Hacking apgsearch

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
Majestas32

Re: Hacking apgsearch

Post by Majestas32 » August 11th, 2022, 11:07 am

From what I've heard from others, by default apgsearch does periodicity checking every 30 generations since most oscillators in CGOL are divisible by this. However, for other rules, a different value of this would be more efficient. Where in the code is this number to change?
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Currently looking for help searching these rules.

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » August 11th, 2022, 12:00 pm

Um I am not sure if this is correct, but apgoucher suggested to change includes/stabilise.h 's line 12 to the period you want some time ago, i think that might work.

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » August 12th, 2022, 12:13 pm

I've managed to give myself a factor of 3+ increase in MoveroVIII searching speed. Now that that's complete, I'm turning to further improvements, specifically adding bespoke escaping glider detection to handle the c/6d glider of Justfriends and the Turro/Movero rulespace. I don't really have an idea where to start though.
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » August 14th, 2022, 9:11 am

What is CatGel_Test? Some B2-a rules are apgsearching and uploading hauls to this symmetry, but there is nothing special about the 16×16 asymmetric soups.

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » December 24th, 2022, 4:59 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
August 14th, 2022, 9:11 am
What is CatGel_Test? Some B2-a rules are apgsearching and uploading hauls to this symmetry, but there is nothing special about the 16×16 asymmetric soups.
My test symmetry to ensure that my customized version of apgsearch optimized for these rules actually worked and produced a distribution of objects that would be expected from these rules.
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

lemon41625

Post by lemon41625 » April 30th, 2024, 8:48 pm

Cyclotrons wrote:
September 7th, 2021, 4:01 pm
Since I don't think wwei ever put it on the forums, I'll be posting a modified version of their spaceinvaders hacked apgsearch. It is for searching rules that can (but don't always) explode, and it does this by skipping soups when they exceed a certain generation number or a certain population.

To use it, unpack it into whatever directory you are going to use it in, then type chmod +x recompile.sh so that you have the required permissions to run it. From there, you can use it as you would use unmodified apgsearch. Note that population/generation checking is done for every search you do with this; it is not confined to a specific symmetry or argument.

If you wish to change what population/generation to skip a soup at, go to includes/paramsxp2.h and change the values there. Note that smaller values mean that a search goes faster, but also mean that growth patterns are less likely to be reported.

apgspaceinvaders.7z
I made some modifications to this, mostly updating the apgsearch version and allowing the maximum population and minimum population to be set as command-line arguments. Hauls will also automatically be uploaded to <symmetry>_spaceinvaders to avoid mixing hauls with regular symmetries if the --maxpop or --maxgen arguments are set to avoid mixing hauls with regular symmetries, unless the symmetry is an stdin symmetry.

The code can be found at https://github.com/jedlimlx/apgspaceinvaders.
Download CAViewer: https://github.com/jedlimlx/Cellular-Automaton-Viewer

Supports:
BSFKL, Extended Generations, Regenerating Generations, Naive Rules, R1 Moore, R2 Cross and R2 Von Neumann INT
And some others...