Golly 3.2b2

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Andrew

Golly 3.2b2

Post by Andrew » June 12th, 2018, 8:42 pm

EDIT: Removed links to Golly 3.2b2.

Changes since 3.2b1:

* Most of the changes are in 3D.lua. It's now faster and supports a number of different neighborhoods, including Busy Boxes. See the 3D.lua thread for details.

* Golly will automatically start up 3D.lua if you open a .rle3 file or a clipboard containing a 3D pattern.

* The getevent command now returns a "file filepath" event if the user tries to open a file while a script is running. Only 3D.lua uses this event at the moment.

* New and updated files in the Patterns folder (see Help > Changes for details).

* Includes release 29 of the Life Lexicon.

If there are no major problems then this should be the final beta version of 3.2, so please give it a good test.
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife

F_rank

Re: Golly 3.2b2

Post by F_rank » June 20th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Apologies if this should go to a more general Golly thread.

When using Golly with Torus rules, it would be very nice to have under the Edit menu - next to Flip and Rotate - also a "Shift horizontally" and a "Shift vertically" command (more precisely, it should be "Rotate" but this may be potentially more confusing than "Shift").

Just noticed that this is missing - no wonder if it makes little sense on an indefinite plane. But for any boundary rules (e.g. tori) it does make sense.

KittyTac

Post by KittyTac » June 21st, 2018, 10:34 am

Yay! The already excellent program is getting better and better with each update!

dani

Post by dani » June 24th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Why aren't python cell lists in tuples?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » June 24th, 2018, 5:03 pm

danny wrote:Why aren't python cell lists in tuples?
They can be if you want them to be -- Scorbie asked this question a while back, and there's a summary in that thread about converting cell lists to tuples and back.

I guess the short answer is that compared to a simple linear list, tuples take up significantly more space and are less efficient for Python to handle, or (maybe especially) to transfer back and forth to Golly's internal C++ code. For the long answer see the above link.

muzik

Post by muzik » July 1st, 2018, 4:34 pm

Can an updated version of my speeds rule mashup be used instead for unit-fraction-orthogonal-spaceships?

Also, the name in the attribution in horiship-guns.rle should probably be updated.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 2nd, 2018, 8:31 am

muzik wrote:Can an updated version of my speeds rule mashup be used instead for unit-fraction-orthogonal-spaceships?

Also, the name in the attribution in horiship-guns.rle should probably be updated.
Thanks! I'm down to the wire on new checkins, though, and the linked Rainbow 3.0 pattern needs some explanation of the difference between the two rows. Can somebody put together a set of explanatory comments like the ones in unit-fraction-orthogonal-spaceships? What's the significance of the random-ish scattering of ships in the upper left? Why is that ridiculously large c/12 ship in the top row but not the bottom row? etc.

muzik

Post by muzik » July 2nd, 2018, 9:18 am

dvgrn wrote:Why is that ridiculously large c/12 ship in the top row but not the bottom row?
Because it's actually 2c/12.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 2nd, 2018, 10:34 am

muzik wrote:
dvgrn wrote:Why is that ridiculously large c/12 ship in the top row but not the bottom row?
Because it's actually 2c/12.
If I'm understanding the classification system right, ecologist would belong on a fifth row above everything that's there -- way over in the 20th column. Is there some criterion that keeps it from being there, or did you just happen to stop collecting at 4c/N? (That would be a perfectly reasonable executive decision -- just making sure I'm not missing anything.)

This is the kind of detail that often keeps me from adding new stuff to Golly's collection. Getting comments to include with the pattern, and being sure that they're the right comments, is often a surprisingly long and painful job.

muzik

Post by muzik » July 2nd, 2018, 12:50 pm

It would be included there.

Pretty much everything that isn't c/n or 2c/n can be ignored for most purposes at this point, since I haven't included any 3c/n spaceship rules aside from Life itself.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 2nd, 2018, 12:58 pm

muzik wrote:It would be included there.

Pretty much everything that isn't c/n or 2c/n can be ignored for most purposes at this point, since I haven't included any 3c/n spaceship rules aside from Life itself.
So what pattern should I check in exactly, and what are the comments that should be included with it? Lots of bonus points are available if the actual file to be checked in shows up here as an attachment.

(Probably the same ZIP file structure is needed for this as for unit-fractions-orthogonal-spaceships.zip -- have to include the rule in the same archive with the pattern file.)

muzik

Post by muzik » July 2nd, 2018, 1:34 pm

On that topic, the unit fraction orthogonal spaceships file doesn't work at all on the iOS version. It appears to read the script as a pattern file. What exactly is the script for, anyway?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 2nd, 2018, 2:19 pm

muzik wrote:On that topic, the unit fraction orthogonal spaceships file doesn't work at all on the iOS version. It appears to read the script as a pattern file. What exactly is the script for, anyway?
The script was a workaround by Andrew, if I'm remembering right, to prevent Golly from popping up a window every time it opened the ZIP file. The original ZIP file had the rule table and the pattern file in it as I described. Works fine, but Golly pops up a window to announce that it has installed the rule every time.

The Lua script creates the rule on the fly, then also creates the appropriate macrocell file in a temp directory and then opens it. No popups to worry about... but it hadn't occurred to me there would be a problem with the iOS version. Will ask around about that.