Soup search results

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
dvgrn

Re: Soup search results

Post by dvgrn » July 12th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Scorbie wrote:Naming new objects appearing on Catagolue seems to be judgement call...
It's interesting to some, while not too much on others, (which differs from object by object)
Some objects are actually named by one person arbitrarily (e.g. Omnibus) and
It seems hard to make a consensus with this everytime, both because of its frequency and attention gotten.
Yeah, this professor case is kind of a tough one. Catagolue record-breakers don't come along every day, so it's nice for such objects to have a name, and "professor" is a good name so I bet it will end up being the near-enough-to-consensus choice. Hearing no objection... so mote it be (or whatever the proper Robert's Rules of Order saying is).

Personally I'm usually to be found in the "not too interested" camp, as far as names go -- probably from working too much on Life Lexicon entries recently. Here's my take on how new names are invented and accepted:

Discoverer Gets To Choose
Just mentioning this for the sake of completeness, to get it out of the way. We mostly see new names being generated for newly discovered rare/useful/interesting objects. Common practice is to wait around for a while and ask the discoverer for a name, and/or try to stack the deck by offering Really Good Suggestions (TM) -- that worked very nicely for loafer...!

Common Usage
If a lot of people in a lot of discussions over a long period of time are referring to Object X by a particular name, then that name probably ought to go into the LifeWiki and the Life Lexicon, so that it's possible to look up Object X and understand what people are talking about.

Conversely, if someone on some particular day happens to feel like applying a random name to a random object, there's nothing terribly wrong with that, but it's probably better to just fail to pay any attention. This is a time-honored coping mechanism that goes back several decades now.

Cases like flying saucer and blobfish, and most of the other ideas collected on the Project Alias thread, seem to me like just making extra trouble. If we try to keep track of suggestions like that, we'll end up with multiple competing names for a lot of objects. In most cases the extra name doesn't solve any pressing problems with terminology. In practice it's impossible to keep up with people's enthusiasm for naming things, and past a certain hard-to-define point, more names just end up causing more confusion.

A High But Not Impossible Barrier
Now, if someone decides to build a glider-to-25P3H1V0.2-to-Herschel converter, or lots of high-period rakes or other structures using 25P3H1V0.2s, and in the extended discussions everybody finds it more convenient to call these objects "saucers" or "flying saucers", then that changes things!

As soon as there are high odds that someone will read about flying saucers in a discussion somewhere, and want to look them up in the LifeWiki or the Life Lexicon and find out what they are, then a definition of "flying saucer" ought to be there.

Notability and Non-
Until those complex constructions and extended discussions actually happen, "flying saucer" is not going to be anywhere near a commonly used term, and so it seems to me that it definitely shouldn't have an official definition.

In wiki terms, neologisms like "flying saucer" are likely to be deleted as non-notable -- just as a matter of self-defense. Based on long past experience with the LifeWiki and its predecessors (Life Lexicon, and Alan Hensel's glossary before that), most such definitions will end up as clutter and won't actually get used by anyone, ever... not even the original inventor.

It seems much better to keep the clutter under control -- even if that means that hard-hearted moderators with no poetry in their souls callously delete a near-irresistible name now and again. If it's really good, it will come into common usage eventually, and then it will be back on the LifeWiki as a matter of course.

Invidious Exceptions
As Scorbie pointed out, sometimes a single person does get to arbitrarily pick a name for a fairly arbitrary object, and it ends up in the LifeWiki or the Life Lexicon pretty much right away.

Just for example, if I ever get the final cleanup done, it will be clear that I'm guilty of attempting this kind of thing here and there in the new Life Lexicon update -- i.e., defining a new not-yet-in-general-use term because it's clearly going to be needed, like to distinguish Kazyan's color-preserving periodic "bumper" reflectors from the old color-changing ones. I try not to do this too often, but Life Lexicon updates are enough work that I don't feel like I have to apologize for slipping in an occasional piece of useful terminology.

Along somewhat similar lines, given the impressive investment made to set up apgsearch/apgmera, it seems perfectly reasonable for Calcyman to take advantage of Catagolue's handy advertising ability, and make up an occasional name out of whole cloth. Anyone who has done a lot of work on developing a complex project -- even if they're the only contributor! -- may well end up generating new related terminology.

