Non-default viewer themes / themes with history cells

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
confocaloid

Non-default viewer themes / themes with history cells

Post by confocaloid » November 16th, 2023, 7:23 am

Previous discussion: https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?titl ... ewer_theme
This is intended as a continuation of a now-inactive tiki bar discussion. Brief summary / background:
  • ~1 year ago I started selectively changing viewer theme to "THEME Book" for some patterns shown on the wiki, as part of an attempt to understand how to present patterns on the wiki. There were objections to some of those changes.
  • Judging by previous discussion, there is no general agreement to use non-default themes, except in cases where it is agreed that visible envelope helps to understand the pattern.
  • There may or may not be general agreement to use "THEME Book" for least-common-multiple oscillators.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

Chris857

Re: Non-default viewer themes / themes with history cells

Post by Chris857 » November 16th, 2023, 11:07 am

I at least like how the Book theme does a decent job showing the high-period cell(s) of an LCM oscillator.

confocaloid

Re: Non-default viewer themes / themes with history cells

Post by confocaloid » January 16th, 2024, 6:21 am

I think recent edits in the infoboxes in pages 0-degree colour-preserving reflector (March 2023) and Galumpher should be reverted, to restore the plain black-and-white display (default theme).

Unlike the embedded viewers in the main part of the article, there was never any discussion of non-default themes in the infobox, as far as I know. Almost all pages with an infobox and a viewer in the infobox use default theme in the infobox, and it makes sense to keep consistency on this.

In addition, infoboxes (unlike embedded viewers in the main part) lack an associated caption that could be used to explain the meaning of different colours in the highlighted reaction envelope to a LifeWiki reader.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.