Golly 2.7 is now available

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Andrew

Golly 2.7 is now available

Post by Andrew » May 19th, 2015, 2:14 am

Golly 2.7 is now available from SourceForge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/golly/ ... golly-2.7/

This version fixes some important bugs, so all Golly users are strongly advised to upgrade (very easy to do if you followed the advice in Help > Hints and Tips).
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife

flipper77

Re: Golly 2.7 is now available

Post by flipper77 » May 19th, 2015, 3:20 am

I'm running the Windows 7 64-bit version, and it seems the interface is a bit off, is that intentional?
Here's what 2.6 looks like:
Golly 2.6.png
Golly 2.6.png (119.27 KiB) Viewed 37161 times
Here's what 2.7 looks like:
Golly 2.7.png
Golly 2.7.png (120 KiB) Viewed 37161 times
Another thing I'd like to mention is that Perl scripts don't work anymore, last version they worked in was 2.5, later versions of Golly can't find perl512.dll, even though 2.5 has no problem finding it. I personally don't use Perl scripts too much, but I still want to point this out.

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » May 19th, 2015, 7:56 am

flipper77 wrote:I'm running the Windows 7 64-bit version, and it seems the interface is a bit off, is that intentional?
Hmm. Windows Metro style? :) Did the design change with other OSs?
flipper77 wrote:Another thing I'd like to mention is that Perl scripts don't work anymore, last version they worked in was 2.5, later versions of Golly can't find perl512.dll, even though 2.5 has no problem finding it. I personally don't use Perl scripts too much, but I still want to point this out.
Agreed. I found (with some effort) and installed both strawberry and activestate perl 5.12 but failed to make them work with golly. On Linux, on the other hand, perl works following the instructions in the help page... But I think it would be nicer if it came along with the new versions of perl that comes with the OS by default.
Last edited by Scorbie on May 19th, 2015, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 19th, 2015, 9:05 am

flipper77 wrote:I'm running the Windows 7 64-bit version, and it seems the interface is a bit off, is that intentional?
The 64-bit Golly on Windows is now built with wxWidgets 3.x (Tom had problems trying to build it with 2.8 ). For some unknown reason the wx folks decided to change the default appearance of buttons, icons, etc. A similar ugly change occurred in the Mac builds. I prefer the old rounded buttons but I don't know how to get them back. Note that the 32-bit Golly for Windows is built with wx 2.8 and so has rounded buttons.
Another thing I'd like to mention is that Perl scripts don't work anymore, last version they worked in was 2.5, later versions of Golly can't find perl512.dll, even though 2.5 has no problem finding it.
Are you sure your Perl is 64-bit? If so, one thing to try would be to edit the perl_lib setting in your GollyPrefs file and set it to the full path to your perl512.dll file.

Failing that, try installing Strawberry Perl 5.12 (64-bit) from the new link given in Help > Perl Scripting. Dave Greene managed to get Strawberry Perl 5.12 working with Golly 2.7, so it's definitely possible.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 19th, 2015, 9:10 am

Scorbie wrote:But I think it would be nicer if it came along with the new versions of perl that comes with the OS by default.
The problem is that newer versions of Perl are not binary compatible with older versions. Even worse, 5.14, 5.16, 5.18 and 5.20 are all mutually incompatible. Golly will only work with certain versions (5.10 and 5.12) that are compatible with the Perl header files Golly is compiled against. This is very annoying and the main reason we may well drop support for Perl in a future version of Golly (possibly replacing it with Lua).

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » May 19th, 2015, 9:31 am

Andrew wrote:Golly will only work with certain versions (5.10 and 5.12) that are compatible with the Perl header files Golly is compiled against. This is very annoying and the main reason we may well drop support for Perl in a future version of Golly (possibly replacing it with Lua).
I remember seeing a patch to make golly work with perl 5.14+ but I think you guys would know better! :wink:
Anyway, reporting a bug that I have ignored and have not noticed: When I try to run a script, the top most script is run before the script I clicked.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 19th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Scorbie wrote:I remember seeing a patch to make golly work with perl 5.14+ ...
It's not hard to get Golly to compile with the Perl 5.14 headers, but if we did that then people who have been happily running Perl scripts using 5.10/12 would suddenly find that the new Golly crashes when they try to run a script.
Anyway, reporting a bug that I have ignored and have not noticed: When I try to run a script, the top most script is run before the script I clicked.
More details please! Which platform? 32-bit or 64-bit? Are you saying the same bug used to happen in 2.6 as well? I can't reproduce any such problem on my Mac/Win/Linux systems.

