Thread For Your Naming Proposals of Unnamed Patterns

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
Moosey

Re: Thread For Your Naming Proposals of Unnamed Patterns

Post by Moosey » February 26th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Saka wrote:
Moosey wrote:25P3H1V0.1 needs a name incredibly badly. I feel it should be called "flat bug" or something.
Anybody else got suggestions?
I've always referred to it as the UFO or "flying saucer"
That’s a fairly good name.
47575M/47487M needs a name.

Who is the spouse of a Homer?*

*Preferably not a Simpson
not active here but active on discord

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » February 27th, 2019, 3:38 am

Moosey wrote:That’s a fairly good name.
47575M/47487M needs a name.

Who is the spouse of a Homer?*

*Preferably not a Simpson
I think dvgrn already proposed a name, but precisely the Simpson one. :P Unfortunately, there is effectively nothing known for sure about the personal life of the original Greek Homer - not even if there really was a single person named Homer who wrote the Iliad and Odyssey.

Macbi

Post by Macbi » February 27th, 2019, 3:49 am

According to Wikipedia, the Home Depot mascot is called Homer and has a wife called Daisy.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » March 11th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Here's a naming proposal.
First, the resulting pattern needs to officially be called a beethoven, given that it is basically official terminology.

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
o3bo$o3bo$o3bo$b3o!
And thus, the resulting constellation for this is a chopin:

x = 3, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
3o2$bo$bo$obo$bo$bo!
Note:
The chopin is formed from a somewhat similar sparking as the beethoven, but contact is established two generations later.

x = 16, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
obo10bo$3o10bobo$13b2o3$3o9b3o$obo9bobo$3o9b3o!
are there any constellations to call Bachs, Schumanns, Rachmanninoffs, and other Baroque, Classical, Romantic (etc.) composers?

EDIT:
I guess this is a Bach:

x = 5, y = 12, rule = B3/S23
2bo$2bo$2bo3$2bo$bobo$o3bo$o3bo$o3bo$bobo$2bo!
and don't worry, we have plenty of material.

This must be a schumann:

x = 15, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
3o3b2o2b2o2bo$obo2bo2bo2bo2bo$3o3b2o2b2o2bo!

Gustone

Post by Gustone » May 7th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Last edited by Gustone on June 8th, 2021, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » May 7th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Gustone wrote:58P5H1V1 just needs to be named Jerry
Jerry.png
(this may or may not be condisered as a joke)

Others:
25P3H1V0.1 - Conveyor belt
Edge repair spaceship 1 , 25P3H1V0.2 , 60P3H1V0.3 , etc short c/3 using the same parts - Conveyor
Jerry? What?

Re: conveyor: That would be confusing.
A hypothetical person wrote:This rake uses 100 different types of conveyor
I’m honestly better with them saying
An alternate version of that hypothetical person wrote:This rake uses N_1P3H1V0, N_2P3H1V0...
As for me, I still think
I wrote:30P5H2V0 for some reason makes me think of pocket watches; perhaps pocketwatch?
EDIT:
This phase in particular makes me think of pocketwatches:

x = 13, y = 10, rule = LifeHistory
3.3E$2.E3.E$2.2E.2E$3.E.E$3C.E.E2.3C$5.E3.3C$2C7.C2.C$9.C$10.C$9.C.C!

Saka

Post by Saka » May 8th, 2019, 7:31 am

Moosey wrote:
Gustone wrote:58P5H1V1 just needs to be named Jerry
Jerry.png
(this may or may not be condisered as a joke)

Others:
25P3H1V0.1 - Conveyor belt
Edge repair spaceship 1 , 25P3H1V0.2 , 60P3H1V0.3 , etc short c/3 using the same parts - Conveyor
Jerry? What?

Re: conveyor: That would be confusing.
A hypothetical person wrote:This rake uses 100 different types of conveyor
I’m honestly better with them saying
An alternate version of that hypothetical person wrote:This rake uses N_1P3H1V0, N_2P3H1V0...
I agree with these 2 points. Conveyor doesn't seem fitting.

