I have problems when building Golly

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
marioxcc

I have problems when building Golly

Post by marioxcc » June 13th, 2017, 3:31 pm

I am trying to build the latest Golly version in git (currently commit 86b66e2). I get the following error:

Code: Select all

$ make -j2 golly
g++ -DGOLLYDIR="/home/mario/install/golly/share/golly" -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing  -g -O2 -O2 -Wl,--as-needed  -o golly golly-wxalgos.o golly-wxcontrol.o golly-wxedit.o golly-wxfile.o golly-wxgolly.o golly-wxhelp.o golly-wxinfo.o golly-wxlayer.o golly-wxlua.o golly-wxmain.o golly-wxoverlay.o golly-wxperl.o golly-wxprefs.o golly-wxpython.o golly-wxrender.o golly-wxrule.o golly-wxscript.o golly-wxselect.o golly-wxstatus.o golly-wxtimeline.o golly-wxundo.o golly-wxutils.o golly-wxview.o -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -pthread   -lwx_gtk2u_gl-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_xrc-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_html-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_qa-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_adv-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_core-3.0 -lwx_baseu_xml-3.0 -lwx_baseu_net-3.0 -lwx_baseu-3.0  libgolly.a liblua.a  -lz 
/usr/bin/ld: golly-wxrender.o: undefined reference to symbol 'glColor4ub'
//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:1254: recipe for target 'golly' failed
make: *** [golly] Error 1
This could be solved specifying 'LIBS="-lGL -ldl"' as an environment variable before running "./configure". I think that this should not be needed, because those flags must be specified automatically by the build system. I have the same problem with the latest stable release (1.8). However, even with this procedure, I get the following error when running golly (either from the root of the source tree or from "gui-wx/configure") and the directory tree on the left bar is the contents of the current directory instead of "Rules".

Could not set current working directory (error 2: No such file or directory)
Also, running "make" without specifying a target, or "make install" from "gui-wx/configure" does not work and results in the following error:

make: *** No rule to make target '../../Help/Algorithms/Larger', needed by 'all-am'.  Stop.
Are these errors because of a problem with my system or are they Golly errors? If the first, what can I do to fix them? Thanks.

rowett

Re: I have problems when building Golly

Post by rowett » June 13th, 2017, 5:36 pm

marioxcc wrote:I am trying to build the latest Golly version in git (currently commit 86b66e2).
If you're building on Linux 64bit then I'd recommend you look at docs/Build.html in the Golly distro (if you haven't already). I've not used the "Building Golly using configure" method so can't comment on that but got it successfully working using the non-configure method.

marioxcc

Post by marioxcc » June 13th, 2017, 6:46 pm

I have already read "docs/Build.html". Trying to build with the plain Makefile (i.e.: not the configure method) gives even more obscure errors.

Is this the proper place to contact Golly developers about these problems?

P.S: Linux is a kernel. What I use is Debian, a distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » June 14th, 2017, 3:33 am

marioxcc wrote:I have already read "docs/Build.html". Trying to build with the plain Makefile (i.e.: not the configure method) gives even more obscure errors.
I'm surprised to hear that. I know very little about Linux but have managed to use makefile-gtk to build Golly on Debian, Mint and Ubuntu distributions.
Is this the proper place to contact Golly developers about these problems?
A better place would be the golly-test mailing list. Subscription details here:

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/golly-test

Golly's configure system is maintained by Maks Verver who I'm pretty sure doesn't visit these forums much, if ever.
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife

Andrew

Post by Andrew » June 14th, 2017, 7:55 pm

marioxcc wrote:

The golly executable has to be in the same directory as the Help/Patterns/Rules/Scripts folders.

make: *** No rule to make target '../../Help/Algorithms/Larger', needed by 'all-am'.  Stop.
It seems that the configure script doesn't like file names with spaces. I've just committed a change that should avoid this error.

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » June 14th, 2017, 9:02 pm

How do I do this?

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » June 14th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Well,

-Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Wno-potentially-evaluated-expression -c -o ObjOSX/wxutils.o wxutils.cpp
wxutils.cpp:25:10: fatal error: 'wx/wxprec.h' file not found
#include "wx/wxprec.h"     // for compilers that support precompilation
         ^
1 error generated.
I followed Build.html. Help!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » June 14th, 2017, 11:28 pm

fluffykitty wrote:I followed Build.html. Help!
What is your Mac OS version?
Which version of wxWidgets did you download?
What was the configure command you used to build the wx libraries?
Did you make a copy of makefile-mac called makefile?
Did you edit makefile and make the necessary changes to WX_DIR and WX_RELEASE?
If so, show me those changes.

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » June 15th, 2017, 11:39 am

3.0.3 (I changed the references to 3.0.2 at the top of the file)
../configure --with-osx_cocoa --disable-shared --enable-unicode --with-macosx-version-min=10.9 (the command for 10.9-10.12)
Yes
Yes
17-22:

OS_VERSION = $(shell sw_vers -productVersion | cut -f 2 -d '.')
osx_ge = $(shell if [ $(OS_VERSION) -ge $(1) ] ; then echo "$(2)"; else echo "$(3)"; fi ;)

WX_RELEASE = $(call osx_ge,12,"3.1","3.0")
WX_DIR = $(call osx_ge,12,"/HD/wxWidgets/wxWidgets-3.1.0","~/Downloads/wxWidgets-3.0.3")
WXLIB_DIR = $(WX_DIR)/build-osx

Andrew

Post by Andrew » June 15th, 2017, 6:17 pm

fluffykitty wrote:

WX_DIR = $(call osx_ge,12,"/HD/wxWidgets/wxWidgets-3.1.0","~/Downloads/wxWidgets-3.0.3")
WXLIB_DIR = $(WX_DIR)/build-osx
I'm pretty sure you can't use the tilde (~) in a makefile, so try changing that to /Users/yourhomename.

I'm also assuming the subdirectory you created in WX_DIR is called build-osx (ie. that's where you ran configure and make to build the wx libs -- and you did run make after running configure?).

marioxcc

Post by marioxcc » June 16th, 2017, 11:17 am

Andrew wrote:
marioxcc wrote:

The golly executable has to be in the same directory as the Help/Patterns/Rules/Scripts folders.
Apparently that is not enough: First I used configure, then I ran "make" and then I copied the executable file to the root of the source tree. When doing "./golly", I had the same error quoted above. I did "make install" and then ran golly again (not the installed instance, but directly from the source tree; that is, with "./golly") and the problem disappeared. There seems to be a target missing from "all" that builds the required files required by Golly.
Andrew wrote: It seems that the configure script doesn't like file names with spaces. I've just committed a change that should avoid this error.
Ok. That part seems to work fine now (commit 41f6059).

Thanks.