Urgent: please stop searching b3s23h (hexagonal)

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
calcyman

Urgent: please stop searching b3s23h (hexagonal)

Post by calcyman » December 12th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Catagolue has been receiving an unprecedented amount of traffic recently (scroll to the far right of the image below):
kbps.png
kbps.png (78.12 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
The teal 'received' has jumped from an average of 2 KB/s to 7 KB/s.

The remaining 5 KB/s == 300 KB/min can be attributed entirely to the fact that someone has been uploading 800 KB hauls every 2.5 minutes to the b3s23h/C1 census. These contain a lot* of distinct objects (similar to hauls in Day & Night, which is a similarly heavy-tailed rule); the number of datastore read/writes induced by updating the sample soups for each new object is humongous. I've had to update the daily spending quota twice (from $3.00 to $5.00) owing to the outages and intend to reduce that again as soon as possible.

* 722522 in total, mainly from today's barrage.

I'm sure that this was done in good faith rather than being a deliberate DDoS (not least because the uploader has also contributed more sensibly to other rules), so I'll just suggest reading Apple Bottom's excellent and succinct advice on the Contributing to Catagolue tutorial:

http://conwaylife.com/wiki/Tutorials/Co ... ue#Caveats

If you want to search an outer-totalistic hexagonal rule, then b2s34h is the interesting Class-IV one.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

muzik

Re: Urgent: please stop searching b3s23h (hexagonal)

Post by muzik » December 12th, 2018, 9:53 pm

(Also, try out b2s356h. It's pretty similar.)

dani

Post by dani » December 12th, 2018, 10:02 pm

It may be viable to give out temporary rule bans. Just as a soft warning for people to stop searching a specific rule.

Senso

Post by Senso » December 13th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Well oops, that was me. I usually watch my instances pretty closely to make sure I'm not flooding but this one escaped me obviously. I'm very sorry about that. I wouldn't mind contributing to the hosting fund if that can someone fix my mistake. :oops: