Coe's p8 is a period-8 oscillator that was found by Tim Coe on August 19, 1997. In terms of its 17 cells, it is tied with smiley as third-smallest known period-8 oscillator. It consists of two blocks hassling an unnamed object, similar to blocker. The unnamed object is a hive predecessor that looks like two linked gliders. The spark created by the block eating can support the bumper, but the blocker would be smaller for that purpuse.
Coe's p8 is about the forty-seventh most common naturally-occurring oscillator in Achim Flammenkamp's census.
In August, 2004 Mark Niemiec found a 16-glider synthesis of this oscillator. In October, 2010 Martin Grant found an 8-glider synthesis, based on a predecessor discovered by Lewis Patterson. The best synthesis known as of July 2017 uses 5 gliders and was found by gmc_nxtman and Mark Niemec on July 8, 2017.
- ↑ Jason Summers' all-osc pattern collection.
- ↑ Achim Flammenkamp (September 7, 2004). "Most seen natural occurring ash objects in Game of Life". Retrieved on January 15, 2009.
- ↑ Jason Summers' jslife pattern collection.
- ↑ "ConwayLife Forums - Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries". Retrieved on Oct 3, 2010.
- ↑ "ConwayLife Forums - Thread for your unsure discoveries". Retrieved on Jul 8, 2017.