Smiley is a period 8 oscillator that was found by Achim Flammenkamp in July 1994 and named by Alan Hensel.
In November 1994 Mark Niemiec noticed that its sparks can interact in boring, but non-trivial ways with other oscillators, optionally creating oscillators of higher periods.
A 28-glider synthesis for it was discovered in January 2008 by Jason Summers. In August 2015, Matthias Merzenich proposed an 8-glider synthesis based on a soup found by Adam P. Goucher using apgsearch.
On Catagolue, it is the fourth most common period 8 oscillator, being less common than Coe's p8 but slightly more common than Achim's p8.
Generation 2 reveals the reason for smiley's name
- ↑ Mark Niemiec (November 1, 1994). "More straw". Retrieved on October 8, 2015.
- ↑ H. Koenig. "Oscillator Construction". Game of Life News. Retrieved on May 2, 2009.
- ↑ Matthias Merzenich (August 8, 2015). "Re: Soup search results". Retrieved on September 18, 2015.
- ↑ Adam P. Goucher. "Statistics". Catagolue. Retrieved on October 27, 2018.
- 17P8.1 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs