apgsearch tutorial

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
cordership3

apgsearch tutorial

Post by cordership3 » April 23rd, 2018, 11:54 am

For anybody interested, here's the tutorial link I posted on the Discord server last night:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sSd ... sp=sharing

Also, here's the CGOL introduction page (WIP), as information to have before getting into apgsearch.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kfE ... sp=sharing

EDIT: The apgsearch/Catagolue tutorial link is now view-only, if you would like to contribute, please PM me your email address (Google because it's google docs)

EDIT 2: Changed back to edit access thru link.
Last edited by cordership3 on April 24th, 2018, 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
evil twin of cordership2

dani

Re: apgsearch tutorial

Post by dani » April 23rd, 2018, 12:10 pm

You may want to turn off public edit access, you run the risk of getting trolls. :^(

cordership3

Post by cordership3 » April 23rd, 2018, 2:52 pm

Ok, so how else should I share this to everybody? The only other way I can find is by email invite.
evil twin of cordership2

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 23rd, 2018, 3:03 pm

cordership3 wrote:Ok, so how else should I share this to everybody? The only other way I can find is by email invite.
Just click on "Share" in the upper right corner when the document is open, and change the sharing setting to "Anyone with the link can view" (instead of "...can edit").

If you have anyone that you want to be able to help with the editing, you can do custom invites in the lower part of that same popup window, giving editing rights to just the people you name.

cordership3

Post by cordership3 » April 23rd, 2018, 3:12 pm

I know, I just thought that it could be hard to get everyone's email addresses to invite them.
evil twin of cordership2

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 23rd, 2018, 3:39 pm

cordership3 wrote:I know, I just thought that it could be hard to get everyone's email addresses to invite them.
If you want all us regular forum denizens to be able to edit the documents, rather than just looking at them, then really it's probably okay to just put the setting back to "everyone on the list can edit", and not worry about it. Even if you had all the emails, it doesn't seem reasonable to send out a lot of invites just in case someone might want to edit.

It's not really all that likely that rampaging trolls will trash your work -- and even if they do, I don't think anyone but you can delete the document or clear the edit history. So if anything bad happens, you could just revert to the last good copy. And then maybe switching to the "...can view" option and dealing with permissions headaches would make sense.

Anyway, thanks for doing this apgsearch documentation!

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » April 23rd, 2018, 4:56 pm

*resists urge to edit document to have my apgsearch link instead of the normal one*
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Currently looking for help searching these rules.

F_rank

Post by F_rank » April 30th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I have been looking at this tutorial, and added a few comments. Great start!

If you think it would be helpful to add a section on how to get Linux going under Windows 10 without resorting to Cygwin, if only to run apgluxe, I am happy to have a try at it.

apgluxe compiles and runs fine both under Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine (VM) on a Windows PC, as well as (under Windows 10) the new WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) after a bit of update/upgrade of packages. I cannot judge whether this is of interest or not. It is certainly not very complicated to get apgluxe running.

Frank

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » April 30th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Cygwin is easier I think.
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Currently looking for help searching these rules.

cordership3

Post by cordership3 » May 1st, 2018, 12:09 pm

I'll get to looking at that. But like majestas said, it might be easier to setup in cygwin instead.
evil twin of cordership2

F_rank

Post by F_rank » May 10th, 2018, 8:15 pm

My motivation to look into Ubuntu (within a Virtual Machine) and/or WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) was the fact that apgluxe ran extremely slow unter CygWin, much slower than the number of soups per second that Adam was suggesting. Maybe there is an easy fix to that (that I did not know), but for me the next logical step was to look into other ways to get Linux running on my Windows PC.

I'd also be interested to know if anybody has apgluxe running in the Visual Studio C++ (Windows) environment.

-F

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » May 11th, 2018, 12:21 am

F_rank wrote:My motivation to look into Ubuntu (within a Virtual Machine) and/or WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) was the fact that apgluxe ran extremely slow unter CygWin, much slower than the number of soups per second that Adam was suggesting. Maybe there is an easy fix to that (that I did not know), but for me the next logical step was to look into other ways to get Linux running on my Windows PC.
I think this is a great idea, though it's unfortunate that it's limited in usability to those running Win10. Personally if I had a Win10 machine I'd prefer to use WSL rather than cygwin, but I'll admit that I have a gratuitous dislike of cygwin. As another alternative to cygwin the mingw-64 environment is worth looking into. It provides a mostly POSIX compliant environment with a native gcc compiler in a Windows environment. It therefore does not have a compatibility layer like that provided by cygwin which can slow certain operations down. I have no idea what the compatibility with asm code between gcc on Linux and gcc in mingw-64 is like though, and there are two different threading support options provided. The "posix" option in the installer provides the best compatibility by using the winpthreads library for threading.
F_rank wrote:I'd also be interested to know if anybody has apgluxe running in the Visual Studio C++ (Windows) environment.
I did look at this but the cl compiler provided by MSVC uses a different inline asm syntax so changes to the apgluxe code would be required
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.