LIFELINE 2018

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Entity Valkyrie

LIFELINE 2018

Post by Entity Valkyrie » December 26th, 2018, 3:53 am

This is LIFELINE 2018, written by Entity Valkyrie. It is in the link below:

https://entityvalkyrielifeline.wordpres ... ne-2018-2/

Freywa

Re: LIFELINE 2018

Post by Freywa » December 26th, 2018, 5:22 am

I highly doubt we need something like this…
Princess of Science, Parcly Taxel

Code: Select all

x = 31, y = 5, rule = B2-a/S12
3bo23bo$2obo4bo13bo4bob2o$3bo4bo13bo4bo$2bo4bobo11bobo4bo$2bo25bo!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 26th, 2018, 11:31 am

Freywa wrote:I highly doubt we need something like this…
Well, careful with the wet-blanket snap judgments there. All of Life is fairly useless if you think about it too hard.

It's not really clear what the plan is for this "LifeLine 2018", though. I'm imagining something along the lines of short-article coverage of everything in Current News and the news archive for 2018 on the LifeWiki?

We definitely don't have a comprehensive news summary like that, on a level more detailed than the above bullet lists -- and even those are a new thing this year. Before that we mostly had to rely on Pattern of the Year nominations.

So if it was somehow possible to complete an effort like that and keep it up-to-date in future years, it would probably find its way pretty quickly into the main conwaylife.com news feed and other similar places, and quite a few people would be grateful to have it.

It might not be particularly polite to use the old LifeLine title without getting permission from Bob Wainwright, though. LifeLine was a very impressive effort, and is therefore a hard act to follow successfully.

I've done a lot of Life news-summary writing in the last decade, between Game of Life News and my Work in Progess blog. Fair warning: it's a huge amount of work to get all the details right. For me, and apparently everyone else involved in writing Game of Life News posts, it was fairly exhausting trying to keep up with current events, and very hard to keep up the motivation to keep writing long-term.

Even Bob Wainwright couldn't keep LifeLine going for more than half a decade or so, and Life was much simpler than.

Entity Valkyrie

Post by Entity Valkyrie » December 26th, 2018, 7:08 pm

I doubt too. This is for my school friends who are fans of Conway’s Game of Life. None of them have a registered account.

Entity Valkyrie

Post by Entity Valkyrie » December 26th, 2018, 7:10 pm

dvgrn wrote:
Well, careful with the wet-blanket snap judgments there. All of Life is fairly useless if you think about it too hard.

It's not really clear what the plan is for this "LifeLine 2018", though. I'm imagining something along the lines of short-article coverage of everything in Current News and the news archive for 2018 on the LifeWiki?

We definitely don't have a comprehensive news summary like that, on a level more detailed than the above bullet lists -- and even those are a new thing this year. Before that we mostly had to rely on Pattern of the Year nominations.

So if it was somehow possible to complete an effort like that and keep it up-to-date in future years, it would probably find its way pretty quickly into the main conwaylife.com news feed and other similar places, and quite a few people would be grateful to have it.

It might not be particularly polite to use the old LifeLine title without getting permission from Bob Wainwright, though. LifeLine was a very impressive effort, and is therefore a hard act to follow successfully.

I've done a lot of Life news-summary writing in the last decade, between Game of Life News and my Work in Progess blog. Fair warning: it's a huge amount of work to get all the details right. For me, and apparently everyone else involved in writing Game of Life News posts, it was fairly exhausting trying to keep up with current events, and very hard to keep up the motivation to keep writing long-term.

Even Bob Wainwright couldn't keep LifeLine going for more than half a decade or so, and Life was much simpler than.
As I said the the previous post, this may not be the thing for you. But I told my friends that I will write LIFELINE 2018, and so I did.

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » December 26th, 2018, 8:38 pm

I felt General Discussion was a better forum for this topic, so I moved it.
-Matthias Merzenich

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 26th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Entity Valkyrie wrote:... I told my friends that I will write LIFELINE 2018, and so I did.
Ah, got it. It looked like the link went to an empty Wordpress page -- I didn't see the clickable link on the first visit.

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » December 27th, 2018, 12:15 am

One thing to note though, Golly can't read the RLEs because the word "rule" instead of "Rule". You may try replacing that.
Also, glad to see the p5 pipsquirter does have any use. Could you tell me where the relevant discussion is? I cannot locate it in the forums.