LifeWiki maintenance

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
simsim314

LifeWiki maintenance

Post by simsim314 » March 2nd, 2019, 5:14 am

As I found no thread for LifeWiki I thought to open one.

Here I suggest to:

1. Create list of missing articles.
2. Create list of articles needed to update and improve.
3. Report bugs and issues. For example this page for glider synth of syringe is not working.

dvgrn

Re: LifeWiki maintenance

Post by dvgrn » March 2nd, 2019, 6:39 am

simsim314 wrote:As I found no thread for LifeWiki I thought to open one.

Here I suggest to:

1. Create list of missing articles.
2. Create list of articles needed to update and improve.
3. Report bugs and issues. For example this page for glider synth of syringe is not working.
We've been using the Suggested LifeWiki edits thread for this kind of thing recently.

The syringe_synth.rle pattern is uploaded now. It was part of a small bulk-upload archive that I sent to Nathaniel on February 9th. Nathaniel has been busy enough lately that that email apparently got overlooked -- and when there are only a dozen files it's just as easy for me to upload them one by one, anyway.

In general, if there's a pattern in the RLE namespace on LifeWiki -- RLE:{pname}, like this -- then there's probably no need to report an issue. The problem will be fixed automatically the next time the auto-upload script is run.

If there isn't an RLE:{pname} article, then creating one will solve the problem -- as long as you're willing to be a little bit patient. The auto-upload script also complains when it can't find an RLE:{pname} article where there's supposed to be one, so these kinds of missing files should be much less of a problem from now on.

Once the bugs get worked out of this new bulk-upload delivery system, probably the script will only get run once a month or so. And come to think of it, I'll probably continue to add missing files with the old manual one-at-a-time upload system unless there are more than a hundred new additions. The hard part was always creating each file with all the right name and attribution and URL comment lines, and that's all done by the script now.