Project Alias

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Bjorn

Project Alias

Post by Bjorn » January 2nd, 2015, 4:57 pm

Project Alias:
The goal of Project Alias is simple: name patterns.

It started as I was looking through the lists of spaceships and oscillators and was disheartened to see how many lacked a name, instead they were stuck with a string of standardized letters and numbers. I believe that such patterns with so much personality deserve a name. That is why I am starting Project Alias.

My plan is to post a set of patterns without a formal name and have people suggest names and then debate, once a consensus is reached I'll post another set and start the cycle all over again.

With your help we can make sure that no pattern goes unnamed.

@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@

Bjorn

Re: Project Alias

Post by Bjorn » January 2nd, 2015, 5:07 pm

To start things off here are some nameless spaceships:

Current Name: 114P6H1V0 - - - - - Current Name: 44P5H2V0
ImageImage
New Name: Bulldozer - - - - - - - - - New Name: TBD

Current Name: 295P5H1V1
New Name: TBD
Last edited by Bjorn on January 3rd, 2015, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@

Extrementhusiast

Post by Extrementhusiast » January 2nd, 2015, 5:22 pm

For the first one, I was thinking of a name that references the fact that it deletes some objects in front of it, using its strong central forward spark. Perhaps the Broom?

Also, I think that while giving names to more significant objects is good, giving names to all objects isn't. Because of this, I actually like keeping the other two as they are, unless if they are important for some reason.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Bjorn

Post by Bjorn » January 2nd, 2015, 6:02 pm

Extrementhusiast wrote:For the first one, I was thinking of a name that references the fact that it deletes some objects in front of it, using its strong central forward spark. Perhaps the Broom?

Also, I think that while giving names to more significant objects is good, giving names to all objects isn't. Because of this, I actually like keeping the other two as they are, unless if they are important for some reason.
I was thinking along those lines for the first one, however I was leaning more towards bulldozer given how the front looks.

I agree with you and things not having names is fine, as long as no one notices. I want to name them so the wiki isn't full of standard names. They all are on the wiki for a reason, the second one was the first spaceship of its velocity not to be based on the very first of it's velocity, the third one is part of a sawtooth.

@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@

Sphenocorona

Post by Sphenocorona » January 3rd, 2015, 1:29 am

The spaceships that I think need to have names the most are those which are either the first of their velocity or the smallest known of their velocity. The smallest c/4 orthogonal ship isn't even on the wiki, which I think should be rectified as soon as possible. Of course, those with very unique properties (at least when they are first found) should also have names...

Extrementhusiast

Post by Extrementhusiast » January 3rd, 2015, 2:08 pm

Bjorn wrote:
Extrementhusiast wrote:For the first one, I was thinking of a name that references the fact that it deletes some objects in front of it, using its strong central forward spark. Perhaps the Broom?

I was thinking along those lines for the first one, however I was leaning more towards bulldozer given how the front looks.
Bulldozer's fine with me.

Also, there is this comparison to astronomy: out of the 574 entries in Wikipedia's list of exoplanetary host stars, only two (Pollux and Fomalhaut) are named outright, and 53 mention the name of the constellation. The remaining 519 are known only by their catalogue numbers.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Bjorn

Post by Bjorn » January 3rd, 2015, 3:32 pm

Extrementhusiast wrote:
Bjorn wrote:

Bulldozer's fine with me.

Also, there is this comparison to astronomy: out of the 574 entries in Wikipedia's list of exoplanetary host stars, only two (Pollux and Fomalhaut) are named outright, and 53 mention the name of the constellation. The remaining 519 are known only by their catalogue numbers.
Okay, so unless anyone else contests it, the first one is now named bulldozer *christens with a champagne glass*.

Also on account of their second tier status I am changing the second two candidates and from now on I will try to only post very significant ones or interesting ones. Once all of those are named I will then do the next most significant, and so on.

@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@

Bjorn

Post by Bjorn » January 11th, 2015, 4:49 pm

For the second one I was thinking about naming it jellyfish based on how it moves.

@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 16th, 2015, 3:43 am

Bulldozer
Broom
Hammerhead! IMHO it's a brilliant idea!
Ivan Fomichev

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » February 16th, 2015, 4:18 am

codeholic wrote:Hammerhead!
Unfortunately, there's a spaceship with that name already.

codeholic

Post by codeholic » February 16th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Ah, that's why it sounded familiar :)
Ivan Fomichev

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » February 18th, 2015, 9:21 am

I think codeholic's c/98 spaceship needs a name.