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » May 19th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Andrew wrote:More details please! Which platform? 32-bit or 64-bit? Are you saying the same bug used to happen in 2.6 as well? I can't reproduce any such problem on my Mac/Win/Linux systems.
Windows 8.1, golly 2.7b2 and 2.7. I took a video of it. Will send you by email if you actually need one.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 19th, 2015, 8:43 pm

I only have access to a Win XP box so I'll have to get the other devs to have a look at the problem. Please send me the video though (or put it up on YouTube or some place) -- could be useful.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 19th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Scorbie, a few more questions:

Does the same problem happen when you click on a pattern file?

What about when you click on a folder icon -- ie. does the correct folder open/close?

When you say the "top most script" do you mean the script immediately above the one you clicked, or the script at the very top of the panel?

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » May 22nd, 2015, 1:45 pm

I've an old issue - but it's pretty annoying.

I'm working on Windows 7 64 bit, and have python 2.7 both 32 and 64 bit. The 32 bit version of golly 2.6 works well with 32 bit python. But 64 bit golly (2.6 and 2.7) doesn't accepts 2.7 64 bit python (2.7.9 to be exact).

What happens: I'm starting a script, and golly asks me to post python*.dll. I pass in path to python27.dll 64 bit from installed library of python, and it requests the dll again.

EDIT golly 2.7 32 bit crash when I start any python script - without any prompt at all.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 22nd, 2015, 8:25 pm

simsim314 wrote:I'm working on Windows 7 64 bit, and have python 2.7 both 32 and 64 bit. The 32 bit version of golly 2.6 works well with 32 bit python. But 64 bit golly (2.6 and 2.7) doesn't accepts 2.7 64 bit python (2.7.9 to be exact).

What happens: I'm starting a script, and golly asks me to post python*.dll. I pass in path to python27.dll 64 bit from installed library of python, and it requests the dll again.
Having both 32-bit and 64-bit builds of Golly on the one machine is not something I'd recommend, but if you want to do it then you'll need to make sure that each build has its own GollyPrefs file.
golly 2.7 32 bit crash when I start any python script - without any prompt at all.
Sounds like the 32-bit Golly is trying to use the 64-bit Python. If you got 32-bit Golly 2.6 running scripts successfully then 2.7 should also work fine (we didn't make any code changes in that area). Try these steps to fix the problem:

- Make sure both 32-bit and 64-bit Golly aren't running.

- Move GollyPrefs (should be in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Golly\) into the same folder as the 32-bit Golly.exe.

- Copy that GollyPrefs into the same folder as the 64-bit Golly.exe. (And make sure those exe files aren't in the same folder!)

- Edit both GollyPrefs files and make sure the perl_lib setting points to the correct FULL path to the appropriate python27.dll file for each build. Please let me know what those paths are.

- Now test if both Golly builds can run Python scripts. If they can't then I don't know what is going wrong!

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » May 23rd, 2015, 9:50 am

Andrew wrote:Having both 32-bit and 64-bit builds of Golly on the one machine is not something I'd recommend
Well "unfortunately" they both are working now - and I didn't do anything except closing golly 2.6.

Maybe you need to make sure while installing, no golly instance is working - otherwise python scripts are failing.

- I moved to golly 2.7, will be a bit smarter after few days of experience.

EDIT It would be also nice to have "full migration" on installation, from 2.6 to 2.7. The scripts and rules folders should be copied to the new golly instance. I did it by hand, but I think this should be done on install.

EDIT2 It's kinda hard to re-associate .rle extention with golly 2.7 on Windows 7. Probably this also should be done on install.

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » May 23rd, 2015, 5:27 pm

There is an old and extremely annoying bug that was in previous versions of golly as well.

When you open few instances of golly on Windows 7, after a while all windows interface goes crazy (you can't miss it - just open few instances and you will get it). On my old computer it was going crazy after 4 instances, in the office after 3, and at my new pc after 6 instances. It migh have something with number of cores, but this is consistent bug that you can easily reproduce opening say 10 golly instances on any home computer.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » May 23rd, 2015, 5:42 pm

simsim314 wrote:There is an old and extremely annoying bug that was in previous versions of golly as well.
I had never run into this before, even when trying to open multiple Golly instances to run apgsearch. But I always stopped before the number of Golly instances exceeded the number of cores.

When I try to open ten Golly 2.6 instances as fast as possible on an old 32-bit laptop (a single-core Dell running Windows 7 Professional SP1, with 2GB RAM) I do indeed see a variety of errors after the first few instances open. The most common might be

Code: Select all

---------------------------
Golly.exe - Application Error
---------------------------
The exception Integer division by zero.

