3D Geminoid challenge

For discussion of other cellular automata.
simsim314

3D Geminoid challenge

Post by simsim314 » October 28th, 2019, 5:19 pm

I don't think we have any 3d CA geminoid implementation. So the challenge is (1) to find a 3d rule that has reflectors, duplicators and construction arms, and then (2) to build 3d geminoid that moves in (dx, dy, dz).

Redstoneboi

Re: 3D Geminoid challenge

Post by Redstoneboi » November 12th, 2019, 10:13 am

Woah there buddy, don't you think you're going too fast there?
You seem to be plannyng way ahead of time considering your first step is to find a 3d rule with incredible capabilities.
c(>^w^<c)~*
This is 「Fluffy」
「Fluffy」is my sutando.
「Fluffy」has the ability to engineer r e p l i c a t o r s.
「Fluffy」likes to watch spaceship guns in Golly.
「Fluffy」knows Natsuki best girl.

wildmyron

Re: 3D Geminoid challenge

Post by wildmyron » November 13th, 2019, 2:28 am

I didn't get around to responding to this, but I think it's an interesting idea - though its scope is a bit beyond what I'll be able to tackle. However, to get things started I think it would be good to clarify what CA space this challenge is aimed at. Specifically: any restrictions on the number of states or the neighbourhoods that could be used? Should the CA be isotropic and the geminoid able to travel in multiple directions? Even if nobody has explicitly constructed such a beast it seems like it wouldn't be much of a challenge in an engineered ruleset with a dozen states to control the desired behaviour. In fact I'd wager building the simulator and effectively visualizing such a beastie could be an even bigger challenge than actually designing the ruleset and constructing the geminoid.

Which brings me to a secondary aspect to the challenge: Are there any suitable simulation tools available to realize the solutions to this challenge, or would they need to built as well? Pretty much all the tools that I can think of which accommodate 3D CA have limited universe sizes - generally of a size much less than what I expect will be required.

On a related note - while exploring some of the research with Partitioned Cellular Automata, I came across a few interesting papers with computation universal models and self-replicators in various PCA topologies. In particular, Self-reproduction in three-dimensional reversible cellular space by K. Imai et al. [Artificial Life, Vol. 8 (2), 2002, p.155-174]. This paper describes an extension of a 2D loop rule (implemented in a reversible PCA) to 3 dimensions. The resulting PCA has cells divided in 7 partitions (6 neighbours of 3D von Neumann neighbourhood plus centre) each of which can be in one of 9 states. The "worms", as they are referred to, can have a 3D shape and can be instructed to place their daughters in any desired position. It's not clear to me if subsequent attempts to build a daughter worm in the same location is handled gracefully or not.
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 226,000 spaceships. There is also a GitHub mirror of the collection. Tabulated pages up to period 160 (out of date) are available on the LifeWiki.