And happy lunar new year's eve.(what unname posted is something like this, right?)

Kiran

Post by Kiran » August 25th, 2015, 11:56 am

For the second one I was thinking about naming it jellyfish based on how it moves.
This already exists.
Kiran Linsuain

towerator

Post by towerator » September 5th, 2015, 5:36 am

The 2c/5's movement is somewhat similar to the one of a tumbler, and you can imagine it's two sides are spinning in opposite dirtections) so I'd suggest a name based on spinning, something like core, rotor, helix, car-washer (now THAT would be a strange name).
This is game of life, this is game of life!
Loafin' ships eaten with a knife!

gmc_nxtman

Post by gmc_nxtman » September 6th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Perhaps this one could be named "crayfish"?

Xenonquark

Post by Xenonquark » October 5th, 2015, 8:36 pm

I'm thinking that the large diagonally moving ship should be called 'Battleship'.
Twelve plus one is equal to eleven plus two, anagram or not.

Tropylium

Post by Tropylium » November 14th, 2015, 10:09 pm

This is not quite the same as naming individual patterns, but, two terms for families of still lifes that I have kind-of proposed on LifeWiki sometime ago:
1) the family {tub, barge, long barge…; boat, long boat, long long boat…; ship, long ship, long long ship…} I call vessels;
2) the family {snake, long snake, long long snake, …; canoe, long canoe, long long canoe, …; eater, shillelagh, long shillelagh, …; integral, long integral, long long integral, …; …} I call strings.

Saka

Post by Saka » November 29th, 2015, 10:19 am

I have been call in 44p5h2v0 "butterfly" for a long time.
I think 295p5h1v1 should be called "giant shrimp"

muzik

Post by muzik » June 11th, 2016, 5:28 pm

25P3H1V0.2 looks like a flying saucer. Why not name it that?

muzik

Post by muzik » June 18th, 2016, 1:18 pm

This phase of the smallest c/6:

really kind of gets it the name "Blobfish".

muzik

Post by muzik » July 5th, 2016, 9:42 am

30P5H2V0 has a house on its leading edge in one phase. A caravan is basically a moving house, maybe we could call it that?

Also, any opinions on the other two name proposals?

Mr. Missed Her
Location: Somewhere within [time in years since this was entered] light-years of you.

Post by Mr. Missed Her » February 23rd, 2017, 5:48 pm

Xenonquark wrote:I'm thinking that the large diagonally moving ship should be called 'Battleship'.
Yeah, 295P5H1V1 does make me think of a warship of some kind. Though battleships tend to have the general shape of a very elongated oval. I'd call it something like "Destroyer."
muzik wrote:25P3H1V0.2 looks like a flying saucer. Why not name it that?

I vote for "Flying saucer" too. It'd be ironic if we named it UFO instead, since we identified it. Citation: It's identified as 25P3H1V0.2.
There is life on Mars. We put it there with not-completely-sterilized rovers.
And, for that matter, the Moon, Jupiter, Titan, and 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

Saka

Post by Saka » February 26th, 2017, 7:33 am

I suggest that the new c7 be called "Hivenblinker" because it pushes hives and blinkers. Also a parody of the heisenblinker

chenterodri

Post by chenterodri » August 7th, 2021, 7:57 pm

muzik wrote:
July 5th, 2016, 9:42 am
30P5H2V0 has a house on its leading edge in one phase. A caravan is basically a moving house, maybe we could call it that?

Also, any opinions on the other two name proposals? YES... I would like the name Lost-in-the-space or Old-Robot for 30P5H2V0

For the ship Bulldozer, what about the name Warrior Dance ?

chenterodri

Post by chenterodri » August 8th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Mr. Missed Her wrote:
February 23rd, 2017, 5:48 pm
Xenonquark wrote:I'm thinking that the large diagonally moving ship should be called 'Battleship'.
Yeah, 295P5H1V1 does make me think of a warship of some kind. Though battleships tend to have the general shape of a very elongated oval. I'd call it something like "Destroyer."
-----------------------------------------
Current Name: 295P5H1V1 :arrow: What about "Yamato" ? :?: It was a large battleship.
----------------------------------------
muzik wrote:25P3H1V0.2 looks like a flying saucer. Why not name it that?

I vote for "Flying saucer" too. It'd be ironic if we named it UFO instead, since we identified it. Citation: It's identified as 25P3H1V0.2.