Coe's p8 is a period-8 oscillator that was found by Tim Coe on August 19, 1997. In terms of its 17 cells, it is tied with smiley as third-smallest known period-8 oscillator. It consists of two blocks hassling an unnamed object.
Coe's p8 is about the forty-seventh most common naturally-occurring oscillator in Achim Flammenkamp's census.
In August, 2004 Mark Niemiec found a 16-glider synthesis of this oscillator. In October, 2010 Martin Grant found an 8-glider synthesis, based on a predecessor discovered by Lewis Patterson. The best synthesis known as of July 2017 uses 5 gliders and was found by gmc_nxtman and Mark Niemec on July 8, 2017.
- ↑ Jason Summers' all-osc pattern collection.
- ↑ Achim Flammenkamp (September 7, 2004). "Most seen natural occurring ash objects in Game of Life". Retrieved on January 15, 2009.
- ↑ Jason Summers' jslife pattern collection.
- ↑ "ConwayLife Forums - Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries". Retrieved on Oct 3, 2010.
- ↑ "ConwayLife Forums - Thread for your unsure discoveries". Retrieved on Jul 8, 2017.