This is a combined public task list for all LifeWiki editors. It lists a wide range of specific projects that editors have identified as needing to be done. For more general ideas about what to do, see the Helping out page.
All editors are welcome to add ideas or work on any idea listed here. Any task listed here is available for anyone to tackle. More details on how to work on tasks or add tasks to this list are provided at the bottom of the page.
In many cases, the task descriptions are pretty brief. If you'd like more information on any task, just ask on the talk page. Don't worry, asking about a task doesn't mean you have to do it!
- 1 Current tasks
- 2 Instructions
This section contains the current list of all tasks that are in progress or that need to be done.
- Add the rest of the patterns and terminology from the Life Lexicon.
- Make category page headers more useful, along the lines of what has been done to Category:Oscillators_with_period_6. I realize that category pages are for the most part protected. If you would like to take on this task, let me know and I'll unprotect the relevant categories for you.
SMTP server does not send out emails!
- While registering I encountered this error:
- LifeWiki could not send your confirmation mail. Please check your email address for invalid characters.
- Mailer returned: SMTP server response: 554 5.7.1 <YYY>: Relay access denied
- P.S. YYY was my correct email I used, hidden against spammers now
- also when trying to resend confirmation code again from preferences 
- Do you guys have this also? If so, would be good to fix this so I may get changes by mail. Thanks, --Erkan Yilmaz 21:32, 20 September 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks for reporting this... not sure what the problem is, but I'm experiencing it as well. Will let you know once it's fixed. Nathaniel 21:42, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
- OK, --Erkan Yilmaz 22:59, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
Interested in application Game of Life applied in the context of mediawiki?
- Is anyone of you interested in this application for mediawiki?
Categorization by symmetry
Hello folks. I feel this would be a good addition to the wiki. I see there's one for glide-reflectiv spaceships alreddy; I've started a few others (see Category:Patterns with (symmetry)). Some further thoughts and questions:
- I'm going to assume from the current categorization standards that even if someone wants to start symmetry categories by type (eg. "Oscillators with D4 symmetry"), the patterns shall still go into the main categories (eg. Category:Patterns with D4 symmetry) as well.
- Patterns with D1 or D2 symmetry could perhaps be separated into orthogonal and diagonal subgroups?
- How should glide-symmetry in oscillators be indicated? It can occur on top of other symmetries - frex tumbler has only D1 symmetry at any one phase, but it also has a perpendicular glide reflection axis. I considered ad-hoccing it with stuff like "D2G" for that kind of symmetry, but it fails to distinguish between a tumbler-type symmetry (which adds a glide reflection and a glide rotation to a plain reflection) vs. bipole-type symmetry (which adds two glide reflections to a plain rotation).
- Also, it seems like patterns have most of their categories encoded in the pattern template; should I hold back on excess categorization before there's a consensus on if this is going to be added there too?
--Tropylium 01:47, 1 June 2011 (CDT)
A list or category of these would be handy. --Tropylium 09:06, 8 September 2011 (CDT)
- OK, table in the works. User:Tropylium/Table of sparkers --08:08, 20 September 2011 (CDT)
upgrade of the wiki software
Changing a page`s name
I once made a page about a House and R-bee and later found out that what I was really writing about was a House and bookend. I do not know how to change a page`s name. --wwei23 11:20AM, 9/14/2015 A.D.
I've been exploring and noticed the LifeWiki didn't have a FAQ, and I think it could use one. --AndTheTopCatHat44 7:39PM, 11/15/2015 A.D.
Working on a task
- Look through list and see if anything appeals to you.
- If you can't figure out what a task means or if you're not sure how to do it, ask on the talk page.
- Once you've picked something you would like to work on, go nuts! You do not need to mark this page to let others know that you intend to take care of that task.
- If you have completed a task, please remove it from the list.
Adding a task
Any editor can add a task to the page. If there's something that you think needs to be done on the site, add it! If you're not sure about your idea or would like feedback, add it to the talk page and ask for other editors to provide their opinion. Some things to keep in mind are:
- This page is supposed to list specific ideas for projects that editors can work on; more general to-do information is at LifeWiki:Helping out
- Don't add tasks that you are planning on finishing yourself in the near future (e.g., the next week or so); this is supposed to be for tasks that are available for other editors to work on.
- If in doubt, just go ahead and add it. Another editor might move it to a more appropriate place, but it's much better to add the idea so others know about it than to delay adding it because you're not sure where to put it.