(0xc0000094) occurred in the application at location 0x004527b2.

Click on OK to terminate the program
followed by messages like "Can't load bitmap file 'tile_down' from resources! Check .rc file." Clicking "Details" produces output like the following:

16:37:10: Failed to create cursor.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'cross_curs' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'hand_curs' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'zoomin_curs' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'zoomout_curs' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'play' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'stop' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'reset' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'algo' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'autofit' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'hyper' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'new' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'open' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'save' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'patterns' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'scripts' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'info' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'help' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'autofit_down' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'hyper_down' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'patterns_down' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Can't load bitmap 'scripts_down' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:10: Couldn't add an image to the image list.
16:37:11: Can't load bitmap 'add' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:11: Can't load bitmap 'clone' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:11: Can't load bitmap 'duplicate' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:11: Can't load bitmap 'delete' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:11: Can't load bitmap 'stack' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:11: Can't load bitmap 'tile' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:11: Can't load bitmap 'stack_down' from resources! Check .rc file.
16:37:11: Can't load bitmap 'tile_down' from resources! Check .rc file.
Does this match the kind of "going crazy" that you're talking about, or are you describing something different?

gameoflifeboy

Post by gameoflifeboy » May 23rd, 2015, 5:49 pm

simsim314 wrote:There is an old and extremely annoying bug that was in previous versions of golly as well.

When you open few instances of golly on Windows 7, after a while all windows interface goes crazy (you can't miss it - just open few instances and you will get it). On my old computer it was going crazy after 4 instances, in the office after 3, and at my new pc after 6 instances. It migh have something with number of cores, but this is consistent bug that you can easily reproduce opening say 10 golly instances on any home computer.
I've gotten something like this before. For me it always seems to happen when my Windows computer runs apgsearch, usually several instances at once. After I am finally able to close all the windows, the computer's theme has changed.

Sometimes I also get messages with "divide by zero" errors.

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » May 23rd, 2015, 8:27 pm

dvgrn wrote:When I try to open ten Golly 2.6 instances as fast as possible
You don't need to do it fast - every machine has it's own limit of golly instances. I'm not sure what it depends on, but at the moment you open new instance that exceed the number of allowed instances you get errors. 10 is just a magic number assuming no home pc has more than 10 cores, and seeing some correlation between number of cores and the error.
dvgrn wrote:Does this match the kind of "going crazy" that you're talking about, or are you describing something different?
Well you were lucky to only get a nice error. I'm getting windows upside down, can't see the desktop, click is not responding and many windows jump when moving the mouse, applications like chrome, notepad++ or flash inside chrome crash (not always but many times). I do see some error, and clicking stops the madness, but clicking is pretty hard task when it happens. And this "crazy behavior" was very consistent across many PCs I used (maybe chrome should be opened to see this behavior).

Obviously no error should appear as well - it's probably the same bug anyway.

EDIT Regarding user experience, I'm usually using many instances of golly. So I need to be aware all the time that I'm not exceeding the allowed number of instances. This behaviors is very serious user experience limitation for me, and extremely consistent. On my home pc I have limit of 6 instances, every time I open the 7th instance this stuff happens. I never managed to exceed 6 instances. At the office I opened by accident 4 instances, and the limitation there is 3, and the same crazy behavior had happen.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 23rd, 2015, 8:40 pm

simsim314 wrote:Well "unfortunately" they both are working now - and I didn't do anything except closing golly 2.6.
Weird. I don't really understand how that could happen, but it's probably something to do with the different versions all sharing a single GollyPrefs file. When Golly quits it completely rewrites GollyPrefs (which is why there's no point editing that file when Golly is running). So if you want to have multiple versions of Golly then best that each has its own GollyPrefs file (ie. in the same folder as the .exe). Minor tip: creating an empty GollyPrefs file is a simple way to restore all of Golly's initial preferences -- occasionally useful.
It would be also nice to have "full migration" on installation, from 2.6 to 2.7. The scripts and rules folders should be copied to the new golly instance. I did it by hand, but I think this should be done on install.
That's a definite no-no! What if we made changes to the supplied scripts/rules in 2.7? Doing the above will clobber those changes. Sounds like you have stored your own scripts/rules in the supplied folders -- that's another big no-no. See the bottom of Help > Hints and Tips for a simple way to organize your Golly folder so that you don't have to modify the supplied folders (which makes it easy to upgrade to a newer version) but also allows easy access to your own scripts/rules/patterns.
It's kinda hard to re-associate .rle extention with golly 2.7 on Windows 7. Probably this also should be done on install.
I assume that would require us to distribute Golly in some sort of installer. Sorry, but I don't know anything about how to do that.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 23rd, 2015, 8:52 pm

