How do I submit directly to Catagolue?

For discussion of other cellular automata.
Ivy

How do I submit directly to Catagolue?

Post by Ivy » April 22nd, 2024, 3:34 pm

I have a spaceship in b3678s34678 that I do not see in Catagolue, and want to directly submit it, but apgsearch seems to only submit anything it "discovers", and I want to submit a specific pattern. Also, what does a symmetry mean? (aka symmetry C1)

confocaloid

Re: How do I submit directly to Catagolue?

Post by confocaloid » April 22nd, 2024, 3:40 pm

Ivy wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 3:34 pm
I have a spaceship in b3678s34678 that I do not see in Catagolue, and want to directly submit it, but apgsearch seems to only submit anything it "discovers", and I want to submit a specific pattern.
Why not post it here on the forums instead? This way, if it's indeed new, then people will be able to know you discovered it.

Catagolue is primarily intended for collecting results of automated soup search using apgsearch. In particular, it is often hard to extract some kind of useful discovery information about objects tabulated on Catagolue.
Ivy wrote:
Also, what does a symmetry mean? (aka symmetry C1)
In the context of Catagolue, it is better to describe things like "C1" and "D2_x" as Catagolue censuses, rather than symmetries.
Every such census collects results of soup search with pseudorandom soups of a specific kind.

Note that there are censuses that aren't symmetries. For example, see https://catagolue.hatsya.com/census/b3s23/8x32 and https://catagolue.hatsya.com/census/b3s23/iC1
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » April 22nd, 2024, 3:42 pm

How would I post it on here? I'm not too familiar with the forums or catalogue. should I make a new topic? or how would I?

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » April 22nd, 2024, 3:46 pm

Ivy wrote:
I have a spaceship in b3678s34678 that I do not see in Catagolue, [...]
Ivy wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 3:42 pm
How would I post it on here? I'm not too familiar with the forums or catalogue. should I make a new topic? or how would I?
This cellular automaton is known under the name "Day and Night" and there's a dedicated forum thread for it, where you can post patterns if you believe they are new: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=702

In general, patterns can be posted in one of the following threads:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1971 "Miscellaneous Discoveries in Other Cellular Automata"
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=803 "Thread For Your Unrecognised CA" (you can post there if you think nobody previously investigated your CA)
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » April 22nd, 2024, 4:26 pm

If a pattern was already posted in a more specific existing thread (e.g. the dedicated forum thread for some well-explored CA), then usually it is better to avoid reposting it in a more general thread (like MDiOCA or TFYUCA).

For example people who are interested in HighLife (B36/S23) are more likely to go to the dedicated forum thread for this ruleset ( viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2332 ) to read about what's known.

General collection threads like MDiOCA and TFYUCA are a good fit when there's no more specific thread to post. Almost all rulesets aren't well-explored enough to warrant a dedicated thread, or don't have any unique properties.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » April 22nd, 2024, 4:30 pm

alr, i'm just kinda impatient :/ i'll avoid doing it from now on tho