Next steps on getting back to normal editing for OCA:tlife

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
confocaloid

Re: OCA:tlife

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 10:17 am

HerscheltheHerschel wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:15 am
confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:13 am
dvgrn is claiming existence of "consensus" on an issue on which there is no general agreement (I collected multiple quotes).
"no agreement" There is agreement. For example, I agree with transition because it's much more common.
There is no general agreement. I collected multiple quotes where people used the word 'condition' because it is the correct choice in that context.
confocaloid wrote:
November 29th, 2023, 8:15 pm
In the following posts, I posted a number of quotes from CA-related discussions / texts:
viewtopic.php?p=171595#p171595
viewtopic.php?p=171596#p171596
viewtopic.php?p=171671#p171671
viewtopic.php?p=172091#p172091
The words are not synonymous. These words have different meanings in relevant contexts.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 10:23 am

confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:17 am
December 11th, 2023, 10:15 am
confocaloid wrote:
dvgrn is claiming existence of "consensus" on an issue on which there is no general agreement (I collected multiple quotes).
"no agreement" There is agreement. For example, I agree with transition because it's much more common.
There is no general agreement. I collected multiple quotes where people used the word 'condition' because it is the correct choice in that context.
confocaloid wrote:
November 29th, 2023, 8:15 pm
In the following posts, I posted a number of quotes from CA-related discussions / texts:
viewtopic.php?p=171595#p171595
viewtopic.php?p=171596#p171596
viewtopic.php?p=171671#p171671
viewtopic.php?p=172091#p172091
The words are not synonymous. These words have different meanings in relevant contexts.
Transition has 3760 server-wide matches and condition has 1567.
Transition has 1388 forum matches and condition has 478.
(By the way, I edited the tlife page. Do not revert the edit because you cannot revert without violating the executive decision).
superstrings, fuses, waves, wicks, and agars are cool
30P5H2V0 IS A BAD, UNMEMORIZABLE NAME
moved to new account hth

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 10:25 am

December 11th, 2023, 10:23 am
confocaloid wrote:
You are ignoring what I wrote. The words 'condition' and 'transition' have different meanings in relevant contexts. These are not synonyms. Hence it is incorrect to refer to the number of search matches without considering the context.
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 10:28 am

confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:25 am
December 11th, 2023, 10:23 am
confocaloid wrote:
You are ignoring what I wrote. The words 'condition' and 'transition' have different meanings in relevant contexts. These are not synonyms. Hence it is incorrect to refer to the number of search matches without considering the context.
Confocaloid (and dvgrn), please stop this. If you guys stopped (at least for a bit), then general agreement could appear.
Also, stop reverting edits.
moved to new account hth

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 10:31 am

December 11th, 2023, 10:28 am
Confocaloid (and dvgrn), please stop this. If you guys stopped (at least for a bit), then general agreement could appear.
Actually, this is one of major complaints from myself, about what dvgrn is doing in all these terminology disputes.
Instead of letting people discuss the matter, they're constantly intervening with long "official-sounding" posts / attempts to get me out of the discussion, even where they're a side in the dispute with strong opinion.
Also, stop reverting edits.
Reverting an edit is one of ways to indicate disagreement. This is a feature.
Unlikely events happen.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 10:33 am

confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:31 am
Actually, this is one of major complaints from myself, about what dvgrn is doing in all these terminology disputes.
Instead of letting people discuss the matter, they're constantly intervening with long "official-sounding" posts / attempts to get me out of the discussion, even where they're a side in the dispute with strong opinion.
If you stopped, then dvgrn will stop too. You must stop first.
moved to new account hth

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 10:35 am

December 11th, 2023, 10:33 am
If you stopped, then dvgrn will stop too.
In my experience that is not the case (unfortunately).
Unlikely events happen.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 10:37 am

confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:35 am
December 11th, 2023, 10:33 am
If you stopped, then dvgrn will stop too.
In my experience that is not the case (unfortunately).
In 99.9999999999999999% of peoples experience, that is the case. You must stop more and surrender.
moved to new account hth

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 10:39 am

December 11th, 2023, 10:37 am
Well I attempted to explain what I think about this. It is your choice to accept or ignore my arguments and explanations.
Likewise, it is my choice to decide how to reconcile someone's claims with my own direct experience.

