDSSRSSRL
Oblique spaceship: L>>DUSSSRDS/DUSL\USDL< and then repeat \SSS/SUSU\S<SSSUS<LDDDD\/UD<S\

Even though all of these patterns start with the same 11 moves, there are other possibilities out there. One thing nagging me is: can you get to this loaf from the Y-start? Or vice versa? (I've had two near misses with the first question, as the loaf gets destroyed soon after creation.)

EDIT: Snake among other debris from above loaf: L/SSL>SR\S/\DSD<S\SSSSDSLRSSSDDLSSS>LSSSS>SDSSRRLS>SSSSR>S<SL/SSRR>L/SS>SD
EDIT: A RAKE! (or gun) L>/S<UUSRSLRRDSUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSDUD\>L/>S\DDSRSLRRUSDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUDU</
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)