Golly's keyboard shortcuts page

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Scorbie

Golly's keyboard shortcuts page

Post by Scorbie » January 8th, 2016, 5:59 am

Well, it's nothing urgent but I really coudn't find a relevant thread here... So I just made a new thread :( Oh, well. (To moderatores: Please move this to an existing thread if you think there is a relevant one.)
I think the Golly Help > Keyboard Shortcuts Page is dynamically generated. This has a slight issue that the Keyboard Shortcuts link is dead if they are clicked outside of Golly. (i.e. From golly-directory/Help/index.html) Although it would technically be a bug, I think the issue is not that important. Just think it would be helpful to be aware of this...
And a related question: How is it generated? If I make an html page containing a link to golly-dir/Help/keyboard.html via a Golly script then would that Keyboard Shortcuts page be automatically generated by Golly?

Andrew

Re: Golly's keyboard shortcuts page

Post by Andrew » January 8th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Scorbie wrote:I think the Golly Help > Keyboard Shortcuts Page is dynamically generated.
Correct. It has to be done that way, given every user has a different set of shortcuts.
If I make an html page containing a link to golly-dir/Help/keyboard.html via a Golly script then would that Keyboard Shortcuts page be automatically generated by Golly?
Yes, but only if the link is simply "keyboard.html" (ie. no path prefix).

Golly will create keyboard.html in its temporary directory, so you can use golly.getdir("temp") to access that file from a script if you want to, but note that all files in that directory are deleted when Golly quits.
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife

Scorbie

Re: Golly's keyboard shortcuts page

Post by Scorbie » January 8th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Andrew wrote:...
Yes, but only if the link is simply "keyboard.html" (ie. no path prefix).
Aha!

Thanks for the info :)