apgsearch v1.0

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Apple Bottom

Re: apgsearch v1.0

Post by Apple Bottom » December 7th, 2015, 12:38 pm

calcyman wrote:1. I have no idea. A haul can't exceed one megabyte in size, though.
Is there a way to have larger hauls committed manually, or submit them in chunks? I was investigating a rather productive rule (B45S1234/D8_1), and when I ended the search after ~400k soups the haul had already ballooned to about 3.5 MiB. (I could've sworn I asked for 100,000 soups - and yes, I edited the script to change the minimum first -, but maybe I mistyped. Hooves, wouldn't ya know.)

It would be a shame to see this haul go to waste.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

praosylen

Post by praosylen » December 15th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Could someone explain how the rules used in the censusing process work? I figured out CoalesceObjects, ClassifyObjects, and ExpungeObjects, but the rest (in particular ContagiousLife) are confusing to me.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

Extrementhusiast

Post by Extrementhusiast » December 16th, 2015, 3:22 pm

A for awesome wrote:Could someone explain how the rules used in the censusing process work? I figured out CoalesceObjects, ClassifyObjects, and ExpungeObjects, but the rest (in particular ContagiousLife) are confusing to me.
From what I can tell, ContagiousLife is used to separate objects from each other, but not in such a way that an unstable object remains. (e.g. a block on table will be registered as a block on table rather than as a table and block separately, as the table alone is not stable)
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » December 21st, 2015, 5:16 pm

I'm sure I'm just missing the bleedin' obvious, but I'm puzzled: this haul counts 1 PATHOLOGICAL object, but offers two (different) sample soups.

Shouldn't it be reporting 2 PATHOLOGICALs?
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Saka

Post by Saka » December 21st, 2015, 8:16 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:I'm sure I'm just missing the bleedin' obvious, but I'm puzzled: this haul counts 1 PATHOLOGICAL object, but offers two (different) sample soups.

Shouldn't it be reporting 2 PATHOLOGICALs?
Not sure what you mean, but I think that the same PATHOLOGICAL occured in two soups, but the strangest thing that it said 1 occurrence but displays 2 soups from the haul, I don't know what's going on though.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » December 21st, 2015, 9:54 pm

I think apgsearch does not distinguish between pathological objects. Even if you find two soups producing pathological objects A and B, it can't further label it with an apgcode, I think. And I think it's the same for the zz_LINEAR and zz_REPLICATOR objects, isn't it? Even if there are more than one replicator in a rule, apgsearch would not distinguish them.
A side effect of this is that on Catagolue, PATHOLOGICAL contains pathological objects with all rules.

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » December 21st, 2015, 11:12 pm

Scorbie is right - each soup with an unidentifiable pattern is scored separately with no attempt to compare them. I suspect apgsearch could report more pathological patterns than soups (though I haven't double checked to see if this is the case) but it shouldn't report more sample soups than the number of pathological patterns found. Strangely enough, most of the other 1000000 soup hauls don't have any soups detected as pathological, but this one has seven sample soups for a total of 5.
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » December 22nd, 2015, 7:19 am

All y'all raise good points, and I do apologize for the confusion.

What I meant was this: if a pathological object occurred twice, for two different soups, why is the total number of pathological objects reported by apgsearch one, rather than two?

This also happened in other hauls for this rule. This one counts one occurrence of a pathological object, but reports four sample soups. This one counts five occurrences but reports eight sample soups. And so on.

I can understand there not being a sample soup for every occurrence of an object, but if there's more soups than occurrences, then my hunch is that apgsearch isn't counting properly. But that can't really be, now can it? So what's going on here?

drc

Post by drc » January 10th, 2016, 4:33 pm

Whenever I enter a rule, it seems to revert to B3/S23
Edit: Closing and restarting fixes it, but still annoying.

drc

Post by drc » January 10th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Never mind, still happening. Shame

velcrorex

Post by velcrorex » January 10th, 2016, 5:29 pm

drc wrote:Whenever I enter a rule, it seems to revert to B3/S23.
When you run apgsearch it sometimes first does some work verifying some soups in B3/S23. Then after a short time it will start the work you asked it to. This could be what you're seeing.
-Josh Ball.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » April 15th, 2016, 6:18 am

I'm posting this here since there's no dedicated Catagolue thread (there isn't, is there?), and since it's not specifically about apg* 2.x or 3.x.

Certain links don't work and cause internal server errors, e.g. this haul link: https://catagolue.appspot.com/haul/b2-a ... e644c3ce9b

My uneducated guess is that the server code's running into a resource limit of some kind, and that this is due to the large number of high-period (xq40) spaceship flotillas in this rule that have to be rendered as animated SVGs.

muzik

Post by muzik » May 8th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Behold, one of the cringiest questions ever, from someone who's supposed to be good with computers:

How do I run this?

I've downloaded the latest version of Python and the apgsearch py file, and I have golly, but when I try to double click on the apgsearch py file it shows a black box for a fraction of a second before just vanishing for no reason.

Kazyan

Post by Kazyan » May 8th, 2016, 11:16 pm

muzik wrote:Behold, one of the cringiest questions ever, from someone who's supposed to be good with computers:

How do I run this?

I've downloaded the latest version of Python and the apgsearch py file, and I have golly, but when I try to double click on the apgsearch py file it shows a black box for a fraction of a second before just vanishing for no reason.
Add apgsearch.py to Golly's Scripts folder, then double-click the file from within Golly, instead of your file explorer.
Tanner Jacobi
Coldlander, a novel, available in paperback and as an ebook. Now on Amazon.

muzik

Post by muzik » May 9th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Kazyan wrote:Add apgsearch.py to Golly's Scripts folder, then double-click the file from within Golly, instead of your file explorer.
When I do this, and click on it, it just gives a dialog box "Could not load the Python library" and asks me to type in the file adress for python27.dll and even when I do, the same box just comes up again.

Tried both with python27.dll at the end and not.

Where exactly should the file be located? When I searched for it, I found it in system32, but I'm not sure if that's the correct file. Is there a way to generate one?

muzik

Post by muzik » May 10th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Just to say: I do indeed have both Python and Golly installed, and Python works pretty normally as I remember it. Golly also works pretty much perfectly (I have more experience with the mobile version and as such use it more) so there shouldn't really be this problem.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » May 10th, 2016, 12:08 pm

The most common problem when trying to run Python scripts in Golly occurs when the user has installed different bittages of Python and Golly. Can you ensure they're either both 64-bit or both 32-bit?
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

drc

Post by drc » May 10th, 2016, 1:28 pm

-
Last edited by drc on April 24th, 2022, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » May 10th, 2016, 1:48 pm

drc wrote:Did you update catagolue, because I just suddenly discovered about 15 objects today...
Yes, I want to be able to make Catagolue delete old b3s23/C1 hauls, but retain the ones that contain the first few instances of interesting objects. As a minor side-effect, all of the 'discoveries' sections have expanded.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

muzik

Post by muzik » May 10th, 2016, 1:54 pm

calcyman wrote:The most common problem when trying to run Python scripts in Golly occurs when the user has installed different bittages of Python and Golly. Can you ensure they're either both 64-bit or both 32-bit?
OH now I see. looks like I'm running 32 bit golly.

Where can I get the 64 bit version?

EDIT: Found it, let's see how this goes

EDIT2: YUY! It works! Just uploaded my pathetically small first haul for regular life. Now to test out some more rules.

EDIT3: Currently peppering B3/S12 with small hauls. Seems to be working fairly well. But how do you search non-Life like rules such as B2in3/S123a?

drc

Post by drc » May 10th, 2016, 3:45 pm

muzik wrote:But how do you search non-Life like rules such as B2in3/S123a?
Download an 'i' version of apgsearch here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1480&start=50

Kazyan

Post by Kazyan » May 10th, 2016, 9:59 pm

calcyman wrote:The most common problem when trying to run Python scripts in Golly occurs when the user has installed different bittages of Python and Golly. Can you ensure they're either both 64-bit or both 32-bit?
Ah, now, this is a much more helpful answer than what I was going to say, which was 'get a sorcerer to fix it and then never touch it again', as per my own experiences in making Python play nice with Golly.
Tanner Jacobi
Coldlander, a novel, available in paperback and as an ebook. Now on Amazon.

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » May 11th, 2016, 3:07 am

Kazyan wrote:I was going to say, which was 'get a sorcerer to fix it and then never touch it again', as per my own experiences in making Python play nice with Golly.
LOL. Who was the sorceror? Or am I getting it wrong?

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » May 11th, 2016, 11:13 am

calcyman wrote:Yes, I want to be able to make Catagolue delete old b3s23/C1 hauls, but retain the ones that contain the first few instances of interesting objects. As a minor side-effect, all of the 'discoveries' sections have expanded.
Clicking on your slice on the b3s23/C1 pie chart now raises an internal server error -- I've got a hunch that this is no coincidence, and that the site's is instead exceeding its maximum per-request execution time.

muzik

Post by muzik » May 11th, 2016, 11:26 am

Looks like my apgsearch glitched out and submitted a mutant Siamese twin haul:

I mean, not that that's a major problem or anything, just kinda interesting