How about a GitHub blog?

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Scorbie

How about a GitHub blog?

Post by Scorbie » December 27th, 2015, 11:21 am

Well... Many of the Life blogs are now unmaintained right now, so I thought it is a good idea to make a Github blog on Life. It's different from other blogs in that...
  • Everyone can send new articles via git push.
  • The maintainer can change if one became too busy.
On the other hand it may be better to accept reader articles from b3s23life. Making a bigger mess is the least I hope for. https://xkcd.com/927/

I am curious on how you guys think.

dvgrn

Re: How about a GitHub blog?

Post by dvgrn » December 27th, 2015, 1:03 pm

Scorbie wrote:Well... Many of the Life blogs are now unmaintained right now, so I thought it is a good idea to make a Github blog on Life...
I am curious on how you guys think.
Seems like a fine idea. I don't use the b3s23life blog very often these days, though I have been regularly updating the slow-salvo construction posting as new methods and uses appear. But that blog was always kind of specific to my own idiosyncratic and usually oversized projects, at least until 2012 when Calcyman and I thought about repurposing it, because we temporarily thought that LifeNews was offline for good.

The LifeNews blog on pentadecathlon.com worked reasonably well for a while, but it never had more than three contributors. It would be nice to have a larger group of writers, to give a better chance of keeping up with new developments.

Without some kind of moderation, the unwelcome spectre of notability will probably pop up at some point. But I think it's fine to worry about burning that bridge when we come to it.

Scorbie

Re: How about a GitHub blog?

Post by Scorbie » December 27th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Hmm... OK. I think it is a good idea to use the ConwayLife account as the Github news blog. (i.e. conwaylife.github.io or conwaylife.github.io/news)
The thing is... that I am going to get busy from next month, so I don't think I can maintain it.
I hope somebody would revisit this topic when he/she's interested in the idea.