Short version: Run the PentaCairo5.py script, type in "B23/S34/C4", and you're done!
But here's a more complete answer:
1) Be sure Python is installed on your machine. See "Installing Python" in the "Python Scripting" section of Golly's built-in "Help" menu.
2) Visit my Golly Tiling thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1123
and follow the link there to download "Tiling Project for Golly"
3) Move the contents of "Icons and Example Rules" to Golly's Rules folder.
4) Move the folder naned "Tiling Project Scripts" to within Golly's Scripts folder. The Tiling Project Scripts folder used to be called "Scripts for Generating Rules", which I realized wasn't a good choice. If your downloaded version is called that, just rename the folder.
Alternatively: Andrew suggested a better way to use Golly. He suggested using the "Set Pattern Folder" command under Golly's "File" menu, and setting your "pattern folder" to actually be your topmost Golly folder. See the last item in "Some useful hints and tips" in Golly 2.5 Help section, or see the discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1080#p7907
(and search on the phrase "Patterns panel").
If you follow Andrew's advice, you can just move the entire Tiling Project folder to your Golly folder.
5) Run Golly, click on the scripts button (or the patterns button if you follow Andrew's advice), and navigate to the "PentaCairo5.py" script. Click on it.
6) PentaCairo5.py will prompt you to enter a new rule. Enter "B23/S34/C4". Wait a few minutes while the new rule file is created. When the rule is ready, Golly will switch to PentaCairo5-B23_S34_C4.
7) Note that PentaCairo5 rules have "alternating Golly cells" in the sense that I explained in the Golly Tiling thread, so you'll want a valid seed. The easiest way to do this is to switch to an exploding rule like PentaCairo_B1_S, draw one cell, allow the pattern to explode, and then switch back to PentaCairo5-B23_S34_C4 and see what develops.
I see lots of triangle-shaped rakes, and triangle-shaped spaceships like this one:
Code: Select all
x = 52, y = 30, rule = PentaCairo5-B23_S34_C4
PentaCairo5 and PentaCairo5-VN are currently the only scripts in the Tiling Project which support Generations rules. The rest of the scripts are for two state rules only. However... ...it would be easy to modify the Truncated Square tiling script - that's Squares and Octogons, which, in Tiled CA, is the SO1.til tileset. If you have any interest in Generations for Squares and Octogons, just let me know, and I'd be happy to update the script.
Getting back to what I originally posted about: Other tilesets included in Tiled CA which are on the list of 16 Uniform and Dual-Uniform tilngs are Prismatic Pentagonal tilng (the P2.til tileset) and Tetrakis Square tiling (the T2.til tileset). So that's P1.til, P2.til, T2.til, SO1.til, and Kagome.til -- that's at least 5 of the 16 so far!
PS I will get back to our Knightlife conversation too.