ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

CAcoin

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.

Re: CAcoin

Postby dvgrn » February 27th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Majestas32 wrote:I mean for rules with >100million or 10 billion objects we can easily algorithmically produce a rare patterns list

Yes, but maintaining a distributed rare patterns list for a large set of rules would quickly start to be a problem. The list would have to be copied and agreed on by all the nodes in the distributed network, and it would presumably have to be adjusted every time a new rare object was discovered.

Basically, people can talk about a multi-rule CACoin if they must, but until they go ahead and solve all the very detailed problems involved with supporting large numbers of rules, a LifeCoin restricted to plain B3/S23 searches seems much much more likely to actually get implemented.
dvgrn

Postby Majestas32 » February 27th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Yeah. I was thinking of having it automatically processed based on previous lifecoin/catagolue searches at every block but Hey calcyman is literally God so...
Please, stop spam searching Snowflakes.
Majestas32

Postby calcyman » June 17th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Majestas32 wrote:Yeah. I was thinking of having it automatically processed based on previous lifecoin/catagolue searches at every block but Hey calcyman is literally God so...

The approach I've settled upon is:

1. Initialise difficulties according to the output of Catagolue. This gives a good estimate for medium-rare objects (say, difficulty < 50000 or so), but is too noisy in the tails.
  2. When the difficulty target of the cryptocurrency first exceeds the difficulty (exactly 38347, as calculated in step 1) of xp15_4r4y14r4z4r4y14r4, update the difficulty estimates (in a precise way) of anything rarer than xp15_4r4y14r4z4r4y14r4.
  3. When the difficulty target of the cryptocurrency first exceeds the difficulty (calculated in step 2) of xq16_gcbgzvgg826frc, update the difficulty estimates (in the same manner) of anything rarer than xq16_gcbgzvgg826frc.
  4. When the difficulty target of the cryptocurrency first exceeds the difficulty (calculated in step 3) of xq7_3nw17862z6952, update the difficulty estimates (in the same manner) of anything rarer than xq7_3nw17862z6952.

If Step 2 ever happens, it would take about 15 times as much computational power as Catagolue's last peak (of roughly 10^12 objects per day). By this point, the initial segment of blockchain will have a more accurate estimate of difficulty than Catagolue ever did, having amassed an entire Catagolue-volume every 2 weeks.

As for Step 3, that would only happen when the total hashrate is about 10^15 objects per day, amassing a Catagolue-volume every 6 hours (!). I'm making the implicit assumption that several loafers will have emerged by this point, and that I can therefore use that as the standard for Step 4. Not that we're ever likely to need to invoke Step 4, as that would only occur when we're producing loafers-or-beyond every 10 minutes!
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
calcyman

Postby dvgrn » September 3rd, 2018, 12:23 pm

testitemqlstudop wrote:How about search for a pattern that stabilizes in at least D generations where D is the difficulty?

[Deleted another post to get rid of the toxic sig line.]
dvgrn

Postby KittyTac » September 3rd, 2018, 12:38 pm

Don't use Aidan Mode in sigs.
KittyTac

Postby cordership3 » September 9th, 2018, 8:23 pm

@calcyman: What is the current progress on the CACoin implementation? I know a lot of progress has been made since you last posted about the proof-of-work system, but the lifecoin branch is already available for use and there seems to be nothing different about it.
All hail WADUFI our king.
cordership3

Postby calcyman » September 10th, 2018, 7:29 am

cordership3 wrote:@calcyman: What is the current progress on the CACoin implementation? I know a lot of progress has been made since you last posted about the proof-of-work system, but the lifecoin branch is already available for use and there seems to be nothing different about it.

To summarise:

Digital signatures/addresses: implemented
Proof-of-work system: implemented
Blockchain headers: implemented
Difficulty calculations: implemented
Networking: not yet implemented
Transactions: not yet implemented

Once the networking is implemented, we'll have a usable decentralised blockchain (and online mining will become possible), but it won't be a currency until there's support for transactions.

I tested offline mining (and mined the first 100 blocks in a day, saving them to disk) a while ago and tested the output against an independent Python 3 script to ensure the cryptographic primitives have been correctly implemented. I haven't mined any more blocks since that day, because I don't want too much of a headstart.
calcyman

Postby calcyman » October 22nd, 2018, 9:43 am

honglei (now banned for Sri Lanka travel-visa spam in sig line) wrote:Well considering that long time search is actually translated into a value of a coin, I think most search time in GOL went into spaceships search. So having some new p7 and higher period spaceships could be considered as a cryptocoin.

That may have been the case when simsim314 originally wrote the paragraph you've just shamelessly plagiarised, but now it's been far surpassed by the (estimated) 3 million CPU-hours that have gone into Catagolue.
Last edited by dvgrn on October 22nd, 2018, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarify why original post has disappeared...
calcyman

Postby 77topaz » October 22nd, 2018, 5:25 pm

Yeah, copying earlier posts in a thread to appear legitimate is a common tactic of those sig-line-advertising bots.
77topaz

Previous

Return to General Discussion