Freywa

Post by Freywa » May 8th, 2019, 10:57 am

Gustone wrote:12P2 - Squasher
77P77 - Twin fire
41P7.2 - Hare
In Shinjuku, I gave the name lei to 12P2, simply because it looks like a lei (and Comfey):

xp2_rhe44ewehr:piston
xp2_rhewehr:sparkcoil
xp2_s01110szw222:trafficlight|tl
xp2_s0i0j0ezw1:12p2|lei
xp2_wbq2sgz32:beacononcover|beaconandtwotails
xp2_wg0k053z642:pentapole|quinpole
xp2_wgj1u0og26z25421:20p2
Princess of Science, Parcly Taxel

x = 31, y = 5, rule = B2-a/S12
3bo23bo$2obo4bo13bo4bob2o$3bo4bo13bo4bo$2bo4bobo11bobo4bo$2bo25bo!

praosylen

Post by praosylen » May 10th, 2019, 12:42 am

35P12.1: Gullible
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

Hunting

Post by Hunting » May 10th, 2019, 3:39 am

12P2: Hollow Cha-cha
(Although I know it isn't actually an hollow cha-cha but it just gives you the feeling)

Moosey

Post by Moosey » May 10th, 2019, 7:51 am

We should just call 12P2 unnameable.

Seriously

PkmnQ

Post by PkmnQ » May 10th, 2019, 9:05 am

12P2 has both a part of a pheonix and a "skewing blinker" (blinker to banana spark back to blinker).
Skewer pheonix?
Last edited by PkmnQ on May 11th, 2019, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freywa

Post by Freywa » May 10th, 2019, 10:36 am

Moosey wrote:We should just call 12P2 unnameable.

Seriously
I've been bold and moved the LifeWiki page on 12P2 to lei.

It seems further fitting that L is the 12th letter of the alphabet and the symbol for the currency called leu (Romania and Moldova; plural is lei).

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » May 10th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Isn't that kind of against what we are supposed to do? The naming either goes to the discoverer or the community. You are a part of the community, but nobody else really voted on it.
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

Macbi

Post by Macbi » May 10th, 2019, 4:49 pm

AforAmpere wrote:Isn't that kind of against what we are supposed to do? The naming either goes to the discoverer or the community. You are a part of the community, but nobody else really voted on it.
I think Freywa's mention of "being bold" might be a reference to the Wikipedia policy of doing exactly that. The reasoning behind this policy (which also holds here) is that any changes to a wiki are easy to reverse, so one should not fear pushing boundaries. We can always reverse the renaming if we want to.

In this case though I like the new name. Does anyone even know who the discoverer was?

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » May 10th, 2019, 6:35 pm

AforAmpere wrote:Isn't that kind of against what we are supposed to do? The naming either goes to the discoverer or the community. You are a part of the community, but nobody else really voted on it.
Apple Bottom echoed my thoughts on this pretty well: named objects are generally a good thing to give patterns a sort of "personality," but these names should be agreed upon by the community (i.e. given the OK by at least a few people in this thread or somewhere else) before being added to the LifeWiki. I personally have no objection to "Lei" for 12P2, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has other suggestions/comments. Of course, like Macbi said, it's not like we can't just revert the page move later.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » May 11th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Ian07 wrote:
Apple Bottom echoed my thoughts on this pretty well: named objects are generally a good thing to give patterns a sort of "personality," but these names should be agreed upon by the community (i.e. given the OK by at least a few people in this thread or somewhere else) before being added to the LifeWiki. I personally have no objection to "Lei" for 12P2, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has other suggestions/comments. Of course, like Macbi said, it's not like we can't just revert the page move later.
I personally think "lei" is a perfectly good name -- but then again, I thought "12P2" was a perfectly good name, too. I'm not too worried either way.

I'd like to be a little more careful about new names than just getting an "OK by at least a few people", though. It's possible for small groups of people on a thread like this to all become over-enthusiastic together... Ideally it would be good if a term was actually "used by at least a few people", or preferably more than a few, before it found its way into the LifeWiki. If someone calls 12P2 a "lei", and expects to be understood by other people in the conversation, then that's common usage, or close enough -- and a link to that specific usage can be added to the LifeWiki.

A Modest Proposal
I'd like to suggest adding this as part of the LifeWiki policy for neologisms: whoever is editing in a new name should also add a reference to where the name comes from. If the editor is also the inventor of the term, then that makes it even more important to admit that awkward fact and add the reference. It could even be suggested standard policy to revert any neologism like "lei", unless some kind of reference is included... does anyone else like that idea, or is it just me?

I added my suggested references to the "lei" and "angry egg" articles. In both cases it would be hard for a casual reader to figure out who invented those names, if those references weren't available. It's nice to be able to tell the difference between "term invented by John Conway, appears in two volumes of LIFELINE, in common use since the 1970s" and "muzik/Freywa just suddenly made this term up in December 2018/May 2019".

No Way to Tell What Will Stick... But You Can Play The Odds
The problem I see with one person unilaterally deciding on new names and documenting them on the LifeWiki is basically that there's an unlimited supply of objects to name. It can be hard to stop naming once you get started, and hard to judge how good your inventions really are. One new name like "lei" every now and then can be a good contribution. But, inevitably, a thousand new names would mostly turn out to be useless LifeWiki clutter.

A recent example that comes to mind is "angry egg". That still life already had a perfectly good name. Why exactly did it suddenly need a new alias, especially a confusing one (because it's not an egg)? And yet it apparently seemed irresistible at the time, for some reason.

The Infamous Three-Step Checklist
There's a general policy on the LifeWiki of not documenting patterns or names that you invented yourself. Without that policy the LifeWiki would tend to get littered with names that nobody has ever actually used, and probably no one will ever use. Years later someone usually ends up going through and doing a bunch of time-consuming research, and probably removes the unused names again. Ultimately this all seems like a big waste of time.

The policy seems to do a pretty good job of keeping things reasonable. The result is that the LifeWiki is mostly limited to documenting common usage of actual existing Life terms, instead of getting cluttered up with everyone's clever nomenclature that's just going to get forgotten in a year or two.

... My rather conservative perspective on all this probably comes from having had to research and discard a ridiculous amount of pointless dead terminology while trying to get the Life Lexicon up to date.

Freywa

Post by Freywa » May 11th, 2019, 11:08 pm

dvgrn wrote:I'd like to be a little more careful about new names than just getting an "OK by at least a few people", though. It's possible for small groups of people on a thread like this to all become over-enthusiastic together... Ideally it would be good if a term was actually "used by at least a few people", or preferably more than a few, before it found its way into the LifeWiki. If someone calls 12P2 a "lei", and expects to be understood by other people in the conversation, then that's common usage, or close enough -- and a link to that specific usage can be added to the LifeWiki.
I made the initial move to put an end to what would otherwise be endless speculation on possible names for 12P2, proposals for which I had seen earlier in the thread. I have refrained from randomly renaming other patterns because they're like dust particles in space – floating around, too many to count.

However, the lei – 12P2 – is special. It is symmetrical and it is the only one of the 12-bit p2s that had no established name in Niemiec's database (as compared to the three unnamed 14-bit p2s), and it has turned up a fair number of times in asymmetric soups (which led to an 8G synthesis for it). I believe it was the smallest strict periodic pattern of any kind by number of cells that had no established name then.

It seemed to be yearning for a formal name out of all the oscillators, like how Ed Pegg wrote in 2003 for the MAA that the cubic symmetric graph F24A deserved a name – this graph was named the Nauru graph by Eppstein in 2007.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » May 12th, 2019, 7:13 am

Freywa wrote:...
However, the lei – 12P2 – is special. It is symmetrical and it is the only one of the 12-bit p2s that had no established name in Niemiec's database (as compared to the three unnamed 14-bit p2s), and it has turned up a fair number of times in asymmetric soups (which led to an 8G synthesis for it). I believe it was the smallest strict periodic pattern of any kind by number of cells that had no established name then.
I think that you can make a similar argument for any pattern, if, admittedly, not as good an argument.
For instance, small spaceships like
25P3H1V0.1
25P3H1V0.2
30P5H2V0
I guess I’m saying that the term “special” is really flexible.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » May 12th, 2019, 7:15 am