dvgrn wrote:When I try to open ten Golly 2.6 instances as fast as possible on an old 32-bit laptop (a single-core Dell running Windows 7 Professional SP1, with 2GB RAM) I do indeed see a variety of errors after the first few instances open.
I know that on Windows there is a finite limit to the number of resources (cursors, bitmaps, etc) available to an app. Clearly that extends to all instances of that app -- something I didn't know! I'm not sure why things go crazy, because we do have checks in the code that should quit Golly if something like a cursor resource can't be loaded. See for example CreateCursors() in wxprefs.cpp. For some reason those Fatal dialog calls aren't happening. Sounds like a wxMSW bug, so I'm not sure we can do anything about this.

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » May 24th, 2015, 9:21 am

Andrew wrote: something I didn't know!
Does this means you can fix it now? I don't recall any other application having this limitation.
Andrew wrote: For some reason those Fatal dialog calls aren't happening.
Well they are happening (I see a dialog as well), but in a stage when windows is already going crazy (maybe because of other apps). In this case I would consider to close golly without any prompt, the prompt might be part of what causing the problem.

EDIT Other than that looks good for now. For some reason I got a feeling in very big files, golly 2.7 x64 stucks more, but I can't prove it I'm even not sure this happens more than in golly 2.6 x32.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » May 24th, 2015, 7:39 pm

simsim314 wrote:Does this means you can fix it now?
Not really. It would mean digging into the wxMSW source code, which isn't easy if (like me) you're not familiar with the Win32 API. I've done my share of fixing bugs in wxWidgets code (mostly for Mac) and it isn't fun. Using a big cross-platform library like wxWidgets has lots of advantages, but when things go wrong it can be very hard to find a solution!
Well they are happening (I see a dialog as well), but in a stage when windows is already going crazy (maybe because of other apps). In this case I would consider to close golly without any prompt, the prompt might be part of what causing the problem.
Are you sure the dialog is from Golly? It's title would be "Golly error:". Even if it is a Golly-generated dialog I'm not sure how it helps not showing it when Windows is already "going crazy", and anyway I've no idea how we would detect that situation. At least in this case you know what causes the problem (ie. creating too many instances of Golly) so it should be pretty easy to avoid.

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » May 25th, 2015, 5:56 am

Andrew wrote:At least in this case you know what causes the problem (ie. creating too many instances of Golly) so it should be pretty easy to avoid.
Well I find myself most of the time worrying about this issue. Not that I can't avoid it - but I need to always think before I open golly file how many instances running. Not saying it's impossible, but VERY annoying, and on stations where there are limitation of 3 instances it happens to me all the time without even noticing.

I'm surprised that this issue was only raised up by me.
Andrew wrote: It would mean digging into the wxMSW source code

Is there no workaround? like creating new Windows resources per golly instance? How many shared resources do you have? I think it's something minor like golly icon or something basic of this sort.

Snotnose

Post by Snotnose » May 25th, 2015, 2:32 pm

I have a question on Life-Like/p168-knightship.rle. The rule is B013568/S01, the pattern is a few cells in a small area. As I read the rule, cells with 0 neighbors will spawn a live cell. Shouldn't the second generation of this pattern have all cells that aren't next to the starting cells, e.g. pretty much all of them, go live? Third generation, as a cell only survives if it has 0 or 1 neighbor, pretty much all cells die.

This is not what golly does with the pattern.

I may be misunderstanding something here. My reading of the rule is that if a dead cell has 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, or 8 neighbors it spawns a live cell. If a live cell has 0 or 1 neighbor it survives, else it dies. amirite or amirong?

Extrementhusiast

Post by Extrementhusiast » May 25th, 2015, 2:42 pm

What Golly does with B0/D8 rules is that it inverts every other generation, to avoid ending up with a population of infinity. In other words:

(assume all patterns extend off to infinity)
This is the pattern at generation zero:

.................#....#.....................
.................##.###.....................
................##...#......................
..................#.#.......................
This is the pattern at generation one, displayed verbatim:

############################################
################..#.....####################
################........####################
################......######################
################.##.#.######################
###################.########################
...which has an infinite population. This is the pattern at generation one, displayed by Golly:

................##.#####....................
................########....................
................######......................
................#..#.#......................
...................#........................
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Snotnose

Post by Snotnose » May 25th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Yeah, that fits with my understanding. Thanks!