Catagolue Oddities

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
drc

Catagolue Oddities

Post by drc » May 27th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Gameoflifeboy introduced me to a few weird things on catagolue, which I've combined with my own findings here:

• There used to be several still life categories in (like xs5) for which no objects existed. Instead of just displaying a normal error, it would show this, but they fixed it after I asked about it, so this is just a mock-up. [drc]

• Category z, which was a typo for zz, as seen in a few rules like b2i3678s34678. This was fixed in newer versions, but still remains. [apple bottom]

Typo symmetries. [gameoflifeboy]

• If you go to any object categories from here or here, you will find they don't work. This is because of the percent symbol, and can be fixed by appending "25" after the percent sign of the object page. [drc]

• Although they have been moved, there are still C1 sample soups for LINEAR and PATHOLOGICAL. [drc]

• Broken snake game here. [gameoflifeboy]

Linear growth that is just a GPSE with a little debris caused by a glider collision. [gameoflifeboy]

Linear growth pattern haul, because catagolue didn't report them [gameoflifeboy]

• Weird catagories of hauls, 1 (red-orange), 4 (red), and 6 (blue) [drc]

• The zz_LINEAR is displayed on Adam's discovery page, along with the actual object category. [drc]

• Although technically not an oddity, APG is Adam's initials, although he says it stands for "Ash Pattern Generator" [drc]

Apparently linear growths can contain minus signs. [muzik]

• Objects can have multiple b/s conditions, as seen here [muzik]

• Objects can have b9 and s9, as seen here [muzik]

• B/s conditions can be out of order, as seen here [drc]

xp0 exists. [a for awesome]

xp-1 gives a 500 server error.

• Adding letters v-z and 0 just right still retains the apgcode, as seen here [drc]

• Any pattern that doesn't fit into a named category is regarded as... a pattern
Last edited by drc on May 27th, 2016, 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

muzik

Re: Catagolue Oddities

Post by muzik » May 27th, 2016, 6:22 pm

drc

Post by drc » May 27th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Great! I'll add those to the master list. I'll also add the people who found them!

I remember posting that 2323322322323332 thing though.

praosylen

Post by praosylen » May 27th, 2016, 7:10 pm

former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

biggiemac

Post by biggiemac » May 27th, 2016, 8:33 pm

Much of this is just autogenerated from the URL input in a way one would hope, so it can hardly be said to be "on catagolue." Examples are putting nonstandard strings as the symmetry, the b/s, the apgcode. It might be worth addressing the hashsoup, which I agree parses very nonintuitively. It is nice that xp0 makes no checks on the behavior of the pattern, so it could be used to verify for a given apgcode that you're encoding the right pattern. I guess for a full public release one should make sure nobody could do damage by messing around with the URLs, but really if you are messing around with the URL to get to strange pages you shouldn't think it's bad when something harmlessly funny shows up.

The oddities are when there is an associated database entry for the autogenerated page, that you wouldn't expect. This includes comments on pages that shouldn't exist (like the "Any random thing can be an apgcode, apparently" page), hauls submitted to rule/symmetry combinations that are flawed (like the D4 +4 with no underscore or my 25% and 75% hauls), Adam's switch engine haul for compensating the (version 2.3?) snafu. It might be important to disable comments on pages without patterns, to prevent some bot from generating all possible xp0 pages and leaving a comment on each to flood the database with nodes. But then discussion on objects like the loafer wouldn't be possible.

The puffer notation issue is a tough one. The minus sign is a consequence of the method used to determine uniqueness. I don't think the puffer notation is very illuminating, at least all I understand is yl[period of growth]. The following two values don't make sense, and then I think what follows is an apgcode but I'm not sure. I don't believe there are plans to change it, but it could be nice to make it more understandable. Plus it is concerning that the protocol wasn't quite robust enough to handle a rogue glider in the GSPE + debris pattern, and also that it labelled the zz_LINEAR as it did.
Physics: sophistication from simplicity.

muzik

Post by muzik » May 28th, 2016, 3:54 am

drc wrote:I remember posting that 2323322322323332 thing though.
Pretty sure you did it in response to someone posting the 9 one. It think it was A for awesome but I could be wrong

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » June 4th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Another oddity...

b36is2-i3eiq4ay has a "C1-2016-04-05-2016-04-05" symmetry. This one looks like a census backup, and in fact displays a message to this effect, but it is listed on the rule's list of symmetries. What this ultimately means only Calcyman knows.
drc wrote:• Weird catagories of hauls, 1 (red-orange), 4 (red), and 6 (blue) [drc]
To the best of my knowledge, 1 means "verified, but not yet uncommitted to the census", and 4 means "rejected" (failed chi-square test, or possibly some other check).

I don't know what 6 is. Rules other than Conway Life also have 3 and 5, and possibly other states still that I haven't seen.
biggiemac wrote:The puffer notation issue is a tough one. The minus sign is a consequence of the method used to determine uniqueness. I don't think the puffer notation is very illuminating, at least all I understand is yl[period of growth]. The following two values don't make sense, and then I think what follows is an apgcode but I'm not sure. I don't believe there are plans to change it, but it could be nice to make it more understandable. Plus it is concerning that the protocol wasn't quite robust enough to handle a rogue glider in the GSPE + debris pattern, and also that it labelled the zz_LINEAR as it did.
The second number in a yl code is another period, and the third number is a "moment", as returned by deepperiod(). In fact deepperiod() returns several moments, but for reasons I do not understand the second and third are not given verbatim; instead they're joined with a hash sign, and the MD5 of the resulting string is then used.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

gameoflifeboy

Post by gameoflifeboy » June 4th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Well, there were a few more interesting things about Catagolue that I didn't post, but now that there's a thread for these, I guess I can post them here.
  • There is a way to run any pattern for up to 100 generations. Just replace "100" in the URL with the number of generations you want, "b3s23" with the rule, and "172" with an encoding of the pattern. If it is a spaceship that repeats itself in less than or equal to the given number of generations, it will render as a spaceship without having to enter xq. This gives some hints as to how apgcodes are parsed into SVGs.
    WARNING: The SVG seems to run best on Chrome.
  • As a matter of fact, there are pages for objects be bigger than 40 by 40: http://catagolue.appspot.com/object/xp2 ... 4ehr/b3s23 In fact, I once saw Calcyman mention that he was thinking of increasing the maximum bounding box of parsed objects in apgsearch.
  • Not entering a rulestring in /hashsoup after the soup seed prints a rule-neutral version of the soup, with periods as off cells and asterisks as on cells. Back in early Catagolue history, this was the way the sample soups were linked from the object page: http://catagolue.appspot.com/hashsoup/D ... pTi4539278
  • Some comments can break the page.
  • All different "symmetries" have different colored sample soups, even those that were errors. This suggests that the color is made by taking a function on the name of the symmetry, except for C1 which gets black. Here is the list of symmetries and the colors their soups get:

Code: Select all

C1 #000000
    D4 +4 #d32f3f
    25pct: #a8b75d
    8x32: #6d0ecf
    C2_1: #f83e05
    C2_2: #31a6d8
    C2_4: #aceb02
    D2_+1: #39bab9
    D2_+2: #747d16
    D2_x: #fb71fe
    C4_1: #d085ff
    C4_4: #cd14a0
    D4_+1 #f6b2b6
    D4_+2: #f8e612
    D4_+4: #cfc20e
    D4_x1: #ae360f
    D4_x4: #3e5b59
    D8_1: #ed65b6
    D8_4: #a621fb

muzik wrote:Minus-containing puffer: http://catagolue.appspot.com/object/yl1 ... 3dd/b38s23
I pointed this out on page 13 of the apgsearch v1.0 thread; did you get this from there?

drc

Post by drc » June 5th, 2016, 1:20 am

It's also possible to nest HTML tags,
Also, putting an iframe tag can disable comments.
You should only test this on obscure object pages though,

blah

Post by blah » June 19th, 2016, 7:55 am

There's no data sanitation in the comments section. Fun.
Edit: just to clarify, I did that.
Last edited by blah on June 19th, 2016, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
succ

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » June 19th, 2016, 8:35 am

blah wrote:There's no data sanitation in the comments section. Fun.
Ouch, that's bad. Have you let Calcyman know? The above is just harmless fun (mostly), but this definitely needs to be fixed.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

calcyman

Post by calcyman » June 19th, 2016, 8:43 am

Why is this even happening? I expected pegdown would by default sanitise any instances of < and > to gt and lt:

https://github.com/sirthias/pegdown/

I think I need to use the 'INLINE HTML SUPPRESSION' and 'HTML BLOCK SUPPRESSION' flags.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

calcyman

Post by calcyman » June 20th, 2016, 6:34 am

calcyman wrote:Why is this even happening? I expected pegdown would by default sanitise any instances of < and > to gt and lt:

https://github.com/sirthias/pegdown/

I think I need to use the 'INLINE HTML SUPPRESSION' and 'HTML BLOCK SUPPRESSION' flags.
Fixed.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

blah

Post by blah » June 20th, 2016, 6:50 am

calcyman wrote: Fixed.
Kind of. It actually seems to remove html tags, rather than sanitise them. Like, it doesn't even say "<h1>blah</h1>", it just says "blah". You can't see what my original comments on that page were.

Maybe that's good enough for you, I guess that's all that matters.
succ

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » June 25th, 2016, 4:34 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:Another oddity...

b36is2-i3eiq4ay has a "C1-2016-04-05-2016-04-05" symmetry. This one looks like a census backup, and in fact displays a message to this effect, but it is listed on the rule's list of symmetries. What this ultimately means only Calcyman knows.
In the same vein, b368s245 has a D4 symmetry. What kind of D4, I hear you ask? Judging by a sample sample soup it's actually C1 in disguise.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » December 4th, 2016, 6:02 am

Nobody noticed those ads in this page?

Saka

Post by Saka » December 5th, 2016, 3:55 am

xq0 and yl0 exist, but xs0 does not.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » December 5th, 2016, 6:05 am

Saka wrote:xq0 and yl0 exist, but xs0 does not.
Where do those exist?

Saka

Post by Saka » December 6th, 2016, 3:08 am

Apple Bottom wrote:
Saka wrote:xq0 and yl0 exist, but xs0 does not.
Where do those exist?
Put them in the objects page with any random string after the _
(e.g. xq0_foobar)

Rhombic

Post by Rhombic » December 8th, 2016, 6:45 am

This one is rather worrying.
http://catagolue.appspot.com/census/b2- ... s2a3-i4/C1

If you check the xp2 list, xp2_7 and xp2_5 are listed separately in spite of being the two phases of the same oscillator.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

praosylen

Post by praosylen » December 8th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Rhombic wrote:This one is rather worrying.
http://catagolue.appspot.com/census/b2- ... s2a3-i4/C1

If you check the xp2 list, xp2_7 and xp2_5 are listed separately in spite of being the two phases of the same oscillator.
Yes, I know. This is due to the assumption of the ExpungeObjects rule that the blinker functions normally, which it does in all outer-totalistic rules. I will hopefully be able to fix this (and other issues) soon, as I will finally have a computer that is able to run Golly again (hopefully) by next month.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

drc

Post by drc » December 18th, 2016, 11:57 am

Two new ~20x20 c/3 and 2c/5 spaceships have occured...30000 times in total...in a symmetry called "Saka_Test"

EDIT:

On 2016-12-18 at 13:10:25 UTC, Someone wrote:

Sorry guys (This is a test with a hacked apgsearch)

On 2016-12-18 at 13:40:19 UTC, Someone wrote:

Sorry
Welp. Still a bit of an oddity I guess.

Saka

Post by Saka » December 18th, 2016, 8:15 pm

drc wrote:Two new ~20x20 c/3 and 2c/5 spaceships have occured...30000 times in total...in a symmetry called "Saka_Test"

EDIT:

On 2016-12-18 at 13:10:25 UTC, Someone wrote:

Sorry guys (This is a test with a hacked apgsearch)

On 2016-12-18 at 13:40:19 UTC, Someone wrote:

Sorry
Welp. Still a bit of an oddity I guess.
:wink:

yootaa

Post by yootaa » December 20th, 2016, 5:19 am

Saka

Post by Saka » December 20th, 2016, 5:46 am

Hmm yes it's missing the top right quarter