The blinker is the smallest and most common oscillator, found by John Conway in March 1970. It is one of only a handful of known oscillators that is a polyomino, and it is the only known oscillator that is one cell thick (although the pentadecathlon is "almost" one cell thick in that there is a one cell thick pattern that is a grandparent of it).
The blinker is more than one hundred times as common in Achim Flammenkamp's census as the second most common oscillator, the toad. The blinker is also the second most common object on Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue.
- ↑ Achim Flammenkamp (September 7, 2004). "Most seen natural occurring ash objects in Game of Life". Retrieved on January 15, 2009.
- ↑ Adam P. Goucher. "Statistics". Catagolue. Retrieved on June 24, 2016.
- Blinker at Eric Weisstein's Treasure Trove of Life
- Blinker at the Life Lexicon
- Blinker at Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue