ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Long-lived methuselahs

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.

Re: Long-lived methuselahs

Postby simeks » August 4th, 2017, 12:02 pm

testitemqlstudop wrote:error running ./mknative on MacOs Seirra:
clang: error: unknown argument: '-fno-tree-loop-distribute-patterns'
clang: error: unknown argument: '-fno-tree-loop-distribute-patterns'
Hao-FengjiematoMacBook-Air:meth_h4 qlstudio$

I haven't tried compiling with clang, but it may be as simple as just removing the -fno-tree-loop-distribute-patterns option from the mknative file - that's just a small optimization anyway and it would be interesting to know if that works!

testitemqlstudop wrote:It's ok now I installed debian. Thanks! (Also, how long should it take before a successful 8*8 grid 30 on cell search take? What is the most suggested grid-oncell pair?)

That's more than 10^18 different patterns to try... From systematic trends it would take about 80000 years to complete.
It you want to try a search that I've been planning to do but haven't started you could try 15 oncells in a 9-by-5 bounding box - that should take about 3 weeks to run. But it might be better to wait for the new verision I'm working on.
simeks

Postby testitemqlstudop » August 4th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Well,what is the best oncell/gridsize ratio?
testitemqlstudop

Postby testitemqlstudop » August 5th, 2017, 2:13 am

Removing the optimization works. Also, when should you be done with the new version?
testitemqlstudop

Postby BlinkerSpawn » August 5th, 2017, 8:20 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:Well,what is the best oncell/gridsize ratio?

There's no real optimal ratio.
What's important is keeping a number of on-cells and a grid size that are low enough to prevent combinatorial explosion while being high enough to allow methuselae. The limiting factor in these searches is not the ratio of ON cells but the number of possible combinations of them.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]
BlinkerSpawn

Postby simeks » August 5th, 2017, 10:38 am

BlinkerSpawn wrote:
testitemqlstudop wrote:Well,what is the best oncell/gridsize ratio?

There's no real optimal ratio.
What's important is keeping a number of on-cells and a grid size that are low enough to prevent combinatorial explosion while being high enough to allow methuselae. The limiting factor in these searches is not the ratio of ON cells but the number of possible combinations of them.

I agree! There are examples of methuselahs with both high and low ratios:

x = 407, y = 30, rule = LifeHistory
406.A$404.A$404.A$404.A$396.3A$396.A7.2A$405.A18$A2.3A$A2.A$2A.A.A$2A
2.2A$3A.A$2A.3A!

It's also worth mentioning that the program assumes all "smaller" searches have already been made, so that if a seed evolves to a pattern with the same bounding box and fewer cells, or a smaller bounding box with fewer or the same number of cells, it will be discarded.

testitemqlstudop wrote:Removing the optimization works. Also, when should you be done with the new version?

Thanks for testing that!
I've done enough work on the new version to know it will be a lot faster, but I can't make any promises about when it will be done.
simeks

Previous

Return to Patterns