Energy Use.

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Moth-Wingthane

Energy Use.

Post by Moth-Wingthane » August 28th, 2016, 8:13 am

I would like to add more processing power to my Soup Kitchen, but I'm concerned about the ever increasing cost of my energy bills. (The heat these machines are pumping out is beginning to become a problem too). What options exist to run the soup searcher on less energy hungry hardware?

FlameandFury

Re: Energy Use.

Post by FlameandFury » August 28th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Edit: I'm really sorry I misunderstood your intention. There have been waaay too many "UK Kitchen Improvement" spambots with websites like that in their signature, but they don't post :/
Last edited by FlameandFury on August 28th, 2016, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what is sesame oil?

gmc_nxtman

Post by gmc_nxtman » August 28th, 2016, 4:10 pm

FlameandFury wrote:MODS: PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD ASAP
Why?

muzik

Post by muzik » August 28th, 2016, 4:22 pm

"Hey, I want to search soups in CGOL-"

REPORTED, THREAD DELETED, DOOR BROKEN DOWN BY POLICE, SENTENCED TO DEATH, FOREVER ABUSED BY SATAN IN HELL

(looks like it is indeed about searching soups and not spam)

Moth-Wingthane

Post by Moth-Wingthane » August 28th, 2016, 5:45 pm

FlameandFury wrote:Edit: I'm really sorry I misunderstood your intention. There have been waaay too many "UK Kitchen Improvement" spambots with websites like that in their signature, but they don't post :/
hehe No worries. It didn't occur to me when I posted the thread title. I'll make it look less generic in future :D

Moth-Wingthane

Post by Moth-Wingthane » August 28th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Would the old Python script work on Golly running on a Pi? I gave it a try but couldn't get it to accept the libpython version number. Not sure if that's the script failing on that system or me not finding the correct version number (2.7.9 as far as I could tell).

FlameandFury

Post by FlameandFury » August 28th, 2016, 10:22 pm

32 or 64 bit golly/python/computer?
what is sesame oil?

Moth-Wingthane

Post by Moth-Wingthane » August 29th, 2016, 6:53 am

It's 32bit.

I assumed that the Python scripts would work on any system that can run Python 2.6 but I could be wrong? I really don't know enough about coding to answer that one myself :) If it's not going to work, fine, but it's a shame as I have several old PCs that could be pressed into service.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » August 29th, 2016, 9:51 am

Moth-Wingthane wrote:It's 32bit.

I assumed that the Python scripts would work on any system that can run Python 2.6 but I could be wrong? I really don't know enough about coding to answer that one myself :) If it's not going to work, fine, but it's a shame as I have several old PCs that could be pressed into service.
The v2.x and 3.x versions of apgsearch only run on x86_64 machines -- so are unfortunately incompatible with the ARM-based Raspberry Pi. I imagine that 1.x should be completely cross-platform; if not, I suggest discussing this with Andrew or Tom...?
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » August 29th, 2016, 10:08 am

Moth-Wingthane wrote:It's 32bit.

I assumed that the Python scripts would work on any system that can run Python 2.6 but I could be wrong?
Seems to me that it should be possible to make it work, but you have to be able to run Golly, too, of course -- can't just run apgsearch as a standalone Python script. Apgsearch 1.x uses Golly's RuleLoader algorithm to run soups to completion quickly and remove common objects.

(Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here; sometimes it turns out to be really useful to double-check basic assumptions...!)

So the first test is whether you can get Golly to run any of its scripts.

Install 32-bit Golly;
install some version of Python, 2.7.x
(there were some problems with 2.7.11, but 2.7.12 seems to be fine for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems);
open Golly and try out, say, bricklayer.py in the Scripts/Python folder;
if there are no errors, try File > Run Script and choose your apgsearch 1.x script.

Moth-Wingthane

Post by Moth-Wingthane » August 29th, 2016, 2:31 pm

calcyman wrote: The v2.x and 3.x versions of apgsearch only run on x86_64 machines -- so are unfortunately incompatible with the ARM-based Raspberry Pi. I imagine that 1.x should be completely cross-platform; if not, I suggest discussing this with Andrew or Tom...?
I should have specified but I did mean just the v1 scripts. Perhaps the issue of needing Python 2.6 is just for Windows. I guess I need to do some more testing :)

Moth-Wingthane

Post by Moth-Wingthane » August 29th, 2016, 7:38 pm

I appear to have everything needed in place now, but running the script gives me a dialogue asking for the name of the Python library. I remember when I did this before, I just used "python26" and it worked. Doing that for 2.7 doesn't. Any idea what the filename is for this? I can't seem to find anything suitable.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » August 29th, 2016, 9:17 pm

Moth-Wingthane wrote:I appear to have everything needed in place now, but running the script gives me a dialogue asking for the name of the Python library. I remember when I did this before, I just used "python26" and it worked. Doing that for 2.7 doesn't. Any idea what the filename is for this? I can't seem to find anything suitable.
"python27" would be right, if everything were the right version -- but then you wouldn't need to type anything in. I wasn't quite clear in my last message, to be sure to download and install 32-bit Python if you've downloaded 32-bit Golly. If 64-bit is an option, try 64-bit Python 2.7.12 with 64-bit Golly. Most of these cases seem to get resolved, once people look closely at version numbers.

There might sometimes be problems with multiple versions of Python installed on the same machine... but I've tried that and not seen any difficulties along these lines. Not sure what else to suggest.