Game of Life computer without metapixels?

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
somebody

Game of Life computer without metapixels?

Post by somebody » September 13th, 2017, 11:26 pm

Yes, I mean computer not turing machine - i.e. it has input and output. Tetris has finally (probably) been made in GoL, but I'm wondering if metapixels are really the best way to go about this. Would it be possible to make it more compact using e.g. glider tapes for RAM/ROM and glider gates for the logic? (I'm not too sure about the display though)

As you can see from the website, the goal is smallest bounding box so it doesn't have to be hashlife friendly, although a hashlife-friendly pattern without metapixels (or at least with smaller metapixels - I have no idea how to go about this) would be appreciated as well.

dvgrn

Re: Game of Life computer without metapixels?

Post by dvgrn » September 14th, 2017, 5:37 am

somebody wrote:Yes, I mean computer not turing machine - i.e. it has input and output. Tetris has finally (probably) been made in GoL, but I'm wondering if metapixels are really the best way to go about this. Would it be possible to make it more compact using e.g. glider tapes for RAM/ROM and glider gates for the logic? (I'm not too sure about the display though)
There's a thread from earlier this year with some discussion of this, though not a huge amount. Short answer is -- yes, the design could be made much more compact, fairly quickly, with drop-in replacements for one or more of the layers of abstraction.
somebody wrote:As you can see from the website, the goal is smallest bounding box so it doesn't have to be hashlife friendly, although a hashlife-friendly pattern without metapixels (or at least with smaller metapixels - I have no idea how to go about this) would be appreciated as well.
There's something about smaller Hashlife-friendly metapixels a little farther down in the same thread. It may not make a lot of sense if you don't know the terminology, though. Feel free to ask questions either there or here, if you want to dig in to the details.

A more direct answer to your subject-line question is Coban's 8-bit computer pattern.