New knightship?

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
FlameandFury

New knightship?

Post by FlameandFury » June 18th, 2016, 4:00 pm

There is a reaction that forms a knightship in B38/S23. Specifically, it is a pre-B heptomino reacting with a boat to move it (4,1). I'm wondering if the same reaction could be used in normal Life.

In that variant, the R pentomino is an unstable oblique puffer, and the T tetromino it creates in Life will die rather than becoming 4 blinkers. My two plans are either glider synthesize the R, then clean it up, or use spartan R conduits and destroy them. I believe that the second one will work better because if you used glider, then you'd have to use some sort of oblique rake (maybe a caterloopillar?). Plus, cleaning up the debris made by the R would probably be easier because of the still lifes being there before they get destroyed.

EDIT: Here's how this reaction moves the boat:

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
$4bo4bo$4bo2bo$5b3o$2b2o$bobo$2bo!
what is sesame oil?

muzik

Re: New knightship?

Post by muzik » June 18th, 2016, 5:46 pm

I highly doubt that a knightship could be built on this reaction, at least not a small one. For example, the thing that creates the Rs would also have to move in an oblique direction,etc...

Here's a much simpler reaction that moves an item in an oblique direction (and also hasn't powered any spaceships to my knowledge):

Code: Select all

x = 11, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
8bo$8bobo$8b2o$2o$2o!