Catagolue quota

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
muzik

Re: Catagolue quota

Post by muzik » August 6th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:Conway Life, the flamethrower! (OK, maybe not that one.)
Aren't the guns in Day and Night known as flamethrowers? Those cloud be put on merch, salvaging that idea.

Saka

Post by Saka » August 7th, 2017, 6:18 am

Apple Bottom wrote: I can't quite tell if you're being sarcastic there, but indeed, why not plushies -- why not other merchandising? Conway Life, the t-shirt! Conway Life, the coloring book! Conway Life, the lunch box! Conway Life, the breakfast cereal! Conway Life, the flamethrower! (OK, maybe not that one.) And last but not least, Conway Life, the doll... that being good ol' John Horton himself, of course.
I'm not being sarcastic with the LTL plushies, for example, look at the Bug in range 50 that Dean Hickerson has found. T-Shirts and Lunch boxes sound good. Not sure about the coloring book and breakfast cereal though. The only color you'll need is black and the breakfast cereal would be weird. What flavor would they be? What about figurines? Maybe someone can 3D-Print some gliders or something.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 7th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Saka wrote:I'm not being sarcastic with the LTL plushies, for example, look at the Bug in range 50 that Dean Hickerson has found.
OK -- it can be difficult to tell in a text-only medium.
T-Shirts and Lunch boxes sound good. Not sure about the coloring book and breakfast cereal though. The only color you'll need is black and the breakfast cereal would be weird. What flavor would they be? What about figurines? Maybe someone can 3D-Print some gliders or something.
Those were actually just quotes from the Spaceballs scene, not serious suggestions... but t-shirts would indeed work. I could also see ties with e.g. a pentadecathlon on them; they'd make a good gift for the mathematician in your family.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

muzik

Post by muzik » August 7th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Imagine one of those hologram type things that change whenever you turn them.ese would work excellent for p2 oscillators.

Saka

Post by Saka » August 7th, 2017, 7:40 pm

muzik wrote:Imagine one of those hologram type things that change whenever you turn them.(th)ese would work excellent for p2 oscillators.
I believe you can order custom ones only with multiple frames!

Hats, underwear, pants, shoes, glasses, phone cases, socks, notebooks...

toroidalet

I feel like we're drifting off-topic here.

Post by toroidalet » August 7th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Saka wrote:Hats, underwear, pants, shoes, glasses, phone cases, socks, notebooks...
Here's a nice shirt design. Note that the world's best font is used.
This is just a prototype. Feel free to suggest improvements.
This is just a prototype. Feel free to suggest improvements.
Unknown-1.png (23.53 KiB) Viewed 13110 times
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

Apple Bottom

Re: I feel like we're drifting off-topic here.

Post by Apple Bottom » August 8th, 2017, 2:59 pm

toroidalet wrote:Here's a nice shirt design.
Nice -- I like how you used the heart there.

Getting back ON topic, Catagolue was over quota again yesterday; my last successful haul submission for D8_1 was at 5:05pm PDT, so the site was unreachable for about 7 hours.

I'd like to propose a "gentlemen's agreement to not break Catagolue" again. Let's cut down on non-standard rules a bit, especially productive ones with a lot of different objects.

Also keep in mind that even when the site isn't over quota, how much load there is determines how much Calcyman has to pay for it each day. It shouldn't be (close to) the maximum amount all the time.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

drc

Post by drc » August 22nd, 2017, 7:41 pm

Looks like it's over quota again.

Rhombic

Post by Rhombic » August 23rd, 2017, 1:12 pm

drc wrote:Looks like it's over quota again.
LtL rules tend to take up quite a bit of memory per haul.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 23rd, 2017, 1:52 pm

Rhombic wrote:LtL rules tend to take up quite a bit of memory per haul.
And it probably didn't help that I got excited at the opportunity to be able to search 2x128 and 4x64 soups for Day & Night... mea culpa! ;)

EDIT: down again (and just when I'm ironing out some bugs in the browser extension); it wasn't me this time.

drc

Post by drc » August 30th, 2017, 7:01 pm

So, is it okay to search B2-ac3i4a/S12 (C1 and D4_+2)? The hauls there take up quite a bit of memory, but I'm currently testing out a single 250000 haul to see if I can get away with increasing it to 1000000. Only using one searcher currently (although if I ever decide to search D4_+2 again (which I probably won't seeing as it tends to overheat my computer when it bumps into that one high period siderake) I'll use two)

I mean, it's probably nowhere near Day & Night-sized hauls, but they are pretty big and I don't want to be selfish.

