Help with coding examples

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Orangery

Help with coding examples

Post by Orangery » March 10th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Hi all, I can successfully copy and paste members 'code' examples but not sure how to import my own. I am using MCell and any life patterns that are saved use an '.mcl' extension.

dvgrn

Re: Help with coding examples

Post by dvgrn » March 10th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Orangery wrote:Hi all, I can successfully copy and paste members 'code' examples but not sure how to import my own. I am using MCell and any life patterns that are saved use an '.mcl' extension.
Try simply copying and pasting a selection from MCell, surrounding it with [code*] and [\code*] tags. Those tags don't mean that pattern data is really referred to as "code", by the way -- that's just a standard BBCode tag that happens to make patterns easier for people to copy.

For Bxxx../Syyy.. type rules, I think MCell will generally copy patterns to the clipboard either in ASCII format or standard RLE, depending on some detail that I don't remember (size of selection?). Both of those formats are in use around here. Patterns that can't be translated into standard RLE, such as HistoricalLife or other rule-table patterns, get copied in MCell's custom multi-state RLE format.

MCell-formatted patterns might still be okay sometimes. I think most people on the forums use Golly as a pattern viewer, and Golly can handle at least some MCell-format patterns -- Generations rules and HistoricalLife in particular -- since they're fairly close to Golly's own multi-state pattern format.

* Leave out the asterisks.

Orangery

Re: Help with coding examples

Post by Orangery » March 11th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Thanks for all the info. I have since saved the life pattern (in MCell) as an RLE (.lif). Right clicking on the file allows me to open it in Notepad. Should be plain sailing from there.