So far, record-breaking large objects like omnibus, Cthulhu, and now professor haven't had competing names -- nobody has enumerated still lifes up to that many bits, for example -- and there's usually some discussion of those objects right away as glider syntheses are worked out. So it seems good to have a suggested handle available quickly for those objects.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » July 12th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Scorbie wrote:(Disclaimer: Off topic from soup search results)

Hmm... I have been thinking about naming new things lately. I thought that this was the thoughts of most of us in the forum, but I am not sure if this still is today.

Naming new objects appearing on Catagolue seems to be judgement call...
It's interesting to some, while not too much on others, (which differs from object by object)
Some objects are actually named by one person arbitrarily (e.g. Omnibus) and
It seems hard to make a consensus with this everytime, both because of its frequency and attention gotten. (Sorry about the little rant I made at Lifewiki the other day...)

TL;DR: I don't have a clue whether naming new objects in Catagolue and in general is no-problemo or not.

Still, I think objects already with a name, at the very least, shouldn't be named again, unless there is a good reason to do so. (e.g. flying saucer on this page; I (and hopefully others) called it 25P3H1V0.2 for a long time and it would only cause confusion to rename it otherwise. blobfish too.)
My two bits: it's generally up to the discoverer to name a new object, even if the discovery is accidental. I got to name the pony express; Calcyman named Cthulhu. If Rich Holmes has any preferences for what Rich's p16 should be called, it should be given that.

'course the name still needs to be acceptable to the Life community in general, but I reckon we're a pretty accommodating bunch, and fancy names have a long tradition in Conway Life.

When an object isn't named by the discoverer, sometimes it makes sense to call it "${PERSON}'s ${OBJECT}". Rich's p16 comes to mind again, as do Beluchenko's p37 and p51, Jason's and Achim's various p's, and so on.

When this isn't an option, it's up to the Life community at large to decide on a name. This is an organic process; there's no formal vote or anything. Someone proposes a name, and if (IF!) it catches on, then that'll eventually be the object's name. If it doesn't catch on... then perhaps the name just didn't click with people, or the object is not notable enough to need a descriptive name, etc. Anyone's free to suggest different names and see if those catch on, of course.

And as before I think it's better to name various related objects systematically than to pick one out arbitrarily (and let's face it, "this variant has appeared from an asymmetric soup already but that variant has not" IS arbitrary) and name that while neglecting the others.

As for the LifeWiki, my take is that:

a) it should generally document what names ARE accepted and in use, rather than serving as a tool to establish new names;
b) it's dead easy to edit and rename pages as necessary, so if we want to write an article on a new, yet unnamed object we needn't let the lack of a name keep us from doing so.

(Also, for the benefit of anyone not following the Wiki too closely, the rant Scorbie alludes to is this, I think.)
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » July 12th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Scorbie wrote:Still, I think objects already with a name, at the very least, shouldn't be named again, unless there is a good reason to do so. (e.g. flying saucer on this page; I (and hopefully others) called it 25P3H1V0.2 for a long time and it would only cause confusion to rename it otherwise. blobfish too.)
This has caused me some personal confusion. Pentadecathlon.com calls this 25P3H1V0.1, and the slightly larger spaceship 25P3H1V0.2, and if I had to name these in a vacuum, those would be the name I would assign them as well. (This is the nomenclature I have used on my web site also) However, the spaceship synthesis thread and the wiki reverse these names. It's not clear which of these two nomenclatures is the more correct one, and who is the definitive authority on assigning numeric sequence numbers to generic unnamed objects.

This same issue has also come up with naming the smallest still-lifes. H. Koenig's order on Pentadecathlon (which also happens to be the same order that I used, even without sequence numbers) differs from Dave Buckingham's names for the 8-bit still-lifes. However, since Buckingham's nomenclature only assigned sequence number to about half of the still-lifes (the less common ones that didn't previously have names), it makes more sense to use Koenig's numbers than Buckingham's. There was no conflict from 4-7 bits, as those still-lifes were common and never had associated numbers. There also wasn't a problem with 9-bit ones, since the hat was the only unnumbered one, so it made sense to call it 9.10.

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » July 12th, 2016, 11:53 pm

@Applebottom @dvgrn Thanks... That solve a lot of my worries and what you guys said "feels" kinda right.
@dvgrn Whoops. I didnt know there was that kind of headache... I should admit that I didnt verify that. (Yeah... I thought it was the larger one...)

