Apgsearch GUI?

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
testitemqlstudop

Apgsearch GUI?

Post by testitemqlstudop » August 25th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Is an apgsearch GUI planned to be made? It would be easier for beginners to help contribute to Catagolue without needing to run apgsearch in the command line.
By GUI I mean just a wrapper for the command line interface, i.e. you type in the rule and symmetry along with the payosha key, and then it starts working, instead of typing it into the command line, which may intimidate beginners.

77topaz

Re: Apgsearch GUI?

Post by 77topaz » August 26th, 2018, 12:05 am

I think that the command line interface for apgsearch is simple and easy-to-understand enough not to be intimidating (and most people who want to run apgsearch have some programming background, anyway), so I'm not sure whether a GUI should be a priority compared to, say, general speed improvements. That said, it would still be a nice addition.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » August 26th, 2018, 1:11 am

Yes, I definitely agree - a GUI is not that important, compared to optimizations.

PySimpleGUI

Post by PySimpleGUI » December 20th, 2018, 2:08 pm

I can add a GUI to command line programs easily. Does anyone have an idea they can communicate? A sketch on a sheet of paper would do.

PySimpleGUI

Post by PySimpleGUI » December 21st, 2018, 12:31 pm

I downloaded the apgsearch code. It has 3 imports that are unresolved. Any clues where to get these packages?

Code: Select all

import golly as g
from glife import rect, pattern
import urllib2

M. I. Wright

Post by M. I. Wright » December 21st, 2018, 1:59 pm

Oh, thing is it's not actually a command-line program -- apgsearch v1 is a Golly script, so Golly makes those imports available when you run apgsearch with it. I'm not sure in any case whether testitemqlstudop was asking about a GUI for the v1 Python script or for the current (mostly-)C++ iteration of apgsearch, though.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » December 22nd, 2018, 6:41 am

M. I. Wright wrote:I'm not sure in any case whether testitemqlstudop was asking about a GUI for the v1 Python script or for the current (mostly-)C++ iteration of apgsearch, though.
Probably the latter; apgsearch v1 already has a GUI after all, it's called Golly. ;)
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » December 28th, 2018, 6:52 pm

PySimpleGUI wrote:I downloaded the apgsearch code. It has 3 imports that are unresolved. Any clues where to get these packages?

Code: Select all

import golly as g
from glife import rect, pattern
import urllib2
Golly can be downloaded from this very website (see the "Download Golly" link in the page header). I think just having Golly should be sufficient to fix those other two errors as well.