Caterer is a period 3 oscillator found by Dean Hickerson on August 4, 1989. Its rotor is similar to that of jam. In terms of its minimum population of 12 this is the smallest period 3 oscillator, and tied with fox as the smallest wholly asymmetric oscillator.
More generally, any oscillator which serves up a bit in the same manner, such as T-nosed p4 and T-nosed p6, may be referred to as a caterer.
Caterer is about the forty-second most common naturally-occurring oscillator in Achim Flammenkamp's census, being about as frequent as griddle and beehive. On Catagolue, it is the fourth most common period 3 oscillator, being less common than candlefrobra on trans-block but more common than the candlefrobra on cis-block.
An 11-glider synthesis of the caterer was discovered by Tim Coe; Tanner Jacobi and Chris Cain later found a 7-glider synthesis.
- ↑ Dean Hickerson's oscillator stamp collection.
- ↑ Achim Flammenkamp (September 7, 2004). "Most seen natural occurring ash objects in Game of Life". Retrieved on January 15, 2009.
- ↑ Adam P. Goucher. "Census". Catagolue. Retrieved on October 27, 2018.
- ↑ "Life Credits". Mark D. Niemiec. Retrieved on June 10, 2011.
- 12P3.1 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs