Is it okay to cancel gfind searches?

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
Platypus6

Is it okay to cancel gfind searches?

Post by Platypus6 » August 18th, 2018, 11:54 am

Fresh off of managing to install gfind, I ran a search for c/3 ships using a depth level of 140.

Is it safe to cancel searches? Because my computer is now trying to search for a c/3 ships of width 46. It has been 20 minutes, and it is only on the 2nd pass through.

EDIT: Well, I went ahead and did it, and praise the lord, my computer did not explode or become permanently damaged. I then re-opened the search tool and re-did the search, except this time at a more manageable level of 100. Hopefully I don't regret this either.

(I really hope I at least get a nifty looking ship maybe even an edgesparker out of this)
C/3 battleships guy. Returned from dormancy, forgot old password, created new account.

AforAmpere

Re: Is it okay to cancel gfind searches?

Post by AforAmpere » August 18th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Canceling a script is not an issue with any search programs that I know of. In fact, canceling can be very helpful when you type an error in the input, or use l140 (or any too large width) with gfind. Ctrl + c does not cause any issues.
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

dani

Post by dani » August 19th, 2018, 10:39 am

...I feel somewhat that this may be a troll post, but I'm unsure.

To reiterate the above: yes, it is okay to cancel gfind searches. As long as you type rm -rf / after jk don't do that I don't want you to sue me

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » August 19th, 2018, 11:50 pm

This guy previously made the "Should I install gfind if I don't know what I'm doing?" thread, so I don't think it's a troll post.

KittyTac

Post by KittyTac » August 21st, 2018, 10:53 pm

I don't think there's any way GOL can break your computer...

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » August 22nd, 2018, 2:22 am

KittyTac wrote:I don't think there's any way GOL can break your computer...
Well, maybe not CGoL in general, but I can image a badly-configured search program using up a computer's entire RAM and causing it to crash, or something like that. This question was specifically about a search program, after all.

Platypus6

Post by Platypus6 » August 23rd, 2018, 4:32 pm

Thank you everyone. No, this was not a troll post. I am just some random person who has a side interest in GoL, specifically c/3 and c/4 rakes and puffers. It took me a while to even figure out how to access gfind after installing it, because when its instructions said to run it out of the "terminal", I automatically assumed this meant windows command prompt.

As it turns out, gfind does not seem to be a particularly good program for rapidly finding edgesparkers. Mostly it just gives me turtles.
C/3 battleships guy. Returned from dormancy, forgot old password, created new account.