The "Nebula bomb"

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
EPICdude

The "Nebula bomb"

Post by EPICdude » December 4th, 2017, 9:26 am

While i was messing around with CGOF i discovered something really cool. If you place a 7x3 rectangle and remove the corners and the inside of the rectangle it'll "Blow up" and turn into a nebula. Thats how i got the very unique name. Please let me know weather this has already been discovered or i've discovered it. I've already experimented with it a bit but i haven't seemed to make any more discoveries.
Last edited by EPICdude on December 5th, 2017, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apple Bottom

Re: The "Nebula bomb"

Post by Apple Bottom » December 4th, 2017, 9:48 am

EPICdude wrote:While i was messing around with CGOF i discovered something really cool. If you place a 5x3 rectangle and remove the corners it'll "Blow up" and turn into a nebula. Thats how i got the very unique name. Please let me know weather this has already been discovered or i've discovered it. I've already experimented with it a bit but i haven't seemed to make any more discoveries.
Hey, welcome to the forums!

Here's a useful tip: you can share patterns by copying and pasting them in RLE format between code tags; this'll allow the forum's built-in LifeViewer applet to run them. To get a pattern in RLE format, simply select and copy (Ctrl-C) it in Golly.

Is this the pattern you had in mind when you said "place a 5x3 rectangle and remove the corners"? I'm not sure I'm seeing the effect you're referring to there.

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
bo$3o$3o$3o$bo!
Another useful tip: it's generally best to not start a new thread for specific discoveries. There's existing threads for this sort of thing, e.g. the Thread for your unsure discoveries.

Again, welcome!
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » December 4th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:Is this the pattern you had in mind when you said "place a 5x3 rectangle and remove the corners"? I'm not sure I'm seeing the effect you're referring to there.

a spark
I believe EPICdude is referring to this honey farm predecessor:

x = 5, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
b3o$o3bo$b3o!
Unlike the other one, this one does "blow up" into a constellation or "nebula".
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

EPICdude

Post by EPICdude » December 5th, 2017, 8:35 am

OOPS i wrote this completely wrong my apologies. it is a 7x3 rectangle, remove the corners and the inside. im gonna edit the post right now.

Saka

Post by Saka » December 5th, 2017, 8:48 am

EPICdude wrote:OOPS i wrote this completely wrong my apologies. it is a 7x3 rectangle, remove the corners and the inside. im gonna edit the post right now.
Pulsar predecessor