Extrementhusiast

Post by Extrementhusiast » July 13th, 2016, 8:53 pm

mniemiec wrote:They can be. I it might be possible to further reduce this by 1, if one an find a 3-glider synthesis of beehive and block, but none of the ones I know make them with that spacing.
Found one:

Code: Select all

x = 11, y = 24, rule = B3/S23
6bo$6bobo$6b2o6$6bo3bo$4bobob2o$5b2o2b2o6$2o$2o3$2bo$bobo$bobo$2bo!
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » July 16th, 2016, 6:28 am

New twin bees shuttle variant, found by Calcyman:

x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
oboboooobooboboo$
oooboboooobbbobo$
obbboobooooobbob$
obbobbbbobbbobbb$
boooooooboooooob$
bobbobboooobobbb$
oboooboboobobbbo$
ooooooooooobbobo$
bbobbbooooobooob$
bbbobboooboobboo$
bbobooboobboboob$
bbbboooboobboobb$
bboobbobbobbbboo$
oooboobobbbobbbb$
bboobbbbobbbbbbo$
obbbooboobbooobb!
"Trans-twin-bees-shuttle on block"?
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » July 16th, 2016, 9:27 am

Apple Bottom wrote:New twin bees shuttle variant, found by Calcyman:

soup
"Trans-twin-bees-shuttle on block"?
I'm not so keen on "on block", simply because that sounds like the appropriate term for this:

x = 9, y = 32, rule = B3/S23
2o$2o2$bo5bo$3o3b3o$o2bobo2bo$2b2ob2o4$o7bo$bobobobo$bobobobo$ob2ob2ob
o$2o5b2o13$7b2o$7b2o2$7b2o$7b2o!
"Trans-twin-bees-shuttle hassling block" seems like a better description.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

muzik

Post by muzik » July 16th, 2016, 9:41 am

Trans-twin bees shuttle tickling block?

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » July 16th, 2016, 11:13 am

Apple Bottom wrote:... "Trans-twin-bees-shuttle on block"?
BlinkerSpawn wrote:I'm not so keen on "on block", simply because that sounds like the appropriate term for this: ...
"Trans-twin-bees-shuttle hassling block" seems like a better description.
I agree; however, since the block is eating an (albeit trivial) piece of the twin bees, maybe it should be the other way around, e.g. "cis block hassling twin bees between trans blocks" (as the block can be on either side of the axis of the symmetrical spark, there are many more than two ways of stabilizing twin bees).

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » July 17th, 2016, 4:40 am

mniemiec wrote:I agree; however, since the block is eating an (albeit trivial) piece of the twin bees, maybe it should be the other way around, e.g. "cis block hassling twin bees between trans blocks" (as the block can be on either side of the axis of the symmetrical spark, there are many more than two ways of stabilizing twin bees).
I like that.

Unrelated - t-nosed p6 in D4_+1:

x = 31, y = 31, rule = B3/S23
bboobbboobbbbobbbobbbboobbboobb$
ooobooooboobbobobobbooboooobooo$
booboooobooooooooooooobooooboob$
bboobobbbbboobbbbboobbbbboboobb$
bobbbooboboboooooooboboboobbbob$
bbbbooobbboooobbboooobbbooobbbb$
obbbobbbooobbobobobbooobbbobbbo$
bobboobobbooooboboooobboboobbob$
boboooobbbooboooooboobbboooobob$
boooboobbooobbbbbbbooobboobooob$
obbbbbobooooboobooboooobobbbbbo$
bboboobobbbobobbbobobbboboobobb$
bbooobobobbbobbobbobbbobobooobb$
ooooobobbbooobbbbbooobbbobooooo$
boobooooobobbbobobbboboooooboob$
ooboooboobbobooboobobbooboooboo$
boobooooobobbbobobbboboooooboob$
ooooobobbbooobbbbbooobbbobooooo$
bbooobobobbbobbobbobbbobobooobb$
bboboobobbbobobbbobobbboboobobb$
obbbbbobooooboobooboooobobbbbbo$
boooboobbooobbbbbbbooobboobooob$
boboooobbbooboooooboobbboooobob$
bobboobobbooooboboooobboboobbob$
obbbobbbooobbobobobbooobbbobbbo$
bbbbooobbboooobbboooobbbooobbbb$
bobbbooboboboooooooboboboobbbob$
bboobobbbbboobbbbboobbbbboboobb$
booboooobooooooooooooobooooboob$
ooobooooboobbobobobbooboooobooo$
bboobbboobbbbobbbobbbboobbboobb!
Unfortunately it forms pretty much right away.