I feel like it might be selfish anyway considering it's a rule that seems to only appeal to me.

hedgepiggy

Post by hedgepiggy » September 6th, 2017, 12:36 am

I know it's easy for me to say since I'm not footing the bill for it, but making users pay to contribute to a site seems a bit ridiculous, especially considering that they probably don't know you're also paying for it.

How hard/how much work would it be to separate B3/S23 from custom rules (in the form of two sites), so the custom rules site doesn't interfere with the original? If it helps, you could add ads to the custom rules site to offset costs incurred.

This is somewhat adjunct, but as a new user, I had no idea what was considered best practice for submitting hauls, and had no idea that random rules could create so much trouble. Perhaps it would suffice in many cases to simply put a notice on the webpage asking users to follow certain guidelines? It wasn't until I browsed this forum that I learned that submitting hauls of 5 million soups for B3/S23 every 10 minutes was bad.

Saka

Post by Saka » September 6th, 2017, 5:04 am

hedgepiggy wrote:I know it's easy for me to say since I'm not footing the bill for it, but making users pay to contribute to a site seems a bit ridiculous, especially considering that they probably don't know you're also paying for it.

How hard/how much work would it be to separate B3/S23 from custom rules (in the form of two sites), so the custom rules site doesn't interfere with the original? If it helps, you could add ads to the custom rules site to offset costs incurred.

This is somewhat adjunct, but as a new user, I had no idea what was considered best practice for submitting hauls, and had no idea that random rules could create so much trouble. Perhaps it would suffice in many cases to simply put a notice on the webpage asking users to follow certain guidelines? It wasn't until I browsed this forum that I learned that submitting hauls of 5 million soups for B3/S23 every 10 minutes was bad.
Hello and welcome to the site and to the great, vast, realm of CA! If you would like to know how to contribute more, try visiting the Tutorials page.

Yes, it seems that Calcyman (The founder of Catagolue) has ruled out paying for contributing hauls.

I am not sure that splitting is a good idea because if you have an individual site for B3/S23, then it would be highly "unbalanced". B3/S23 is only one rule, but there are like thousands of other rules also being investigated. See the List of rules investigated on Catagolue on the wiki.

That is a nice idea. The Quota-O-Metre™* is yet to be implimented but we could also put some guideline banners that say something like
Welcome to Catagolue!! Please follow these guidelines....
On the Catgolue page or even when starting the program.

*I'm not british but I like to write metre instead of meter for no reason.

Another idea I have is to limit each person's daily contributions to other rules to, say, 100 MB or something.

drc

Post by drc » September 13th, 2017, 9:36 pm

I noticed Moth-Wingthane has been uploading a haul of b35s3 every 3-4 minutes, could this be wearing catagolue down?

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » September 14th, 2017, 5:37 am

drc wrote:I noticed Moth-Wingthane has been uploading a haul of b35s3 every 3-4 minutes, could this be wearing catagolue down?
Thanks for the pointer -- I'll ask 'em to use larger hauls.

Moth-Wingthane

Post by Moth-Wingthane » September 14th, 2017, 9:29 am

Whoops, sorry if I caused a problem there. I've increased the hauls by ten, so it should upload now every 30 minutes, approximately.

calcyman

GoL merchandise

Post by calcyman » July 8th, 2018, 1:09 pm

toroidalet wrote:
Saka wrote:Hats, underwear, pants, shoes, glasses, phone cases, socks, notebooks...
Here's a nice shirt design. Note that the world's best font is used.
Unknown-1.png
I approve. In a similar vein, Tom Rokicki created a set of Golly T-shirts.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

dani

Post by dani » July 8th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Where are they for sale, I'll buy one

gmc_nxtman

Post by gmc_nxtman » July 8th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Same here. I'm excited

petersh

Post by petersh » July 23rd, 2018, 5:04 am

Yes, I think growing the quota is a good benefit for the community.
But they also have to consider other factors before can do it