My own experience tells me that dvgrn is trying to harass me out of the community, because of our disagreements on terminology.
Unlikely events happen.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » December 11th, 2023, 10:44 am

confocaloid wrote:
Instead of letting people discuss the matter, dvgrn constantly inserts their long posts after my posts, flooding the discussion threads.
dvgrn is speaking as someone who is "above the argument" even though they're directly involved as a side.
This is harassment. They're trying to gain upper hand on the dispute and get me out.
This would only be harassment if he's specifically targeting you, personally. Trying to filibuster* an argument -- whilst being an underhanded tactic for winning a debate -- still isn't harassment unless it's consistently targeted at you, the person, rather than a particular idea/suggestion of yours. But dvgrn isn't consistently firing down all of your suggestions (dvgrn said "Mostly it looks to me like confocaloid makes good edits and keeps the LifeWiki more consistent than it would have been otherwise" on the Discord, for example), or being unfairly biased against suggestions that originate from you rather than from someone else (he's consistently attempted to resolve all sorts of edit wars over the years, which is befitting of a moderator). So you could say that he's persistently resisting a particular change that you've suggested, but he's doing so as a function of the content of the suggestion, not based on who suggested it.

*N.B. I don't think that's what's happening here, as dvgrn's posts tend to be lengthy in general (see the various planning threads he made for the RCT project), so 'their long posts' are typical of the author.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 10:50 am

confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:39 am
December 11th, 2023, 10:37 am
Well I attempted to explain what I think about this. It is your choice to accept or ignore my arguments and explanations.
Likewise, it is my choice to decide how to reconcile someone's claims with my own direct experience.

My own experience tells me that dvgrn is trying to harass me out of the community, because of our disagreements on terminology.
I choose to ignore your arguments and explanations.
moved to new account hth

haaaaaands

Re: Next steps on getting back to normal editing for OCA:tlife

Post by haaaaaands » December 11th, 2023, 11:50 am

we're getting nowhere. calm down, confocaloid, you're only making this more difficult!
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

my hands are typing words!

currently offline. work sucks.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 12:06 pm

calcyman wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:44 am
This would only be harassment if he's specifically targeting you, personally. Trying to filibuster* an argument -- whilst being an underhanded tactic for winning a debate -- still isn't harassment unless it's consistently targeted at you, the person, rather than a particular idea/suggestion of yours.
According to my own direct experience, dvgrn is specifically targeting me and my actions.
dvgrn wrote:
November 20th, 2023, 4:10 pm
At the moment, I'm not at all clear that this recent edit by confocaloid to the tlife page is any kind of improvement. I've reverted that change for now, mostly to register a clear objection. Otherwise I would be somewhat worried that similar "transition" -> "condition" replacements might start happening on other pages.
This is directly targeted at me. There are no actual explanations for why the changes would be bad.

dvgrn says they reverted my edit "mostly to register a clear objection", while at the same time saying it is "a reasonable idea" and "a little more precise". Instead of directly addressing my specific rewording in OCA:tlife, dvgrn accuses me of planning edits on other pages. Even then, dvgrn does not directly explain why any such edits would be bad.
dvgrn wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 1:44 pm
[...]
We can try to keep the discussion focused better on the actual issue in the future, instead of accidentally slipping so much into discussion about the discussion (which I know I'm doing in this post, by the way -- my apologies for that!).
[...]
The quoted post by dvgrn appeared right after one of my attempts to explain myself.
dvgrn's post is offtopic in that thread (discussing general policies, stating expectations of "future cases", etc.)
The post has effect of disrupting discussion flow, and giving appearance that all the actual feedback is simply ignored.
dvgrn wrote:
November 28th, 2023, 2:05 pm
There's currently no evidence of current community support for retaining confocaloid's change of 'transition' to 'condition' in those four places. That edit can be safely rolled back for now, and it should not be re-done unless some significant new information comes in from new participants in the discussion.
Here dvgrn ignores the many quotes I posted (where multiple people at different times actually chose to use the word 'condition' in relevant CA-related contexts).
Dvgrn also ignores that out of few people other than dvgrn or me,
  • some ( viewtopic.php?p=171889#p171889 ) did not express any specific preference one way or another,
  • some expressed their opinions/preferences on general usage but did not directly object to my rewording in OCA:tlife,
  • statements "the word 'transition' is commonly used" are not an argument against 'condition', because 'condition' is also commonly used, and because the words have differing meanings.
Just because there's no major support for my edit, does not mean it "has to be reverted" or "can safely be reverted".
The claim "That edit can be safely rolled back for now,..." by dvgrn is targeted at my actions specifically, and dvgrn asserts that it's OK to undo my edit, without giving adequate explanation/evidence for that.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 12:12 pm

I made this userpage which might be useful:
User:HerscheltheHerschel/How_to_stop_an_edit_war
moved to new account hth

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » December 11th, 2023, 12:24 pm

