Organization on GitHub

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
codeholic

Organization on GitHub

Post by codeholic » October 6th, 2014, 4:11 pm

I've created an organization on GitHub for hosting Game of Life-related scripts and tools.

I'm going to check in classic search programs there too, such as gencols, ptbsearch, gfind etc.

If you want to be part of the team, tell me your GitHub account.
Ivan Fomichev

codeholic

Re: Organization on GitHub

Post by codeholic » January 6th, 2015, 4:58 pm

I added a stub for the index page. Feel free to send pull requests for adding download links, links to personal pages and so on.

http://conwaylife.github.io/

Source code: https://github.com/conwaylife/conwaylife.github.io

I suggest to host binary files on Dropbox. Any other proposals?
Ivan Fomichev

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » January 7th, 2015, 5:53 am

codeholic wrote:I added a stub for the index page. Feel free to send pull requests for adding download links, links to personal pages and so on.
I'm pretty new to the web stuff. Could you elaborate what exactly I need to do? index is sort of "main" html page that I should edit after my pull? And what exactly do you want to see?

Say I want to make introduction to LifeAPI what is the best way to do it?

calcyman

Post by calcyman » January 8th, 2015, 5:44 pm

Say I want to make introduction to LifeAPI what is the best way to do it?
readme.markdown
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 18th, 2015, 9:34 am

I'd like to add Paul Chapman's Seeds of Destruction Game to this list. Here's the source code for the latest alpha. Extrementhusiast's "review" is a good source of requests for improvements.

It seems to me that with the addition of keyboard shortcuts to replace or extend some of the adjustments that now have to be made awkwardly with a mouse (especially with the mousewheel) this could turn into a surprisingly versatile and useful tool. Even in its current form I've been able to use it to find reburnable fuses, 31c/240 caterpillar construction recipes, and signal conversion mechanisms, among other things, as well as self-destruct circuitry.

The new function I wish for most often is a "scan" option: define some criterion for success, most commonly minimum population -- could generalize to M<=population<=N at time=T -- and select a small region to test exhaustively, placing each object in the current seed library in all possible orientations. For small areas this would be fairly quick (and entertaining to watch). It's basically what has to be done manually, as things stand, but it's very easy to miss good solutions.

Anyway, the first step would be to get a good standard version of the current alpha code checked in, if this is agreeable to everyone. My attempts to recompile Paul's source code have so far resulted in impressively mysterious compile errors. This is no doubt due to trivial mistakes on my part; I'm somewhat allergic to Java and have been mostly successful at avoiding it for many years now.

I'd be happy to work on gradual incremental improvements such as keyboard shortcuts, but could someone with more Java expertise maybe take care of a workable initial checkin on Github?

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » January 18th, 2015, 10:00 am

I wonder if someone is willing to make SOD in golly with python.

Seems to me a much more natural environment than separate java app, and I see no special reason why golly wouldn't handle it (we just need to have special rule).

In SOD itself some more functions can be added. like showing all the "non explosive" placements etc.