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » July 17th, 2016, 5:20 am

Apple Bottom wrote:Unrelated - t-nosed p6 in D4_+1: ... Unfortunately it forms pretty much right away.
This is the predecessor, which looks like it might be buildable, especially with a less obtrusive alternate way of forming the boats:

x = 70, y = 19, rule = B3/S23
40bo11bo$41boo7boo$40boobbooboobboo$3bobobobo35bobo$5bobo15boo3boo15bo
bo15boo3boo$o5bo5bo10bobobobo16bo16bobobobo$o5bo5bo11bo3bo35bo3bo$bo9b
o$bbo7bo8bo3boo3boo3bo$bbo7bo8boboboo3boobobo$bbo7bo8bo3boo3boo3bo$bo
9bo$o5bo5bo11bo3bo35bo3bo$o5bo5bo10bobobobo16bo16bobobobo$5bobo15boo3b
oo15bobo15boo3boo$3bobobobo35bobo$40boobbooboobboo$41boo7boo$40bo11bo!

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » July 18th, 2016, 5:23 pm

New fumarole variant in D4_+4:

x = 32, y = 32, rule = B3/S23
obbobobboobobboooobboboobbobobbo$
oooobbooboobobobbobobooboobboooo$
obooooobbboobobooboboobbbooooobo$
boboooobbbobobobbobobobbboooobob$
obboobbbbbbbobboobbobbbbbbboobbo$
bobobbbooobboboooobobbooobbbobob$
bbooooooboobbbbbbbbbbooboooooobb$
bbooobooobbbbbbbbbbbbbbooobooobb$
bbbboooobbbbboboobobbbbboooobbbb$
bbbbobbbbbobobboobbobobbbbbobbbb$
bbooobbbooobbobbbbobbooobbbooobb$
ooooboboobobobbbbbbobobooboboooo$
oobbbbbbbbbobobbbbobobbbbbbbbboo$
oobbboooooobobbbbbboboooooobbboo$
obbbboobbbooobboobbooobbboobbbbo$
bbbooobbobobbboooobbbobobbooobbb$
bbbooobbobobbboooobbbobobbooobbb$
obbbboobbbooobboobbooobbboobbbbo$
oobbboooooobobbbbbboboooooobbboo$
oobbbbbbbbbobobbbbobobbbbbbbbboo$
ooooboboobobobbbbbbobobooboboooo$
bbooobbbooobbobbbbobbooobbbooobb$
bbbbobbbbbobobboobbobobbbbbobbbb$
bbbboooobbbbboboobobbbbboooobbbb$
bbooobooobbbbbbbbbbbbbbooobooobb$
bbooooooboobbbbbbbbbbooboooooobb$
bobobbbooobboboooobobbooobbbobob$
obboobbbbbbbobboobbobbbbbbboobbo$
boboooobbbobobobbobobobbboooobob$
obooooobbboobobooboboobbbooooobo$
oooobbooboobobobbobobooboobboooo$
obbobobboobobboooobboboobbobobbo!
Interestingly this forms by way of an intermediate test tube baby variant:

x = 13, y = 14, rule = B3/S23
2o$obo$b2o$3b2o$3bo6b3o$4b3o3b3o$7bo$7bo$4b3o3b3o$3bo6b3o$3b2o$b2o$obo
$2o!

calcyman

Post by calcyman » July 20th, 2016, 7:02 am

We've actually had a cis- version as well, very soon afterwards:

https://catagolue.appspot.com/census/b3s23/C1/xp46
https://catagolue.appspot.com/textcensus/b3s23/C1/xp46 (Firefox-friendly version)

There are a total of 4 isomers of this oscillator, of which 2 have now occurred naturally.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » July 22nd, 2016, 4:13 pm

Neat component, but that blinker predecessor's packed in too tightly:

x = 12, y = 24, rule = B3/S23
9bo$9bobo$5bo3b2o$4bo$4b3o2$3bo$bobo$2b2o2bo2$4bobo$5bo2$4b2o$4b2o4$4b
3o3$2obo3bo$ob2o2bobo$7b2o!

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » July 23rd, 2016, 9:31 pm

mniemiec wrote: This soup: http://catagolue.appspot.com/hashsoup/C ... 7345/b3s23 leads to a different synthesis from 16 gliders:

