|Number of cells||5449|
|Discovered by||Jared James Prince|
|Year of discovery||1998|
Deep cell is a modification of David Bell's p5760 unit Life cell that was originally created in 1998 but was forgotten about and couldn't be tested properly until 2004. It runs 2 non-interacting Life universes instead of 1, which are referred to as A0 and B0. The period of this unit cell is 7680. The ON/OFF state of A0 is found every 7680 generations (starting with generation 0) and is indicated by the presence/absence of a glider between the 6 long boats in the upper left quadrant (circled in green below). The state of B0 is indicated in the same way but offset by 3840 rounds. This version of the pattern is set with A0 initially ON and B0 in a pre-start ON state (indicated by 3 blocks in the vertical chamber in the lower left quadrant, circled in red below), so B0 will be officially ON in 3840 generations. To start A0 OFF, delete the glider. To start B0 OFF, delete the 3 blocks.
An infinite tiling of deep cells allows for simulation of an infinite number of Life universes as follows:
- Set A0 to generate an arbitrary Life pattern.
- Set universe B0 to genererate another layer of deep cells. This new layer has two universes, called A1 and B1.
- Set universe A1 to generate an arbitrary Life pattern.
- Set universe B1 to generate another layer of deep cells. This new layer has two universes, called A2 and B2.
- Continue on in this way ad infinitum.