Pattern Frequency Software

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Lewis

Pattern Frequency Software

Post by Lewis » March 18th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Is there any software out there that can generate a table of naturally-occurring patterns and their frequencies, that works with rules other than life. (ie. similar to the software at http://www.geocities.com/conwaylife/ which only runs the default rules.
So far, the only way I have been able to do this is with WinLife32 and by manually keeping runing totals of each pattern found, which makes it slow and difficult to operate on rules where many patterns occur naturally.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Re: Pattern Frequency Software

Post by Nathaniel » March 18th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Lewis wrote:Is there any software out there that can generate a table of naturally-occurring patterns and their frequencies, that works with rules other than life. (ie. similar to the software at http://www.geocities.com/conwaylife/ which only runs the default rules.
So far, the only way I have been able to do this is with WinLife32 and by manually keeping runing totals of each pattern found, which makes it slow and difficult to operate on rules where many patterns occur naturally.
I don't know of any off-hand. You could always try e-mailing Andrzej and asking for the source code, which he may or may not be willing to share. Not sure :/

Lewis

Post by Lewis » March 18th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Nathaniel wrote: I don't know of any off-hand. You could always try e-mailing Andrzej and asking for the source code, which he may or may not be willing to share. Not sure :/
The e-mail link on Andrzej's website doesn't seem to work.
Also, a while ago I e-mailed Achim Flammenkamp from http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/achim/gol.html about the software used to generate the statistics on his site, and was told that the program had been written specifically for the standard life rules, so changing it would be difficult.

MadMan

Post by MadMan » July 12th, 2009, 11:29 am

Finding the P3 Pulsar and claiming to have found a new oscillator is showing a naivette about Life. It's like finding a polyphemus moth and calling the museum to claim the discovery of a new species)It's that and the forum about "pattern frequency software" that prompts the following :

My Master Index -which preserves many patterns that otherwise are not shown gen. by gen. in my graph books (30 vol.,incl. the Master Index)- keeps a record of what I found from 1978 (home computers first came out) to 2001 (the tedium finally overcame me, and I went on to other things). I never found any new oscillators (tho monsters using the P30 Queen Bee and its stabilizing eaters or blocks were developed), spaceships or puffers. I did a lot of research into diehards and ancestors .

Not counting variants, the following were found. Usually they have to be 50 gen. or more, and have a init.size / gen. to maturity (or extinction) ratio of 7 or higher. I preferred patterns that were not scattered over unmanagable distances (like some of the unnatural constructs you seem to like). My findings were as follows :

DIEHARDS:198 (can't read the number) BLOCK:96 BEEHIVE:70 BLINKER:53 TRAFFIC LIGHTS:46 BOAT:25 HONEYFARM:51 (unusually high) LOAF:27 GLIDER:18 TUB:10 SHIP:7 POND: 9 PULSAR:5 FLEET:6 LONG BOAT:6 BAKERY:6 TOAD:3 BEACON:4 LATCH:2 BIBOAT:1 SHILLELAGH:1 BILOAF:2 EATER:2 BARGE:3 CIGAR (or MANGO):4 DEAD SPARKCOIL:1 BOOKENDS:1 THUNDERBIRD:2 LONG SNAKE:1 LONG BARGE:4 M.W. SPACESHIP:2 . After these are short-term ancestors for PENTADECATHLON, VERY LONG BOAT, CLOCK (got this from internet -it NEVER appeared in all my research), FANCY CHAIR, COOLIE HAT, BRAZIER, etc. In the last items, I had to lower my standards to get any in and a few had to be seeded to remove unwanted persistent ror malignant rubbishubbis