x = 105, y = 38, rule = B3/S23
6bo$7bo$5b3obbo70bo$10bobo31b3o27b3o3bo$10boo3bo64b3o$15bobo24bo5bo23b
o5bo$15boo25bo5bo23bo5bo$42bo5bo23bo5bo$8bo$9boo33b3o27b3o$8boo6bobo$
3bo12boo$4boo11bo$3boo$39boo28boo28boo$38bobbo26bobbo26bobbo$38bobo27b
obo27bobo$19bo16booboobbo22booboobbo22booboobbo$oo15boo16bobbobboobo
20bobbobboobo20bobbobboobo$boo15boo15boboobbobbo20boboobbobbo20boboobb
obbo$o35bobbooboo22bobbooboo22bobbooboo$39bobo27bobo27bobo$38bobbo26bo
bbo26bobbo$39boo28boo28boo$15boo$bbo11boo$bboo12bo$bobo6boo$9boo22b3o
27b3o$11bo$31bo5bo23bo5bo$3boo26bo5bo23bo5bo$bbobo26bo5bo23bo5bo$4bo3b
oo47b3o$7bobo23b3o23bo3b3o$9bobb3o43bo$12bo$13bo!
Your predecessor might still win if each half can be made from 7 or less gliders.
Here is a ten glider synthesis:

x = 40, y = 40, rule = B3/S23
17bo21bo$15b2o20b2o$16b2o20b2o$11bobo$12b2o$12bo$25bobo$25b2o$26bo3$3b
o$4b2o$3b2o22b3o$27bo$bo26bo$b2o$obo8$6b2o$7b2o$6bo6b2o$13bobo$13bo8$b
o$b2o$obo!

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » July 23rd, 2016, 9:43 pm

Here is a predecessor that may yield a synthesis for elf-shoe on elf-shoe

x = 23, y = 47, rule = B3/S23
17b2o$17bobo$17bobo$o17bo$b2o$2o2$20b3o$22bo$20b3o28$20b3o$22bo$20b3o
2$2o$b2o$o17bo$17bobo$17bobo$17b2o!

Hdjensofjfnen

Post by Hdjensofjfnen » July 23rd, 2016, 10:11 pm

Random HWSS-producing glider soup.

x = 28, y = 23, rule = B3/S23
14bobo$9bo4b2o$8bo6bo$bo6b3o$2bo$3o$13bo$12bo$3b3o6b3o$3bo4bobo$4bo3b
2o$9bo4$20b3o3b2o$20bo4b2o$21bo5bo3$20b3o3b2o$20bo4b2o$21bo5bo!

x = 5, y = 9, rule = B3-jqr/S01c2-in3
3bo$4bo$o2bo$2o2$2o$o2bo$4bo$3bo!

x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S2-i3-y4i
4b3o$6bo$o3b3o$2o$bo!

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » July 23rd, 2016, 10:37 pm

Goldtiger997 wrote:Here is a predecessor that may yield a synthesis for elf-shoe on elf-shoe

x = 23, y = 47, rule = B3/S23
17b2o$17bobo$17bobo$o17bo$b2o$2o2$20b3o$22bo$20b3o28$20b3o$22bo$20b3o
2$2o$b2o$o17bo$17bobo$17bobo$17b2o!
Here you go for 14G:

x = 77, y = 57, rule = B3/S23
60bo$59bobo$17bo41bobo$18b2o4bo35bo$17b2o4bo$23b3o29b2o$2bo51bo2bo$obo
52b2o10b2o6bo$b2o63b2o6bo$68bo5b3o$22bo$23bo$21b3o$17b3o$19bo$18bo2$
65b2o$65b2o6$61bob2o$59b3obobo$58bo6bo$58b7o2$58b7o$58bo6bo$59b3obobo$
61bob2o6$65b2o$65b2o3$22bo$22bobo$22b2o$26b2o$25b2o$27bo40bo5b3o$b2o
63b2o6bo$obo52b2o10b2o6bo$2bo51bo2bo$23b3o29b2o$17b2o4bo$18b2o4bo35bo$
17bo41bobo$59bobo$60bo!
There's an alternate route involving a direct synthesis of the Herschel descendant + tub stage (which can be replaced w/ suitable boats, a hive, or a loaf at the cost of a cleanup glider), but it's not any cheaper even if you can somehow trim off the seemingly necessary kickback glider.

x = 49, y = 91, rule = B3/S23
48bo$46b2o$47b2o20$23bob2o$23b3o$24bo4$obo$b2o$bo2$14bo$13bobo$14bo22$
14bo$13bobo$14bo2$bo$b2o$obo4$24bo$23b3o$23bob2o20$47b2o$46b2o$48bo!
It does, however, appear more elegant. :wink:

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » July 24th, 2016, 4:40 am

This may improve the synthesis of 18 gliders for the eater 4.

x = 23, y = 23, rule = B3/S23
11b3o2$9bo5bo$4b2o3bo5bo$3bobo3bo5bo$3b2o$11b3o3$2b3o$12b2o$o5bo6bo$o
5bo3bo8b3o$o5bo3b2o6bo3bo$18b2ob2o$2b3o3$13b2o$12bobo$12bo$12bobo$13b
2o!

