Applet Additions

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
macweirdo

Applet Additions

Post by macweirdo » December 22nd, 2010, 11:12 am

Has anyone ever heard of the Chrome Web Store? It's at https://chrome.google.com/webstore, and I really think you should consider making the Life applet an app that runs in full screen.

Also, I think you should implement pasting in codes instead of having to save them as files and load them in the applet. That would be really useful.

Something else you could do is create a button on the code box (the one that looks

Code: Select all

like this
) that would set a cookie that the applet could then read and would transfer the code immediately into the code applet.

Axaj

Re: Applet Additions

Post by Axaj » December 22nd, 2010, 9:46 pm

Well, the life applet is really mostly just a simple demonstration of sorts; it's mostly so new people can get a taste of how things work and look like. For people who want to spend more than a few minutes on it, it's almost always better to just download a standalone life application (Golly is the most commonly used here).

ebcube

Post by ebcube » December 29th, 2010, 12:24 pm

That about the code box gave me an idea. What if Golly accepted its own URI scheme for patterns? Something like the data URI scheme (Wikipedia). Then, a button could be added on the code block to open the pattern on Golly.

It could also be extended to install .table, .tree, .colors and .icons files automatically.

Axaj

Post by Axaj » December 30th, 2010, 1:16 am

ebcube wrote:That about the code box gave me an idea. What if Golly accepted its own URI scheme for patterns? Something like the data URI scheme (Wikipedia). Then, a button could be added on the code block to open the pattern on Golly.

It could also be extended to install .table, .tree, .colors and .icons files automatically.
This could be done, but it's rather pointless. There are more pressing features to be added; if Golly goes into a development lull (probably not happening for a while), adding it could be reasonable.