I am an administrator on this wiki. If you need administrative help, feel free to ask on my talk page.
This page is mainly for providing information about LifeWiki and about the Game of Life in general, as well as keeping track of my tasks.
To learn what this wiki is all about see Conway's Game of Life.
For information on the Great Creator of Life as we know it see John Horton Conway.
The benevolent overlord of this wiki is Nathaniel Johnston. If you have any important questions or concerns, try his talk page.
- 1 Suggested links
- 2 Projects
- 3 Current tasks
- 4 About me
- 5 Notes to self
This is a list of links (in no particular order) that may be useful to other contributers or Life enthusiasts:
- Help contents - Links to other helpful pages
- General sandbox - For testing stuff
- My talk page - You can ask me questions, but I might not get back to you very quickly.
- My sandbox - so that I don't clutter up the general sandbox
- Editing help - Just about everything you need to know on how to edit a wiki.
- Parser functions help - Very useful when making templates
- DynamicPageList (DPL) Manual - Dynamic page lists can be very useful!
- conwaylife.com forums - The best place to discuss Life and other cellular automata
- Game of Life News - Up to date news on the Game of Life
- Jason Summers' Life Page - Several large pattern collections and Summers' "Status of Life" page
- Mark D. Niemiec's Life Page - Large database of still life and oscillator syntheses
- Stephen Silver's Life Lexicon - A glossary of terms related to the Game of Life
- Eric Weisstein's Treasure Trove of Life - Another Glossary of Life related terms
- Paul Callahan's page of Conway's Life Miscellany (hosted by Tom Rokicki) - Includes some historical Life documents as well as an illustrated pattern catalog and illustrated glossary
- David Eppstein's Game of Life and related Cellular automata page - Contains information on Life search programs and a link to his database of 'gliders' (spaceships) in Life-like cellular automata
- Searching for Spaceships (PDF) - An article about the algorithms used in Eppstein's gfind search program
- Gabriel Nivasch's Game of Life page - Includes an article on lightspeed signals and an article on the caterpillar
- The home page of David Ingalls Bell - Contains several articles pertaining to the history of spaceship technology, as well as some pattern collections
- Achim Flammenkamp's Game of Life Page - Includes information on several garden of eden patterns as well as lists of commonly occurring ash objects and their relative frequencies
- Matthew Cook's Still Life Theory - Some of the best writing on still lifes; be sure to click through all of the links
- Still Life by Matthew Cook - another article of Cook's, with pictures
- Alan Hensel's Game of Life Page - includes a java applet for the Game of Life, and the article from Scientific American that brought Life to the masses
- Robert Wainwright's LIFEPAGE (web archive) - Contains some of LIFELINE but, unfortunately, is not fully functional due to the fact that it is in the web archive
- Dean Hickerson's Life Page (hosted by Tom Rokicki) - Includes many patterns found by Dean Hickerson himself
There are many more great Life resources that I haven't mentioned. For more information you might try the links provided by the websites above.
- Golly (cross platform) - Fast, free, open source, and easily the best Game of Life player out there; created and maintained by Andrew Trevorrow and Tomas Rokicki
- MCell (Windows) - Another great Game of Life player, created by Mirek Wojtowicz
- Life32 (Windows) By Johan Bontes, an excellent Game of Life player
For the true Life enthusiast I suggest getting all of these. They truly are great programs!
These are things related to the wiki that I need to do/want to do/am in the middle of doing. Note: the main page for this kind of stuff is the task list.
Add and expand pages on Life enthusiasts
The Life enthusiast pages still need a lot of work. If you would like to add to these pages please try to find references to your information.
Needed Life enthusiast pages
Flesh out articles on major topics
I've done this for pages like bounding box and spaceship (although more could still be added), but several topics are not described thoroughly enough (pages like gun, tagalong, and the desperately needed hassle).
Improve the help pages
The help pages need to be expanded as we try to determine standard formats and such for our articles.
These are simple things I'm working on at the moment:
|05:24, 29 April 2009 (UTC)|
Topics that need expansion or creation
Oscillators I need to add
44P7.2 Octagon 2 on 36P22 78P70 48P22 46P22 38P7.2 49P88 Gabriel's p138 Pentadecathlon on 38P7.2 Pentadecathlon on 37P7.1 37P7.1 400P49 P57 Herschel loop 1 P59 Herschel loop 1 P61 Herschel loop 1 88P28 Mold on 41P7.2 41P7.2 Fumarole on Achim's p11 Achim's p11 258P3 on Achim's p11 258P3 104P177 P36 toad hassler P58 toadsucker Newshuttle
- P60 glider shuttle
*Still need pattern file
Looking for the discoverers and discovery dates of these patterns
- My name is Matthias Merzenich.
- My user name means 'chimpanzee' in Kiswahili.
Notes to self
These are things that I might want to remember.
Pages under my user page
- Sokwe/Spaceship searches
- Sokwe/Template:Image link
- Sokwe/Template:info search
- Sokwe/Template:main test
- Sokwe/Template:osc list pos
- Sokwe/Template:osc list pos2
- Sokwe/Template:osc num
- Sokwe/Template:osc num2
- Sokwe/Template:patd test
- Sokwe/Template:spaceship test
- Sokwe/oscillator heat
Templates that I have created
Patterns that I have added
- 258P3 on Achim's p11
- Achim's p11
- Beluchenko's p40
- Caterer on 36P22
- Figure eight on 36P22
- Fumarole on Achim's p11
- Fumarole on Beluchenko's p13
- Gabriel's p138
- Karel's p15
- Karel's p177
- Karel's p28
- Mold on 36P22
- Mold on 41P7.2
- Mold on pentadecathlon
- P110 traffic jam
- P15 pre-pulsar spaceship
- P35 beehive hassler
- P36 toad hassler
- P40 B-heptomino shuttle
- P42 glider shuttle
- P44 pi-heptomino hassler
- P48 toad hassler
- P49 glider shuttle
- P50 glider shuttle
- P50 traffic jam
- P56 B-heptomino shuttle
- P57 Herschel loop 1
- P58 toadsucker
- P59 Herschel loop 1
- P61 Herschel loop 1
- Pentadecathlon on 37P7.1
- Pentadecathlon on snacker
- Pentadecathlon on thumb 1
- Pre-pulsar hassler 55
- Pre-pulsar shuttle 26
- Pre-pulsar shuttle 28
- Pseudo-barberpole on 36P22
- Snacker on 38P7.2
- Unix on 41P7.2