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » July 24th, 2016, 8:37 am

Goldtiger997 wrote:This may improve the synthesis of 18 gliders for the eater 4.

x = 23, y = 23, rule = B3/S23
11b3o2$9bo5bo$4b2o3bo5bo$3bobo3bo5bo$3b2o$11b3o3$2b3o$12b2o$o5bo6bo$o
5bo3bo8b3o$o5bo3b2o6bo3bo$18b2ob2o$2b3o3$13b2o$12bobo$12bo$12bobo$13b
2o!
I'm surprised this comes out to less than 18 considering that's precisely the seed that produced the original synthesis:

x = 97, y = 90, rule = B3/S23
81bobo$81b2o$82bo29$44bo$44bo$44bo$36bo$35bobo2b3o3b3o$34bo2bo$35b2o7b
o$44bo$44bo$35bo$35bo$35bo8b2o$44b2o$31b3o3b3o2b2o$42b2o$35bo16bobo$
35bo16b2o$35bo17bo2$52b2o$53bo$46b2o2bo$47b2ob2o$46bo27$2o$b2o$o4$94b
2o$94bobo$94bo!

6 for two beacons
+2 for a loaf
+4 for two TL's
+5 gliders comes to 17.
Did I miss the loaf substitution when making the original synthesis?

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » July 24th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Goldtiger997 wrote:This may improve the synthesis of 18 gliders for the eater 4. ...
BlinkerSpawn wrote:I'm surprised this comes out to less than 18 considering that's precisely the seed that produced the original synthesis:
Nice. That saves 1 glider because the initial loaf is cheaper than the ship. What is surprising here is that the two interact slightly differently 3 times in succession before reaching the same evolution; this is why a pond won't work instead. I would only make one change; the ship elimination can be done much more cleanly (if not more cheaply):

x = 6, y = 6
boo$obo$oo$3boo$3bobo$3bo!

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » July 24th, 2016, 2:59 pm

mniemiec wrote:The ship elimination can be done much more cleanly (if not more cheaply):

x = 6, y = 6
boo$obo$oo$3boo$3bobo$3bo!
I was aware of that reaction, but having all 5 gliders in the same step meant the ship-cleaning glider was way off in space and I didn't feel like adjusting it further.

Hdjensofjfnen

Post by Hdjensofjfnen » July 24th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Pattern that produces 4 toads. Is this helpful?

x = 13, y = 15, rule = B3/S23
3bo5bo$2bobo3bobo$2o3bobo3b2o$4bo3bo$3bo5bo$o2bo5bo2bo$3bo5bo$5b3o$o2b
o5bo2bo$3bo5bo$3bo5bo$4bo3bo$2o3bobo3b2o$2bobo3bobo$3bo5bo!

x = 5, y = 9, rule = B3-jqr/S01c2-in3
3bo$4bo$o2bo$2o2$2o$o2bo$4bo$3bo!

x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S2-i3-y4i
4b3o$6bo$o3b3o$2o$bo!

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » July 26th, 2016, 5:03 am

Natural down blocker on dock:

x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
oobobbboooboobob$
oobbobbooooboobb$
oboobobbbbbbooob$
bobobbbboobbboob$
bbbbbbobooboooob$
obobobobbobbobbo$
oobbbobboooobbbb$
oboooboobboobboo$
bbbboobooooobbbb$
oobobbobbobbbobo$
oboboobbobooboob$
oobooooboobboobo$
boobboboboobobbb$
bbbbboooobobbooo$
bboboobobbbboobo$
bbbboobooooobobb!
Found by Calcyman.

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » July 26th, 2016, 9:52 am

13 gliders:

x = 162, y = 35, rule = B3/S23
29bo19bo19bo19bo19bo29bo$28bobo17bobo17bobo17bobo17bobo27bobo15b2o2b2o
$bo26bo2bo16bo2bo16bo2bo16bo2bo16bo2bo26bo2bo14bo4bo$2bo26b2o18b2o18b
2o18b2o18b2o28b2o16b4o$3o56bo$5bo4bo46b2o100b2o$3b2o4bo17b2o18b2o9b2o
7b2o18b2o18b2o28b2o20b2o$4b2o3b3o14bo2bo16bo2bo16bo2bo16bo2bo16bo2bo