Post Linking Help!

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
triller

Post Linking Help!

Post by triller » August 2nd, 2015, 10:17 am

I'm not a strong HTML guy, but I've seen many posts that include a link to a previous post.
Is there a convenient method for setting up such a link?
triller
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
-- Isaac Asimov

gmc_nxtman

Re: Post Linking Help!

Post by gmc_nxtman » August 2nd, 2015, 10:23 am

You can set up a link to pretty much anywhere by using [ url ] and [ /url ]tags, without the spaces and placing the URL in between them. You can also disguise links by placing the following:

Code: Select all

[url=example.com]Linkdisguise[/url]

triller

Post by triller » August 2nd, 2015, 10:52 am

gmc_nxtman wrote:You can set up a link to pretty much anywhere by using [ url ] and [ /url ]tags, without the spaces and placing the URL in between them. You can also disguise links by placing the following:

[url=example.com]Linkdisguise[/url]
I'm guessing it would be helpful to be able to determine the URL of a specific post within a specific thread (within a specific forum page?).
triller
-- Isaac Asimov

biggiemac

Post by biggiemac » August 2nd, 2015, 1:39 pm

The url holds all that information in one-letter variables. To get f (forum page), t (thread), and p (post), just navigate there and observe what is being set. To have the page scroll to a specified post automatically, use the syntax #p(postnumber) at the end of the url. For example, if I really wanted to link someone to a post from the middle of the Waterbear construction effort I would search for the thread, observe the assignments (2, 1142, 14826), and type this

Verbatim:

[url=http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1142&p=14826#p14826]this[/url]
Physics: sophistication from simplicity.

triller

Post by triller » August 2nd, 2015, 1:53 pm

biggiemac wrote:...and type this

Verbatim:

[url=http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1142&p=14826#p14826]this[/url]
Now THAT is what I call specific.
Tanx biggiemac!
triller
-- Isaac Asimov

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » August 2nd, 2015, 2:47 pm

triller wrote:I'm guessing it would be helpful to be able to determine the URL of a specific post within a specific thread (within a specific forum page?).
That all happens more or less automatically. Just click on the title line of the post you want to link to and the browser will scroll to that post. Then copy the resulting URL out of the browser and paste it into the BBCode url tag, as previous posters have described.

A useful trick is that if you hit "Quote" to reply to another forum message -- even if you don't actually intend to post a response -- you'll see all the text from that posting, including the text of any BBCode tags. Then you can borrow whatever syntax you want. There are some BBCode tags that aren't advertised in the bar at the top of the Reply window, but they work fine -- e.g. size=150 and color=green. BBcode tags are quite different from HTML tags, actually -- square brackets instead of angle brackets, "url" instead of "a href", etc. It's much closer to Wikipedia markup syntax, but there's not a whole lot of overlap even there.

EDIT: While I'm on the subject, a similar hash-mark-means-named-section trick exists for the LifeWiki -- and everywhere else on the Web with multi-section documents, for that matter. For example, even if there isn't a separate link anywhere on the Pufferfish page specifically for that page's Synthesis section, you can still create the URL to jump directly to that section:

http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Pufferfish#Synthesis

triller

Post by triller » August 2nd, 2015, 3:13 pm

More good stuff!
Tanx Dave.
triller
-- Isaac Asimov