ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Search utilities executable?

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.

Search utilities executable?

Postby Scorbie » October 10th, 2014, 2:03 pm

I was wondering if I could get a copy of windows 8 64bit executable versions of search utilities??
I tried to compile c(++) codes of ptbsearch, randomagar, and bellman, but all produced a lot of errors(so they didn't compile.) Maybe I can list the errors if anybody wants to see it.
I used gcc compiler, but don't know much about versions of my computer and compilers.
Thanks!
Best wishes to you, Scorbie
Scorbie

Re: Search utilities executable?

Postby dvgrn » October 10th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Just spent some time looking around to see if anything was available already. A 32-bit executable ought to work all right on 64-bit windows, it just maybe won't be as fast as it could be.

Have you tried out Michael Simkin's version of catalyst/catgl, with a Golly Python GUI front end? This would be for finding Spartan or near-Spartan completions of things like your hopeful blockade-B-heptomino reflector. It doesn't support transparent junk objects, so I'd say it's not very likely to turn up anything useful -- but you never know until you try...!

Paul Callahan's 'ptbsearch' does support transparent objects. I thought I had put up a ptbsearch executable somewhere, but now Google can't locate it for me -- maybe i'm thinking of gencols. Bellman doesn't seem to have an up-to-date compiled version available, either. I might try putting a Windows archive together when I get home tonight.
dvgrn

Postby Scorbie » October 11th, 2014, 2:52 am

dvgrn wrote:Have you tried out Michael Simkin's version of catalyst/catgl, with a Golly Python GUI front end? This would be for finding Spartan or near-Spartan completions of things like your hopeful blockade-B-heptomino reflector. It doesn't support transparent junk objects, so I'd say it's not very likely to turn up anything useful -- but you never know until you try...!
Oh! Actually, It was simsim314's catgl that found the reaction! I'm really thankful to Michael Simkin for making the program. Well, I did search further with catgl and roughly with gencols, but no good results. I also tried with Seeds Of Destruction, but not much luck. I'm still a novice at operating programs, so maybe I skipped something.
Thanks!!
Scorbie

Postby Sokwe » October 12th, 2014, 2:15 am

Here are executables for ptbsearch compiled on Windows 7 (included along with all of the source files):
ptbsearch.zip
(150.9 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

Hopefully they work on Windows 8. The makefile in the distribution on David Eppstein's website contains instructions to compile a bunch of programs that don't seem to be included. This doesn't matter, because ptbsearch only uses ptb2.exe and survive.exe. I modified the makefile in the above attachment so that it only includes these programs. I also included 3 other files:
  • picol.life: This file is mentioned in the readme, but didn't exist.
  • catalysts: This file contains all of the catalysts that I have used during searches. Some of the catalysts are given strange shapes to prevent extraneous output. (note: this is just a reference file. It is not used directly by ptbsearch, but it can be used to make .list files which are used by ptbsearch)
  • spartan.list: This is a list of spartan catalysts that can be used by ptbsearch.

I wasn't able to compile a 64-bit version of Bellman, as I was having trouble with the GD graphics library. Here is a 32-bit version which I hope works on Windows 8:
BellmanWin.zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 226 times

Edit: Added necessary dll files to Bellman zip file.
-Matthias Merzenich
Sokwe

Postby Scorbie » October 13th, 2014, 2:21 am

Thank you so much!!!
Scorbie

Postby Sokwe » October 14th, 2014, 4:08 am

Nicolay Beluchenko has made a Windows graphical user interface for RandomAgar:
RandAgar.zip
(456.28 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

The .zip contains a (32-bit) executable, as well as an html file explaining symmetry types and a documentation file. The explanation of symmetry types was take directly from the readme in Gabriel Nivasch's distribution of his random agar program. The documentation file is a rewrite of the documentation originally provided by Nicolay. The img folder contains images used by the html file.

Edit: I corrected some typos in the documentation file.
-Matthias Merzenich
Sokwe

Return to Scripts