December 11th, 2023, 12:12 pm
...which already got a deletion tag :/

confocaloiiiiiiiiid stoooop aaaaaaaaaa (i checked history and duh, he added it because of the excuse that got us here)
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

azulavoir

Re: Bruh

Post by azulavoir » December 11th, 2023, 12:28 pm

confocaloid wrote:
It seems to me like you are trying to harass yourself out of the community, using him as your method.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 12:31 pm

haaaaaands wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 12:24 pm
December 11th, 2023, 12:12 pm
...which already got a deletion tag :/

confocaloiiiiiiiiid stoooop aaaaaaaaaa (i checked history and duh, he added it because of the excuse that got us here)
I started a topic on the article's talk page.
moved to new account hth

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » December 11th, 2023, 12:31 pm

azulavoir wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 12:28 pm
confocaloid wrote:
It seems to me like you are trying to harass yourself out of the community, using him as your method.
if you no longer want to be here you can leave, no need to edit war on a lame topic that could very well make it into this list.
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 12:34 pm

azulavoir wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 12:28 pm
confocaloid wrote:
Whether or not I'll be able to remain here is not the most important question.

When I wrote "My own experience" above, I meant several relatively recent (a few months) disagreements on terminology-related questions, including this.
dvgrn's actions in these disputes do not help to resolve the actual disagreements. I believe dvgrn was acting destructively in all these terminology debates (mainly by trying to control the discussion artificially, instead of letting people discuss the issue).
Unlikely events happen.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 11th, 2023, 12:35 pm

confocaloid wrote:
confocaloid, the truth is exactly the opposite. I've spent all this time and listened to all these complaints and insults from you, because I'm very interested in keeping you in the community.

You've been making that goal extraordinarily difficult recently -- not following LW:DR rules at all, not giving discussions enough time to play out, repeating yourself an awful lot, edit warring, labeling people "troll" and so forth. You just continued the OCA:tlife edit war yet again, this time with HerscheltheHerschel.

For the time being, just so you don't dig yourself into a deeper hole, I've removed the trusted flag from your LifeWiki account.

Look at the recent history of OCA:tlife. Is that really how you want these kinds of editing disagreements to play out in the future? None of the huge unnecessary mess in that edit history would have happened if you had simply been able to follow my executive decision (whether you liked it or agreed with it or not) and -- if after a week you still thought the issue was important -- use the escalation procedure outlined in LW:DR to try to get my executive decision overturned.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 12:40 pm

dvgrn wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 12:35 pm
my executive decision
There was no meaningful way for you to make an "executive decision" on the condition/transition issue where you were the first person to disagree with my rewording, and actively continued to do so. You are a side in this dispute.
Unlikely events happen.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 12:44 pm

confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 12:40 pm
dvgrn wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 12:35 pm
my executive decision
There was no meaningful way for you to make an "executive decision" on the condition/transition issue where you were the first person to disagree with my rewording, and actively continued to do so. You are a side in this dispute.
That's not true. Haycat was the first person to disagree with your rewording.
If you need proof, here's a screenshot:
moved to new account hth

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 12:47 pm

December 11th, 2023, 12:44 pm
They reverted two unrelated changes (diff: https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?diff ... did=141270 ), without giving an edit summary that could explain what is the objection. It is an unexplained revert, not an objection to one of changes in the edit.

Shortly before that, Haycat2009 created a redirect ( https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?titl ... did=141235 ) from the alternate name not in common use that I removed from the page. I assume that they objected to my removal of "Thigh Life" from the page, and not to my rewording of "transition" to "condition".
But they never explained the actual reason. An unexplained revert is not a valid objection.
Unlikely events happen.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 11th, 2023, 12:52 pm

confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 12:47 pm
December 11th, 2023, 12:44 pm
They reverted two unrelated changes (diff: https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?diff ... did=141270 ), without giving an edit summary that could explain what is the objection. It is an unexplained revert, not an objection to one of changes in the edit.

Shortly before that, Haycat2009 created a redirect ( https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?titl ... did=141235 ) from the alternate name not in common use that I removed from the page. I assume that they objected to my removal of "Thigh Life" from the page, and not to my rewording of "transition" to "condition".
But they never explained the actual reason. An unexplained revert is not a valid objection.
Anyways, there is no need to edit war on a lame topic that could very well make it into this list.
moved to new account hth

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 11th, 2023, 12:53 pm

December 11th, 2023, 12:52 pm
Anyways, there is no need to edit war on a lame topic that could very well make it into this list.
confocaloid wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 12:34 pm
Whether or not I'll be able to remain here is not the most important question.

When I wrote "My own experience" above, I meant several relatively recent (a few months) disagreements on terminology-related questions, including this.
dvgrn's actions in these disputes do not help to resolve the actual disagreements. I believe dvgrn was acting destructively in all these terminology debates (mainly by trying to control the discussion artificially, instead of letting people discuss the issue).
Unlikely events happen.