Freywa wrote:It seemed to be yearning for a formal name out of all the oscillators, like how Ed Pegg wrote in 2003 for the MAA that the cubic symmetric graph F24A deserved a name – this graph was named the Nauru graph by Eppstein in 2007.
That all seems perfectly fine to me. Every now and then there's an exception that proves the rule. The lack of objections to 'lei' seems to indicate this was one of those cases where it was easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

We have the old rule floating around that
In general, if someone invents a new term, they should let someone else document it on the LifeWiki.
The new idea I'd like to implement going forward -- and that I'd like to get "an OK from at least a few people" on first! -- is that standard policy for cases like this should be
No matter who invented a term, if it is known to be a new invention, a reference should be added to make it clear who invented it when, in the same edit that adds the term to the LifeWiki. This can be either a link to something like a forum message, or text added to the body of the article if necessary.
This will make it much easier to catch over-enthusiastic additions, bring up objections, and revert changes when that's necessary (if someone thinks of a name that's already in use somewhere else, for example).

Macbi

Post by Macbi » May 12th, 2019, 7:31 am

dvgrn wrote:The new idea I'd like to implement going forward -- and that I'd like to get "an OK from at least a few people" on first! -- is that standard policy for cases like this should be
No matter who invented a term, if it is known to be a new invention, a reference should be added to make it clear who invented it when, in the same edit that adds the term to the LifeWiki. This can be either a link to something like a forum message, or text added to the body of the article if necessary.
This will make it much easier to catch over-enthusiastic additions, bring up objections, and revert changes when that's necessary (if someone thinks of a name that's already in use somewhere else, for example).
That does sound like a good policy.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » May 12th, 2019, 7:35 am

Macbi wrote:That does sound like a good policy
Agreed

Moosey

Post by Moosey » June 24th, 2019, 9:37 am

2c/5s:

44P5H2V0: Chestnut. Not because it resembles a chestnut much but because it’s a “tough nut to crack”.
30P5H2V0: Pocketwatch, as I have already said multiple times.
60P5H2V0: Picnic, like saka suggested.
70P5H2V0: I have no idea, perhaps coco-de-mer since it resembles a large 44P5H2V0.

c/3s:
233P3H1V0: Orthogonal seal.
54P3H1V0: Amoeba

c/4s:
37P4H1V0: T kettle, or anything else that’s a play on T. I dunno.
46P4H1V0: fast blobfish, or something.

I’m not proud of any of these proposals except chestnut and Pocketwatch.

Saka

Post by Saka » June 24th, 2019, 10:47 am

Moosey wrote: 44P5H2V0: Chestnut. Not because it resembles a chestnut much but because it’s a “tough nut to crack”.
I strongly disagree on this one. I've always called this one "butterfly" because it looks like it's flapping it's wings and has 2 antennae.
Moosey wrote: 60P5H2V0: Picnic, like saka suggested.
You were the one that suggested that name, haha. But I guess I did implicitly suggest that by proposing "Double Headed Internal Picnic" for 274P6H1V0. I used to think this was X66, but I thought the name for X66 was X33, so I've personally referred to this ship as and am proposing the name "X33".
Moosey wrote: 70P5H2V0: I have no idea, perhaps coco-de-mer since it resembles a large 44P5H2V0.
I've always thought this resembled 56P6H1V0 and Weekender a bit, I have no idea why.
Moosey wrote: c/3s:
233P3H1V0: Orthogonal seal.
Walrus?
Moosey wrote: c/4s:
37P4H1V0: T kettle, or anything else that’s a play on T. I dunno.
I've always thought this as a "less aggressive" version of Wasp, Bee? (Although then it might be confused with the queen bee).
Moosey wrote: 46P4H1V0: fast blobfish, or something.
I wont say my thoughts on this ship, and others have probably had the same thoughts as well upon seeing it...

adr

Post by adr » June 26th, 2019, 11:19 pm

I've always called this a carpet roller, because it makes a carpet-looking shape.anybody got better names?

x = 7, y = 6, rule = StarWars
2.5A$.A.A.A$3ACA.A$3ACA.A$.A.A.A$2.5A!
Last edited by adr on June 26th, 2019, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.