ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Cross topic search reqiest

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or wiki function.

Cross topic search reqiest

Postby simsim314 » March 2nd, 2019, 7:44 am

I was searching LifeWiki in General and got no thread for it. Assuming this is the correct place I've opened a thread on this topic. Not sure this is needed but can we have a search accross tha whole site?
simsim314

Re: Cross topic search reqiest

Postby wildmyron » March 2nd, 2019, 8:00 am

This is possible from the forum search page, but unfortunately there's no direct link to it from the front page. However, on any search results page you can "Return to advanced search" which is a link to the search page. I remember it being discussed years ago, and dvgrn mentioning that he normally uses "View your posts" as an indirect route to get there. I presume it is one of those things that requires Nathaniel to make a change in the forum configuration but which he's never got around to doing (or been aware that there was a desire for it).
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 221,000 spaceships. Tabulated pages up to period 160 are available on the LifeWiki.
wildmyron

Postby simsim314 » March 2nd, 2019, 8:05 am

wildmyron wrote:This is possible from the forum search page

Thanks!

Maybe it will be enough just adding a button to the ConwayLife.com bunner in the right corner, called "search site" or something. Or Home, LifeWiki, Forums, Download golly + Search site.
simsim314

Postby Macbi » March 2nd, 2019, 8:12 am

On a related topic, I've noticed that Google is getting worse at searching the forum. It used to be that if you entered your search along with "site:conwaylife.com" then it would find every page on the forum where those words appeared. But now it only sometimes finds the page you're looking for. For example I used the phrase "If you want a 2-cell high-period oscillator the two cells have to be one cell apart orthogonally" on this page, but if you type '"If you want a 2-cell high-period oscillator the two cells have to be one cell apart orthogonally" site:conwaylife.com' into Google then you get no results. I'm sure this wasn't previously the case. Is there some reason why Google would have begun to ignore parts of the forum?
Macbi

Return to Website Discussion